Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shooting for Amex....

tag
BrickTime
Established Member

Shooting for Amex....

I had an AMEX Green back in the 1990's and it was closed by them, but immediately paid in full by me.  It had a member date of since 1996.  Over the years, I have handled credit well, and I have had times where I completely screwed things up. What I am wanting is some prime cards, and the top of that list for me is AMEX PRG and BCE.  My middle score is a 659 currently.

The good:  3 credit cards open, perfect payment history going back to 2005.

No current inquiries on Experian, 4 on Equifax, and 1 on TU

WF Auto Loan, 36 months into 60 Term.  absolute perfect payment history (pay more than minimum since inception0

Oldest account 18 years, average of account 8 years

Verifiable income of 75,000 per year.

No public records, BK, repo, judgements, liens, etc.

The Bad:  30, 60, 90, 120 lates on Student loan, but nothing late since 2009.  Everything current now.

2 charge-offs credit cards.  One never paid due to fall off report in 2013.  One paid in full in collections in 2011. (last activity had been 2007)

No mortgage.

63% Util.

my question is do I have a decent chance of getting approved for AMEX in my current situation?  I realize that a revolver would be hard to get, what what about PRG?  Should I just sit in the garden for another year or two instead?  My score has been stuck where it is for about a year now.  Not sure what else to do other than getting my utilization down.  I should be able to get utilization under 15% within a few months at the most.  Has anyone been approved for an AMEX with a comparable profile to mine?  I really don't want the Delta Gold Amex because I don't really ever fly Delta and even if I did, I have heard that it is pretty worthless card for reward miles/redemption.  Any advice would be great!

Chase Southwest Airlines Signature Visa 18k, Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards 15.5k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 8.5k, American Express PR Gold- NPSL, American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 8k, Home Depot 7k, Capital One Rewards 3.75k, Wells Fargo PLOC 10k. all 3 scores 735-740.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Shooting for Amex....

You know you can PC Delta Gold right away to BCE right?

To be honest, 90 and 120 days late are going to be a deal braker here. Especially 120 days late, it is almost as bad as a collection.

Message 2 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@BrickTime wrote:

I had an AMEX Green back in the 1990's and it was closed by them, but immediately paid in full by me.  It had a member date of since 1996.  Over the years, I have handled credit well, and I have had times where I completely screwed things up. What I am wanting is some prime cards, and the top of that list for me is AMEX PRG and BCE.  My middle score is a 659 currently.

The good:  3 credit cards open, perfect payment history going back to 2005.

No current inquiries on Experian, 4 on Equifax, and 1 on TU

WF Auto Loan, 36 months into 60 Term.  absolute perfect payment history (pay more than minimum since inception0

Oldest account 18 years, average of account 8 years

Verifiable income of 75,000 per year.

No public records, BK, repo, judgements, liens, etc.

The Bad:  30, 60, 90, 120 lates on Student loan, but nothing late since 2009.  Everything current now.

2 charge-offs credit cards.  One never paid due to fall off report in 2013.  One paid in full in collections in 2011. (last activity had been 2007)

No mortgage.

63% Util.

my question is do I have a decent chance of getting approved for AMEX in my current situation?  I realize that a revolver would be hard to get, what what about PRG?  Should I just sit in the garden for another year or two instead?  My score has been stuck where it is for about a year now.  Not sure what else to do other than getting my utilization down.  I should be able to get utilization under 15% within a few months at the most.  Has anyone been approved for an AMEX with a comparable profile to mine?  I really don't want the Delta Gold Amex because I don't really ever fly Delta and even if I did, I have heard that it is pretty worthless card for reward miles/redemption.  Any advice would be great!

I wish I could speak from Amex experience but in my rejection letter Smiley Sadlast month, they said my balances were too high to limit and my util was only 10% (stupid mid cycle reporting) and amount of recent accounts.  The score from my Exp was 702, oldest account 28 years, AAOA 8 years, $300 coll due to fall off in March, paid mortgage, paying on student loans forever- no lates, new Chase auto loan 6mos but all revolving credit was new-so off to the garden I go unil 2013.  My 'new credit' will be almost 9 mos.

Hope that gives you some help in your decision.   

Message 3 of 8
BrickTime
Established Member

Thanks for the feedback. I think I pretty much knew what the answer was going to be, but was holding out that maybe I could get my foot in the door with a 650ish score- at least a charge card. 3 years removed from the 90 and 120 baddies. Hoped that start to gradually fade in factoring my score more than it has. Just tired of a stagnant score and don't want to waste an inquiry until I have a reasonable chance.
Chase Southwest Airlines Signature Visa 18k, Wells Fargo Platinum Rewards 15.5k, Capital One Venture World MasterCard 8.5k, American Express PR Gold- NPSL, American Express Hilton Honors Surpass 8k, Home Depot 7k, Capital One Rewards 3.75k, Wells Fargo PLOC 10k. all 3 scores 735-740.
Message 4 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

You can try for gold or green. I got zync with a paid public record and a paid collection; and a 90 day on a wells Fargo cc reporting.

Be prepared for a decline though... I would say your chances are probably 50/50
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

Do you have a particular reason to possess an Amex card soon? If not, gardening for a couple of months will help your chances a lot.... Your score seems too low, even for charge cards.

Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@HiLine wrote:

Do you have a particular reason to possess an Amex card soon? If not, gardening for a couple of months will help your chances a lot.... Your score seems too low, even for charge cards.

His income is high and file is probably thick.... I think he should go for it and if declined just wait 6 months.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
BrickTime
Established Member

It's not critical that I get one soon, but I travel a lot for work and get fully reimbursed so I could really take advantage if the Amex benefits. Also, I am anxious to replace the Capital One rebuilders with prime cards like Amex and Hilton Honors, CSP, etc.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.