Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Bother Responding to Cap 1 "We Want to Win You Back"

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Should I Bother Responding to Cap 1 "We Want to Win You Back"

I sarted rebuilding in 2008 - in that year I was approved for two Cap 1 cards: 1 Visa 1 MC.  Four years later, I had closed both cards, with having closed the MC before this summer.  The CL on that had gone from 300 to $3350, but it took a long time to get that, and whenever I called CS  about a CLI- I got the standard messages... and then finally - I was told that if I wanted a higher limit, I should appy for another CC.  Of course, I said that the problem with that is that if I cannot get a CLI, how am I going to get approved for a Venture Card? One CSR encouraged me to apply  saying that I probably had a good chance of getting it- I did - took the hit and BAM - DECLINED - they would not recon.  And frankly, I got tired of begging for CLIs, so I moved on!

By then I had already gotten a Discover Card and a Barclay MC.  Within six months - Discover went from $1500-$3500, Barclay from $1000-$4700.  Four months after having  closed my last Cap1 card, they are cluttering my mailbox with all sorts of offers - to get me back - interestingly - for the same card that I closed in May.  When I closed that account - there was interest nor any attempt to keep me as a customer.  I wasted an inquiry - and now they are trying to get me to play this game with them all over again?!

I am happy with my two credit cards; I do not want  a pocket full of credit cards, but I certainly would like to let Capital one know how I feel about this.  I would have LOVED to have remained a customer with them, but  as I am not into collecting cards and just letting them sit around, there was no need for me to have an account that I was not going to use.    Do you think I should bother writing C1?

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Bother Responding to Cap 1 "We Want to Win You Back"

If that were me I would have hrown away any offers from them.  You were mislead to app for a card you wanted and denied pulled a report from all 3 bereu's.  Not worth your time.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

I sarted rebuilding in 2008 - in that year I was approved for two Cap 1 cards: 1 Visa 1 MC.  Three years later, I had closed both cards, with having closed the MC last summer.  The CL on that had gone from 300 to $3350, but it took a long time to get that, and whenever I called CS  about a CLI- I got the standard messages... and then finally - I was told that if I wanted a higher limit, I should appy for another CC.  Of course, I said that the problem with that is that if I cannot get a CLI, how am I going to get approved for a Venture Card? One CSR encouraged me to apply  saying that I probably had a good chance of getting it- I did - took the hit and BAM - DECLINED - they would not recon.  And frankly, I got tired of begging for CLIs, so I moved on!

By then I had already gotten a Discover Card and after then I got a Barclay MC.  Within six months - Discover went from $1500-$3500, Barclay from $1000-$4700.  A year after having closed my last Cap1 card, they are cluttering my mailbox with all sorts of offers - to get me back - interestingly - for the same card that I closed.  When I closed that account - there was interest nor any attempt to keep me as a customer.  I wasted an inquiry - and now they are trying to get me to play this game with them all over again?!

I am happy with my two credit cards; I do not want  a pocket full of credit cards, but I certainly would like to let Capital one know how I feel about this.  I would have LOVED to have remained a customer with them, but  as I am not into collecting cards and just letting them sit around, there was no need for me to have an account that I was not going to use.    Do you think I should bother writing C1?

Shred the offer and mail it back to them!! Smiley Very Happy

They didnt want you when you were prime so they can kick rocks now!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 21
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Shread it! Cap 1 can kick rocks!

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 21
gettnthere
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

I sarted rebuilding in 2008 - in that year I was approved for two Cap 1 cards: 1 Visa 1 MC.  Three years later, I had closed both cards, with having closed the MC last summer.  The CL on that had gone from 300 to $3350, but it took a long time to get that, and whenever I called CS  about a CLI- I got the standard messages... and then finally - I was told that if I wanted a higher limit, I should appy for another CC.  Of course, I said that the problem with that is that if I cannot get a CLI, how am I going to get approved for a Venture Card? One CSR encouraged me to apply  saying that I probably had a good chance of getting it- I did - took the hit and BAM - DECLINED - they would not recon.  And frankly, I got tired of begging for CLIs, so I moved on!

By then I had already gotten a Discover Card and after then I got a Barclay MC.  Within six months - Discover went from $1500-$3500, Barclay from $1000-$4700.  A year after having closed my last Cap1 card, they are cluttering my mailbox with all sorts of offers - to get me back - interestingly - for the same card that I closed.  When I closed that account - there was interest nor any attempt to keep me as a customer.  I wasted an inquiry - and now they are trying to get me to play this game with them all over again?!

Shred the offer and mail it back to them!! Smiley Very Happy

They didnt want you when you were prime so they can kick rocks now!

+1, totally agreed! Don't waste your time with CAP1. You have much better cards now with MUCH better lenders, that actually will grow with you. Let Cap1 eat the dust lol.

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

I'm still LMAO on the wipe ur butt with it suggestion on a different thread!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 21
asteroidblues86
Regular Contributor

I have a ventureone and im happy with my limit and the customer service i receive. From what i have read most of the negativity toward this bank is from customers using capital ones subprime cards.
Message 7 of 21
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@asteroidblues86 wrote:
I have a ventureone and im happy with my limit and the customer service i receive. From what i have read most of the negativity toward this bank is from customers using capital ones subprime cards.

This is true, but lately the exec. office has been clearing up that frustration.

I'd like to get my hands on a prime Cap1, just dont want 3 HP's for it.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 21
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

First - I had to go back and correct my time table - just wanted to clarify some things...

Well, the first time I got one of these letters was about 6 weeks ago: "We want to help you rebuild...".  Then a couple of weeks later -  the first "come back"   I was like, WTH?  Tossed that one.  I went to my PO Box today and I had TWO offers - both - "We want you back...."  Really?  Just figured I would let them know that this is just really baaad business - and also - how DARE YOU - and are you out of your ^&%%^* mind?  

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 9 of 21
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Prime - Subprime - Prime Time - is not the issue -  Neither is this  about complaining - It is a comentary on what I think to be - at the very least - inconsiderate customer service.  My card served me and I used it very well - did everything they told  me -... use it more - use it less - lower your balance ..  carry a littel balance... call back in 6 months... you will definately get a CLI increase after XYC time.... I

cannot say that the customer service was necessarily bad - but when I have a card for 4 years .... and two other banks ... offer superior cards and with only 6 months of history up my limits -it makes it difficult to keep defending cap 1.   I have been one of those on the forums who have given cap one a lot of credit - no pun intended -for how they treated me.   I simply asked for a product changed after I was told that my card was not eligible for a CLI - it took over a year before anyone would even admit to that fact - as opposed to giving me all the wrong info what i could do to get a CLI -   So in May - no to CLI ... no to product change (but they value me as a customer).... decline on the Venture  - no to a recon..... Then I said well, I will just close it... "Oh ok, .. your acount has been closed..."  Where was the love... where was the  'we value you as a customer... we want you back...... "

Fine, I have no problems there.... I moved on.....I get great rewards with Disc.  got a $1200 CL from Barcly earlier this month... was fine.. and then now... offer after offer from Cap 1.   Come on  -  open a wound an pour salt in it eh.  There is nothing to complain about... but certainly - I thought I should at least let them know how I feel about it... but like some are saying... might not even be worth dealing with.

@asteroidblues86 wrote:

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.