Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shot down on the Barclay Arrival

tag
iwazl71
Frequent Contributor

Re: Shot down on the Barclay Arrival

That's just crazy.  Only 4 and you got denied? I opened up 21 new accounts in the last 9 months to a tune of 300k credit limit and Barclays still gave me a high limit CC.  But my TU fico has been around 800 for the last 12 months so YMMV.

Scores: EQ 796, EX 790, TU 807
Personal and Business Cards: 31 with 763k
High Limit Cards: CSP 50k | BoA Cash 81k | NFCU flagship 60k | Penfed Rewards 50k | Aviator Silver 52k
Message 11 of 15
nois
Regular Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Sorry for the denial.

I was approved with arrival last year after I had acquired 6 other accounts. The Barclays rep on the phone said, "I see you just opened 6 new accounts in the past 5 months." But she still approved me. YMMV. Smiley Indifferent

Similar situation with me... I opened a Sallie Mae, AMEX, and US Bank CC account in October last year. I opened CSP and Freedom in January. And just last week applied for the Arrival getting the under review message. I called to discuss and the rep said it was under review because I had just recently opened the Sallie Mae account.  But I did end up getting an approval on that call. Still waiting for my card in the mail.  fyi... util was <1%. AAoA is 6 yrs oldest is 13.5 yrs.

FEB 2014 EQ: 798 EX: 780 TU: 798
Message 12 of 15
Happychap
Frequent Contributor

Logic doesn't always prevail in cc approvals ...Especially when you go through the recon route, because then decisions become subjective so one analyst may have no problem approving your recon based on too many Inqs but another would certainly not.
Message 13 of 15
snowkitty
Established Contributor

My aaoa is about 13 months. My oldest card is 18 months old. I have opened csp, boa travel and sw in the past 6 months. The sw card is not even showing up yet. I have a pif mortgage on my report but the rep said that didn't matter. He told me my payment history is perfect and my credit looks great. Just that I need to reapply in a few months. It's their loss I guess. I did open a bunch of cards 18 months ago because I went years paying everything in cash thinking it was the right thing to do. Then I realized I had hurt myself. After a year, I wanted travel cards and cards that benefit me point/cashback wise. So now I'm trying to switch gears and close some cards and open new ones so I'm not just using cards to keep them active.So there is a method to my madness but that csr wasn't hearing any of it....lol

Sorry for mistakes, on my cell.
TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 14 of 15
maksimfa
Contributor

Tada, and there is your answer.  All your accounts are new new new new new.  No established history.

Barclays is a more conservative lender.  As others mentioned, they see more risk, business wise to giving someone a card who has high scores, no long term history, ton of new credit, versus someone who has a history that they can look at, be it good or bad.  Because if someone has bad history, you can give them a rate and credit line tha works for everyone.

With someone with new history... well that is just like all those people who looked at the housing market only at the last 4 years and never thought house prices would ever go down. lol. 

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.