Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Apply for the Walmart Card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Apply for the Walmart Card?

I'm interested in applying for the Walmart card for the free FICO score as well as the fact that I actually do a lot shopping for household supplies there, so it'd be convenient for me.  However, I applied for and was approved for an Old Navy card in August and Care Credit in October.  Would applying for Walmart be a bad idea?

Edit:  Also, do you think I'd be approved for the Walmart Discover card?  I don't really know much about the card, but I had a charge off from Discover in 2001, so I'm not sure how that would influence the approval.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gijoe4500
Regular Contributor

Re: Should I Apply for the Walmart Card?

Don't know about the discover card, but I'd say you have a damn good chance of getting a regular walmart card.  I wouldn't carry a balance on it ever though.  It has a pretty high APR.  I got mine in the rebuilding stage, and pretty much only use it for gas (they give you a discount if you use a walmart card), and for the free TU score.  I have other, better rewards card that i use for in store purchases.

Starting Score: MyFico TU: 621 EQ: 610
Current Score: Discover TU: 829 Discover EX: 827
Goal Score: 700's baby! (made it 4/10/2013!)
New Goal: 830!!
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have two friends who moved out of California.  One is now living in Wisconsin and the other in Oklahoma.  While they were both living in California, they applied for the Walmart credit card and were declined.  Interestingly, when they moved to their new addresses in Wisconsin and Olkahoma, they applied for the Walmart credit card there, and were approved.  Both told me that their FICO scores were lower than when they lived in California because of the expense of their moves and increased cc useage/utilization, etc.  I thought this was odd but, one day when I was checking the website whogavemecredit, I noticed that several people in California who had applied for the Walmart card were, indeed, declined.  What an anomaly! 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is strange.  Isn't funny how location matters in terms of approval.

So, a few moments after posting here, I decided to just bite the bullet and apply.  I was approved for $800.  Not too shabby considering I'm currently carrying a higher balance on one of my bank cards (no interest until April on that card, however) and just applied for Care Credit less than a month ago and was given a pretty generous limit.  I plan on using the Walmart card for a few Christmas presents as they have a 6 months no interest special going for purchases made in November and December.  I'd have it paid off ASAP.

Thanks for your input. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 6
flowfaster
Established Contributor

So is the 6 month no interest special for everyone or just for new customers? How did you find out about that, was it under the special offers tab?
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure if it's just for new customers.  I went to the "Walmart Credit Cards" section on the site, and it mentioned the special at the top.

Here's a link:  http://www.walmart.com/cp/Credit-Cards/632402

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.