cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I BT or Open New Account?

tag
Regular Contributor

Should I BT or Open New Account?

I want to buy a very expensive cell phone, but I don't want to spend cash because I have a very good credit score. I have two options I believe: either to do a BT to my checking account for a 3% fee from an existing credit card or to finance (open a new account) with whatever financial institute that Samsung has to offer with 36 months, 0% interest. I have no hard inquiries on my credit reports. I'm not sure if I open an account with Samsung (whatever financial institute they use) would hurt my scores instead of a real credit card?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I BT or Open New Account?

Samsung financing is run through TD Bank and since it's a revolving line of credit it's treated like a card similar to Dell's financing. Since it will be a new account to go with presumably a hard pull you will take a hit to your scores temporarily til the HP and new account age

In terms of money I would go the Samsung financing route since you just have to pay a set monthly payment. You have the scores to absorb the hit and in time they will recover back to where they were before. Scores can recover, money saved is always good

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would definitely avoid the 3% fee. Good credit is only a benefit to you if you use it, in this case it is worth using to get the 0% financing option.

Looking at your signature, you have some options if you don't want to open a new account. You could use PayPal Credit to get 6 months at no interest or purchase on Amazon using your Amazon store card and get, I believe, 12 months no interest. PayPal Credit also runs 12 or 24 month 0% financing offers for eBay purchases from time to time, the last one just ended 9/20/21 so there will likely be another one coming up if you can wait.

Or you could purchase from a site that uses Affirm. It would be a new account, but there would be no hard pull. Affirm does code as a CFA, so if you have no prior CFA accounts that may cause an additional hit to your credit score.

Message 3 of 20
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

Samsung financing is run through TD Bank and since it's a revolving line of credit it's treated like a card similar to Dell's financing. Since it will be a new account to go with presumably a hard pull you will take a hit to your scores temporarily til the HP and new account age

In terms of money I would go the Samsung financing route since you just have to pay a set monthly payment. You have the scores to absorb the hit and in time they will recover back to where they were before. Scores can recover, money saved is always good

+ 1

Samsung financing through TD Bank (36/mo @ 0%) is the way to go.

Message 4 of 20
SoonerSoldier33
Frequent Contributor

Finances over FICO. You'll take a temporary score hit for a new account and possibly for the utilization depending on how big a SL you get, but Samsung uses TD Bank to underwrite their financing, and it's a revolving line that's counted as a store card. At 36 months 0% APR, I'd go for it, save yourself the BT fee, and pay it off as you are able. If you're not planning a big credit move in the near future, this is the way IMHO.  

Team Garden Club as of Oct 2021
Message 5 of 20
Regular Contributor

So I am too risking that the SL will be much less than the cost of the phone making the hard pull pointless?

American Express Blue Cash Every | Discover it | Citi Double Cash | Citi Custom Cash (10/2021) | Bank of America Cash Rewards | Chase Slate | Capital One Quicksilver | Amazon Store Card | PayPal Credit | J. Crew | Old Navy | Experian: 785 Equifax: 798 Transunion: 777 |
Message 6 of 20
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@10022016 wrote:

So I am too risking that the SL will be much less than the cost of the phone making the hard pull pointless?

What is the approximate cost of the device?

TD Bank (retail side) tends to be somewhat conservative on their UW, but it depends on what your income and overall profile looks like. Only way to know is when/if you decide to apply.

Another option. If your signature is still up-to-date, you can always check with Discover to see if they have any available purchase promotions on your card (typically 12 months max).  Unfortunately, your limits aren't displayed so hard to say if that's a viable alternative.

Message 7 of 20
NRB525
Super Contributor

Who is your cellphone provider? Do they have an easy finance option to get a new device? That's how I "buy" my iPhones, through AT&T, and the monthly payments just get included in my cell bill. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 20
Regular Contributor

About Samsung Financing

Can someone further elaborate on the following comment I found online? And what is TD Bank? 

"Be careful - Samsung Financing aka TD Bank is considered a CFA (Consumer Finance Account) which is cancer to your Credit Report. Govern your options very very accordingly..."

Edit: I've found some information on CFA on this thread :https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/How-bad-are-consumer-finance-accounts-re...

Message 9 of 20
Regular Contributor

Re: About Samsung Financing

I have no idea why a moderator merged the above message as someone else may want to search the same exact title.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.