cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply for a GE Card? My Situation...

tag
TravisD
Contributor

Re: Should I Apply for a GE Card? My Situation...

You stated in an earlier post that your TU was 652, but in the most recent you mention a score of 641. Did it drop in the past couple days? Have you pulled a report from here (preferably TU if applying for Walmart) to see if your paid loan shows yet? I would call the 800 number to check status and recon if you have to. They will let you know exactly what the issue is.
........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 11 of 19
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Travis, the 652 was from a month ago when I last checked my score. However, I just did purchase my TU score earlier and it did drop. The contributing factor I believe has to do with my utlization being so high. I paid the entire utilization balance this morning and am hoping the payment posts before the update is supplied by the credit card company to the bureaus, which is usually around this time of the month. If it does, my score is likely to jump to 661+. But again, I seen people who had a high utlization rate and do pretty well and get approved.

Just not sure what else I have to do to get approval, SMH. Not giving up easily, just becoming a frustrating process at the moment. Considering calling and reconning, BUT, would me simply telling them that I paid off the entire balance really help my case with a recon agent or would they simply tell me to wait about a month for the fresh update reflecting the new, lower balance?

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 12 of 19
TravisD
Contributor

The way I see it is that you already took the hit on a hard INQ so you really have nothing to lose even if they do say try again next month. I'd rather call them, plead my case and hope for the best rather than just waiting to get a letter in the mail. Who knows, maybe you didn't get denied! But here's their number: 877-294-7880
........???................659 (FICO)................659 (TU08) ........
Message 13 of 19
credit3xhausted
Valued Member

Your scores should be good, maybe it is the number of inquiries in your TU report.

--I know I was told that when I last had my little app spree.

MyFico on 03/30/12: EQ 500; MyFico as of 03/06/2013: EQ 653
Wal-Mart (TU08) on 12/09/2012: 637; Wal-Mart (TU08) 03/07/2013: 700

Message 14 of 19
dtjones052209
Regular Contributor

Colindidit-

I was reading this post and decided I try to apply for the Paypal MC and sure enough they approved me for the smart connect which is better than a denial I guess, but before I decided to just close off. I read further and the credit limit was $800. Which is amazing... This forum always has some great nuggets if you just keep reading and researching.

My Advice to the OP just keep chipping away at the credit and continue to use your 1 card responsibly. There is a season for every stage when on the path to rebuilding. If denials keep coming, just know it may not be your season, but your season is soon to come.  This is coming from someone who had 501 at one point in life... Soon we will all be pop champagne bottles when we hear your success stories...

Message 15 of 19
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Made an attempt at recon, credit analyst kept saying "system denied you, we can't override it, wait for letter."

Once again, another HP with no success. Disheartening for lack of better terms.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 16 of 19
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

The Wallmart card is really easy to get. i would say, pay down that credit card with your tax return, give it a month to hit your report, then apply. I got the Walmart card 2 weeks ago with similar score to yours. From what I understand. GE cards are pretty good with CLIs. I am not sure what your number of inquiries aspect of your credit is. If you apply and are rejected then you just have another hard inquiry which isnt the end of the world. I was going to hold off after being approved for a capital one card but was convinced by someone on this forum to apply for a GE Walmart card and was glad because I was approved. Also looking on another site at a spreadsheet, many people with scores in the 500s were approved for this card. Good luck.

Message 17 of 19
Simply827
Established Contributor

Perhaps the denial is due to your only card being 3 months old. I think you should wait a few months and let that account age. Try again in about 3-4 months.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 18 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

You should have waited until your util was low you would have been approved.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.