cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shall I leave a balance on discoverIT in hopes of CLI?

tag
Uppingmyscore
Established Contributor

Re: Shall I leave a balance on discoverIT in hopes of CLI?

@Uppingmyscore wrote:

Next month will be my 1 year anniversary for Discover.  I've gotten 3 auto CLI's and 1 HP (3,500 to 10,000) all while using the card heavy and leaving a balance.  Why not take advantage of the 14 month zero interest??? It's worked for me and all my other cards-guess YMMV.  

I'll add that I make multiple large payments thoughout the billing cycle.

My Wallet: Amex Express BCE $27,000, Amex Express Blue Sky $6,000, Delta SkyMiles $10,000, Discover $14,000, Chase Freedom $23,500, Capital One $8,000, SAMS $10,000, and LOWES $10,000
Message 11 of 17
12njoy
Super Contributor

@zeedakay wrote:

@firesword wrote:

@KennyRS wrote:
To me, people have a better chance of getting a CLI if they are paying in full. Discover or not.

That has not been my experience.

I'm actually surprised to say I'd have to agree with you. I feel just as different creditors use different criteria to gauge you for approval of cards, they use the same system to assign your credit line. I say this because about 2 weeks ago I decided to call discover and cap1 for a CLI. Even though I've had cap1 for 2 years longer, and carried similar if not lower balances on the cap1, with both cards having the same credit lines discover bumped me $1000 and cap 1 declined me. Their reasoning was I didn't use enough of my credit line. 

There could be truth to that.  I recently applied for a 2nd US Bank card.  They denied me because they said I wasn't using the available credit that I have.  I use a very small fraction of it (1-3%) and always PIF.  I'm going to start carrying a small balance on a couple of cards and see what happens.  I know you should only carry a balance on one card to maximize your FICO score, but I'm going to see if carrying a balance will help me with US Bank.  At the time I applied I only had a $292 balance reporting on one card.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 12 of 17
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Echo most replies. Discover loves when I carry a balance. I get auto credit increases a month or 2 later. I actually already received 2 small ones thiss year. After end of the year xmas shopping I received one in January PIF & then again this month after carrying balance from March. I remember last year carrying balance & getting one in July, I'd received one in Feb too whole carrying the previous years xmas balance.

My auto CLI always seem to correlate with carrying a balance vs the times I PIF which is regularly.
EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 13 of 17
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a 1000 limit discoverIT. For the first three months I always PIF. The fourth month I charged $600 to it and let it report and only payed 50 of it or something, I ended up getting a CLI to $1300 a few days afterwards. I've noticed that discover likes balances reporting. Now, since my card as the 0% intro apr, should I keep a high balance for the next 10 months, only paying $50 or so each month? (I have the money to PIF but I dont think I should if I want a CLI). Furthermore, what impact will this have on my FICO score aside from utilization? I know that fico takes into account payment history.  Will carrying a balance over from month to month ruin my fico score? I'm really considering keeping my discoverIT at ~1000 for the next several months while paying off a little more than the minimum payment because I think Ill get a CLI that way. I just dont want this to hurt the "payment history" part of my FICO score. Thanks!

From what i have heard and know , Discover likes a bal and multiple payments each month. On the multiple payments a Discover CSR told me, that's  good and they like to see it

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 14 of 17
Jlu
Established Contributor

IME

High balances = no CLI (auto or manual)

Low balance = auto CLI

No balance = could go either way

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, seems like most people corroborated my beliefs. Can anyone address the credit ding Ill take by leaving a balance (aside from utilization what else will suffer)? IF any?

Message 16 of 17
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

The minimal drop for util shouldn't matter unless you plan on apping. That's when you should want to maximize your FICO scores.
Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.