cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopping cart trick work while in the garden?

tag
SirCredit
Valued Member

Shopping cart trick work while in the garden?

Went on a bit of a spree and am relaxing in the garden at the moment. Will the shopping trick work for folks like me, or am I SOL? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Shopping cart trick work while in the garden?

What do you mean by "folks like me"?

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't understand the question. The shopping cart trick will open a new account if you're approved. You will not get a hard pull, but you'll still get a new account on your credit report.  That will take you out of the garden.

Message 3 of 16
SirCredit
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't understand the question. The shopping cart trick will open a new account if you're approved. You will not get a hard pull, but you'll still get a new account on your credit report.  That will take you out of the garden.

Sorry, thought the garden term was widely understood here -- that's where I picked it up! Recently went wild and applied to a bunch (HP) and got approved for a bunch, so sitting in "the garden" for the next 6 months.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think they understood what garden meant.  They were just saying that if you are applying (even SCT), then you are not "gardening".  I was asking what you meant by "folks like me".  I didn'tnt knows what group of people you were referring to.

Message 5 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

If you go to the "garden" thread, you will see what is considered to be "in the garden" on the first page.  

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 6 of 16
SirCredit
Valued Member

Okay, got it. Definnitely looks like I didn't fully understand the term. i'm new here, so will read up on it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

In more specific terms, I went on a spree and now have about 10 HP on my reports. Could the shopping cart trick still work, or do I need to hold off for some time?

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

The shopping cart trick is very hit or miss. honestly I wouldn't bother with it, store cards are not all that great and can affect you negatively. 

Gardening means you are not aquiring any new credit, shopping cart trick included. You can work on SP's for your current cards. 

Message 8 of 16
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

@SirCredit wrote:

Okay, got it. Definnitely looks like I didn't fully understand the term. i'm new here, so will read up on it. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

In more specific terms, I went on a spree and now have about 10 HP on my reports. Could the shopping cart trick still work, or do I need to hold off for some time?

Is there a reason that you are wanting to do the SCT?  If you've opened some new cards lately then you probably don't need to do the SCT, unless there is a specific card you are wanting that has good perks.  If you're rebuilding, I would garden for awhile and let those inquiries start to drop off while bringing your scores up.  Opening new store cards will probably delay you from the ultimate goal....better cards, lower rates, higher SL's

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 9 of 16
SirCredit
Valued Member

Good tips here guys, and I think you're right. I'll just make small purchase and pay off, aim for CLI's and hold off for a bit on new cards until I see my score break 700.

I think it was just the addiction of approvals and new lines of credit, but your advice makes sense. I would like the Lowes card though...

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.