Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shell Mastercard rewards is becoming a lot less rewarding

tag
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Shell Mastercard rewards is becoming a lot less rewarding

I've been using the Shell MC exclusively for gas purchases for the past 3.5 years.  It has paid me 5% cash back on Shell gas purchases, which recently has meant nearly 20 cents back per gallon.  Sadly, they're drastically changing their rewards program.

Starting at the end of July, no rewards will be paid unless I charge at least $500 a month.  If I charge $500-$999.99, I get a 10 cent per gallon rebate.  $1000-$2499.99 gets me 15 cents per gallon; >$2500 gets me 20 cents.

On average, I only charge about $200 in gas per month, so I don't come close to the $500 threshold for what will amount to a ~2.5% rebate.  So, I guess I'll be using the Costco Amex for gas now.

* sigh * It was nice while it lasted, but I was expecting this all along.  I'm actually surprised that it didn't happen sooner. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ReVeLaTeD
Regular Contributor

Re: Shell Mastercard rewards is becoming a lot less rewarding

@Lel wrote:

I've been using the Shell MC exclusively for gas purchases for the past 3.5 years.  It has paid me 5% cash back on Shell gas purchases, which recently has meant nearly 20 cents back per gallon.  Sadly, they're drastically changing their rewards program.

Starting at the end of July, no rewards will be paid unless I charge at least $500 a month.  If I charge $500-$999.99, I get a 10 cent per gallon rebate.  $1000-$2499.99 gets me 15 cents per gallon; >$2500 gets me 20 cents.

On average, I only charge about $200 in gas per month, so I don't come close to the $500 threshold for what will amount to a ~2.5% rebate.  So, I guess I'll be using the Costco Amex for gas now.

* sigh * It was nice while it lasted, but I was expecting this all along.  I'm actually surprised that it didn't happen sooner. Smiley Sad

Thank you.  I was considering getting this card once Citi considers me clean...but such a cutback is a bona fide dealbreaker.  Looks like they've altered the cards for the Escalade crew.

Credit Cards:
| Cabrillo Credit Union MasterCard @ $3,000 | Chevron Visa @ $2,000 | Amazon Store Card @ $1,800 | HSBC 2% Rewards MasterCard @ $950 (redeemed themselves)
Message 2 of 6
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

In other words, unless you're going 50 miles each way to work every day, you're not getting rewards.  That sucks!

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 3 of 6
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

Just looked at the notice again, and the rewards are even worse.  The per-gallon rebate on applies to the first 100 gallons of gas that you purchase.  So even if I reach the $500 threshold (which can be met with any purchases, not just Shell gas), the maximum rebate that I'd get in any month would be 2% ($10 / $500).  With higher charges, the return gets worse ($15 / $1000 = 1.5% and $20 / $2500 = 0.8%).

I might end up closing this card.  It has no AF, but only if I use it 10 times a year.  With the change in the incentives, I'm probably not going to use it again.  It's my youngest card, so its eventual drop off my credit reports won't have as significant effect on AAoA.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lel wrote:

Just looked at the notice again, and the rewards are even worse.  The per-gallon rebate on applies to the first 100 gallons of gas that you purchase.  So even if I reach the $500 threshold (which can be met with any purchases, not just Shell gas), the maximum rebate that I'd get in any month would be 2% ($10 / $500).  With higher charges, the return gets worse ($15 / $1000 = 1.5% and $20 / $2500 = 0.8%).

I might end up closing this card.  It has no AF, but only if I use it 10 times a year.  With the change in the incentives, I'm probably not going to use it again.  It's my youngest card, so its eventual drop off my credit reports won't have as significant effect on AAoA.

Lel,  what is the CL on that card?  How would you like to just use it once in a 6 months or so to just keep it on active status?   That's happen to some of my ccs due to the rewards redemption went worth and the card became useless.

That's good thing if you are really going to close it.

Message 5 of 6
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Ugh, that's too bad.  It seems good rewards with ccs usually come to an end.  I have the Shell gas card where it's only .05/gal off.  Do you live in a state with a Stop N Shop?  Because of them and their grocery points, the last Shell fill-up I paid $3.64/gal.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.