cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Short & Sweet. What’s your #2 2019 credit card goal? Let’s assume gardening is #1.

Valued Contributor

Re: Short & Sweet. What’s your #2 2019 credit card goal? Let’s assume gardening is #1.

Now thats a sweet goal @oldman.

Congrats on being so close.

EX 792, TU795, EQ 799
|| NFCU CashRewards $25K || AmX ED $25K || Discover IT $15.7K || Macy's $15K || AmX Magnate $11.5K || NFCU Platinum $7.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 21 of 71
Valued Contributor

Re: Short & Sweet. What’s your #2 2019 credit card goal? Let’s assume gardening is #1.

Nice read @woodogmom.

I’m rooting for ya.

EX 792, TU795, EQ 799
|| NFCU CashRewards $25K || AmX ED $25K || Discover IT $15.7K || Macy's $15K || AmX Magnate $11.5K || NFCU Platinum $7.5K || CitiCostco $7K || CitiDC $6.3K ||
Message 22 of 71
Valued Contributor

To allow my credit to age like a fine wine not moldy bread..  wine.gif

To get my husband to stop shopping like a teenage GURL!  

Message 23 of 71
Senior Contributor

#1 Garden for at least 7 days straight.

#2 Learn how the "Oldman87" collects bank bonuses and use them to my advantage.

#3 Apply..at will.. spontaneously... for every SUB I can meet..the end.😂🤣

>
Message 24 of 71
Valued Member

Such a great question Smiley Happy

Learn to manage my new line up of CCs in my lifestyle and get the maximum benefits - rewards, etc. - from them.  Keep UTI in the best low range, pay all to zero but 1 monthly.  

Keep watch, adjust accordingly, and manage to try to increase scores over 700 (almost there!).

Cap1 ($2800) Cap1 ($4500) AMEX Delta Skymiles ($1000) Discover IT ($3300) Chase ($5600)
Best Buy ($2000) Target ($300) Ann Taylor ($500)
EQ: 521 EX: 546 TU: 533 2/16/18
EQ: 657 EX: 658 TU: 655 4/5/18
EQ: 677 EX: 660 TU: 676 11/28/18
Goal: 750
Message 25 of 71
Valued Contributor

@Gmood1 wrote:

How about team work? You churn CC SUBs for me, I churn deposit account SUBs for you.
Message 26 of 71
Senior Contributor

@oldman87 wrote:

@Gmood1 wrote:

How about team work? You churn CC SUBs for me, I churn deposit account SUBs for you.

Sounds like a plan Oldman!😁

>
Message 27 of 71
Senior Contributor

Whether through CCs or deposit accounts, to get a few bonuses that are useful...without making a long-term commitment to some new transfer partner/award chart or financial institution.

Protections: CSR, Schwab Platinum, Costco, Double Cash
Rewards/Offers: BBP, CF, CFU, Discover, ED, BCE
Annual nights: IHG, Hyatt
PIN: Arrival
Bonus chasing/retention games: Aviator Red, SPG Luxury
Message 28 of 71
Established Contributor

Excellent post, OP.  I forgot all about my credit for over 2 years and came back to the forum yesterday to learn I had earned a diamond in my signature.  I remember thinking it was hopeless getting one in 2016. Now that i have it I want to keep it & do what I can on SP’s alone.  

Being that my FICO 8 scores are above 700 across the board with 58% reported utilization:

Goal #1: to lower my utilization to 1%

Goal #2: raise my overall CL to 100k 

Goal #3: get into the 800 club 

edit: I PIF 2 accounts last week totaling $17k+. My util is now under 30% just not reported to CRAs yet.  

myFICO

Message 29 of 71
Valued Member

I have just started rebuilding, so I definitely need more cards (only have one so far, and it's never going to be unsecured so is no long-term keeper).

#1 Get my FICO up to 650-670 (or above) by the end of 2019. I just had a big jump in my FICO score after a sizable debt was paid off; I suspect that growth will be more gradual from now on.

#2 Space my apps out so they're not all in one big clump. I want all new cards NOW! But I must use discipline. A new card every three months or so? 

#3 Next card: Discover secured (have already been preapproved). After that, unless my FICO score goes up dramatically, I'll probably get another secured card (that can eventually graduate to unsecured). After that, hopefully something from a reputable bank, unsecured, for "fair" credit, and something that maybe has a few rewards or points, but no annual fee?

#4 I lost all my well-aged cards this year when my finances went bust. They still help my average age of accounts for now, but they'll fall off my report in 7-10 years. Almost every card that I get from now on WILL be kept open, even if I hardly ever use it. So they just have to not suck too much.  

#5 I don't want to be stuck with $300 limits, but on the other hand, $50,000+ combined limit is overkill for me. A few cards with over $1000 limit that would suit me fine for 2019. 

FICO8: Nov 20, 2018:
FICO8: Dec 6, 2018:
Goal for December 2019: FICO 640-700

Green Dot Secured Visa! Oooooh!

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 615
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 71