cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply For A Best Buy Credit Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Apply For A Best Buy Credit Card?

I had no credit history around 4 months ago. I didn't really understand, so I applied for 3 different cards. One of these was Best Buy. Obviously I got denied for them with no history.

I got a card through my bank, and have been using it well, making monthly payments and never being late. I had a little bit of high usage but now I'm down in the 10-15% usage.

Credit Karma shows both Equifax and TU have a 654 score, but it should go up to 698 by the end of the month (my bank hasn't reported my balance getting paid down).

With a small credit history, but an okay score, would I get approved for the Best Buy cards? Or would I be better to wait for a few more months?
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I Apply For A Best Buy Credit Card?

@Anonymous wrote:
I had no credit history around 4 months ago. I didn't really understand, so I applied for 3 different cards. One of these was Best Buy. Obviously I got denied for them with no history.

I got a card through my bank, and have been using it well, making monthly payments and never being late. I had a little bit of high usage but now I'm down in the 10-15% usage.

Credit Karma shows both Equifax and TU have a 654 score, but it should go up to 698 by the end of the month (my bank hasn't reported my balance getting paid down).

With a small credit history, but an okay score, would I get approved for the Best Buy cards? Or would I be better to wait for a few more months?

Welcome to the forums!

I would wait until you have a year of credit history. Also, Credit Karma does not provide accurate credit scores. You mentioned you started your credit history 4 months ago: you probably have no credit scores yet because Fico takes 6 months to generate them. Fico scores are the kind of scores lenders use, not vantage scores, which is what Credit Karma uses. Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

What's the limit on your current card? Is it secured or unsecured?

As @Anonymous has said, it'll take a couple more months to generate FICO scores. I'd wait at least that long until applying for anything else. I don't think you need to wait a full year. Six months on your current card will probably suffice. But don't pull the trigger without asking here first. Smiley Happy In the meantime, this is a good time to research a potential second and third card while asking questions.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Welcome, @Anonymous. Smiley Happy

What's the limit on your current card? Is it secured or unsecured?

As @Anonymous has said, it'll take a couple more months to generate FICO scores. I'd wait at least that long until applying for anything else. I don't think you need to wait a full year. Six months on your current card will probably suffice. But don't pull the trigger without asking here first. Smiley Happy In the meantime, this is a good time to research a potential second and third card while asking questions.

I agree with Heaven, OP. Feel free to peruse the forums and reach out to members if you have any questions. We are a very welcoming community with experts in almost every aspect of lending. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.