Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot down for Blue Cash, any thoughts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shot down for Blue Cash, any thoughts?

So first some background info.

I am 26 and have never had a late payment in my life.  I have had a visa through wells fargo since 2005 and have paid the balance off at the end of the month all but maye twice since I got the card.  The current limit is 10200 and I keep the balance between 1k and 3k.  I recently paid off a boat loan for 25K and a motorcycle for 12k.  I have also paid off my student loans completely and am currently 100% debt free with the exception of what is on the visa.  This is the only account I have applied for since July 2011 which was the motorcycle loan which is already paid off.  All of my other accounts I have are older than the Visa (pre 2005) and are all in good standing.

I thought this would be a good time to apply for a card from another lender with better offerings than wells fargo.  Apparently I was wrong.  I applied in early August and was denied, I called to have them look it over again and was again denied.  I recieved the rejection letter that said my FICO score was 730 at the time of the application and the reasons given for the decline in the letter were: lack of recent revolving account information, amount owed on accounts too high, too few accounts currently paid as agreed, and something else about a revolving account.  

I opened a savings account with amex following the decline hoping that it might make a difference for the next time I apply (wishful thinking).  I am trying to leave wells fargo slowly so that I do not dramatically decrease the average account life now that I have been in the same spot for so long.  Anyway, I would really appreciate some insight into why amex is being so stingy and how to make myself more appealing to them.  I am not the most experienced in the area but I can not see what the issue is.  Beyond that, the csr's at amex suck and are of zero help at all.  Thanks

-ham

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Re: Shot down for Blue Cash, any thoughts?

That's so weird... There have been other threads with posters who have like mid to high 600's getting approved for this card. I'd double check your reports!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for fraud?

Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only issue that I really see is only having one credit card, honestly I'm pretty surprised you were denied.  I've never really thought of the Amex Blue cards as being that hard to obtain.  I guess you could apply for another card that interests you then apply for Amex again after it reports for a few months.  I guess you can also make sure that you report a <10% balance on your previous card (0 on your second if you go that route) when you apply.

Message 4 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Did you have a balance at all reporting when you apped? Not sure if I missed that in your original post.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 21
DeadSpider
Frequent Contributor

+1

I think you need to have 2-3 credit card for better approval.

They don't see LOANS as revolving credit.

Message 6 of 21
Jlu
Established Contributor

BCP or BCE?

If BCP I'm marginally surprised at your denial and would recommend opening a second CC.

If BCE I'm extremely surprised at your denial and would recommend pulling your CRs.
AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Blue Cash Everyday, not the preferred.  I did have a balance at the time of the application and it could have been anything from 800 to 2500 on the visa.  I have pulled the credit report from experian since to see if there is anything funky on there, but I have not received it yet.  Either way I am rather frusterated with the whole thing and do not really know what a good next step is.

-ham

Message 8 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Balance may have been too high if 2500 was reporting.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 21
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Op I would pull your credit report from experian (or whoever amex put on your denial letter) to see what's going on. The denial reasons cited seem odd given your description of your credit history. 

Did you have a balance reporting on your wells Fargo card when you applied? If you had no balance reporting that could be a reason for the denial. for reference, a 1-9% balance reporting at the time of application would have been ideal.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.