cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply for new Citi Card Account While Paying Off Other Closed Citi Account?

tag
ModelCitizen

Should I Apply for new Citi Card Account While Paying Off Other Closed Citi Account?

Hello all and  Happy New Year!

New user here and I have a question about whether or not to apply for a particular credit card.

The credit card that I am interested in is the Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa Signature Card (here is the link: http://goo.gl/tXWSD).

I am planning to do a lot of traveling later this year/early 2013 and want an airline miles rewards card (my preference is American Airlines).  

I ordered my EQ myFICO score this morning (one-time option) and have a score of 692. 

My concern is that I currently have a Citi card that I closed in August 2009 and am still paying off the remaining balance. The current balance is $2,415 and I have       planned  my budget to have this card completely paid off  by March 2012.  

I am not certain if it matters or not, but should I go ahead and apply now or just wait until I've paid off the closed Citi account and just keep my eyes out for another miles offer? (Note:   This particular offer expires January 31, 2012.) 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Should I Apply for new Citi Card Account While Paying Off Other Closed Citi Account?

@ModelCitizen wrote:

New user here and I have a question about whether or not to apply for a particular credit card.

The credit card that I am interested in is the Citi Platinum Select/AAdvantage Visa Signature Card (here is the link: http://goo.gl/tXWSD).

I am planning to do a lot of traveling later this year/early 2013 and want an airline miles rewards card (my preference is American Airlines).  

I ordered my EQ myFICO score this morning (one-time option) and have a score of 692. 

My concern is that I currently have a Citi card that I closed in August 2009 and am still paying off the remaining balance. The current balance is $2,415 and I have       planned  my budget to have this card completely paid off  by March 2012.  

I am not certain if it matters or not, but should I go ahead and apply now or just wait until I've paid off the closed Citi account and just keep my eyes out for another miles offer? (Note:   This particular offer expires January 31, 2012.) 

Thanks!

If it was me, I would wait until you have paid off the previous card.

Did you close the previous CITI card or was it closed by them? Charge off?

Message 2 of 12
ModelCitizen

Re: Should I Apply for new Citi Card Account While Paying Off Other Closed Citi Account?

That was my initial thought. Just wait it out.

I closed the account - no charge off, nothing negative. 

Message 3 of 12
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I actually was in the same situation. I closed my CITI cc because they jacked my APR. I like the 21 month no interest so I applied and was approved. The only thing is they didn't give me a high credit line, but sort of matched what I owed them. So I'm happy cause I want to pay off my debt with no interest. Also my debt is not as high as yours. always YMMV.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 12
steve23111
Frequent Contributor

Waiting until you have paid off existing balances may or may not have much of a bearing on whether you get approved, but it will almost certainly have an impact on initial credit limit and the terms of the account (APR, annual fee, etc).  It's always best to only apply for new credit when you need it and your credit report is looking as good as you can get it.  Take some time to put some more lipstick on the credit record, dress it up a little with some low balances, then take the plunge.

Message 5 of 12
ModelCitizen

@chnceit wrote:
I actually was in the same situation. I closed my CITI cc because they jacked my APR. I like the 21 month no interest so I applied and was approved. The only thing is they didn't give me a high credit line, but sort of matched what I owed them. So I'm happy cause I want to pay off my debt with no interest. Also my debt is not as high as yours. always YMMV.

Agreed with underlined portion. And they cut my credit line in half (this was around the time of the credit meltdown). LOC decrease and APR increase = no thanks. 

Wish I had been patient and just held on, because one day out of the blue (after account was closed, of course) APR dropped from 29.99% to 6.99%. Yes, really.

Yes, this balance is still a bit high, but because of the low APR, paying off other cards have taken priority.

Slowly, but surely, I'll get there. 

Message 6 of 12
chnceit
Valued Contributor

@ModelCitizen wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

Agreed with underlined portion. And they cut my credit line in half (this was around the time of the credit meltdown). LOC decrease and APR increase = no thanks. 

Wish I had been patient and just held on, because one day out of the blue (after account was closed, of course) APR dropped from 29.99% to 6.99%. Yes, really.

Yes, this balance is still a bit high, but because of the low APR, paying off other cards have taken priority.

Slowly, but surely, I'll get there. 

I am thinking about calling them and asking them to reopen or move my old LOC to my new cc if thats even possible. Or even use the same pull to recon.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 7 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ModelCitizen wrote:

Thanks!

I would wait until it's paid off. They could deny you strictly on that.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I agree with people above, wait until you have it paid off.  I can't imagine the Citi Aadvantage card is going anywhere.  It sounds like you're concerned about a preapproval offer expiring Jan. 2012.  That offer doesn't mean anything.  If they would approve you now, they'll certainly approve you once your balance is paid off and your credit looks better.  Those are just marketing tools.  They don't relax their approval standards, and then tighten them back up after the offer expires.  You'll be best situated to get an approval and best possible limit once you have the other balance paid off.  Good luck.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I agree with people above, wait until you have it paid off.  I can't imagine the Citi Aadvantage card is going anywhere.  It sounds like you're concerned about a preapproval offer expiring Jan. 2012.  That offer doesn't mean anything.  If they would approve you now, they'll certainly approve you once your balance is paid off and your credit looks better.  Those are just marketing tools.  They don't relax their approval standards, and then tighten them back up after the offer expires.  You'll be best situated to get an approval and best possible limit once you have the other balance paid off.  Good luck.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.