cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I PC my Chase freedom unlimited to chase Freedom?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I PC my Chase freedom unlimited to chase Freedom?

after being approved for City double cash, I now think Im not gonna use my chase FU as much cuz it gives me only 1.5% back, less than 2% from DC. Im thinking about requesting to PC it to regular freedom and pair it up with my discover for 5% on rotating catagories. My FU is still on its way and will probably arrive tomorow. I plan to ask for PC first. If chase agrees to let me do that, I then will send the card back to them without activating it. so what do you think about my plan? Should I do that? and is it possible for me to do that?

For those who are curious about WHY: I applied for citi DC after i applied for FU, and after my DC approval, this thought popped up in my head.Smiley Tongue

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I PC my Chase freedom unlimited to chase Freedom?

That's probably what I would do since the Citi DC gives 2% rather than 1.5%.  Assuming you find the Freedom rotating 5% categories useful at times, that card would probably make more sense for you.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

after being approved for City double cash, I now think Im not gonna use my chase FU as much cuz it gives me only 1.5% back, less than 2% from DC. Im thinking about requesting to PC it to regular freedom and pair it up with my discover for 5% on rotating catagories. My FU is still on its way and will probably arrive tomorow. I plan to ask for PC first. If chase agrees to let me do that, I then will send the card back to them without activating it. so what do you think about my plan? Should I do that? and is it possible for me to do that?

For those who are curious about WHY: I applied for citi DC after i applied for FU, and after my DC approval, this thought popped up in my head.Smiley Tongue

I agree with BBS that it's a good move for but there would be no need to go thru the trouble of sending the card back to them.  It's already 'activated' whether you do it or not and I wouldn't risk the chance of the card getting lost or stolen.  Just shred the bugger.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't PC it.  I would check my Chase preapprovals regularly and if the normal Freedom comes up, do that to get the sign up bonus, then combine limits between the Chase cards and close the FU.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't PC it.  I would check my Chase preapprovals regularly and if the normal Freedom comes up, do that to get the sign up bonus, then combine limits between the Chase cards and close the FU.

He can still get the Freedom bonus down the road if he wants but maybe he doesn't want to add a new card and incur the drop in AAoA and new HP.  In the meantime he can take advantage of the 5% of the FU card as he indicated.  Sometimes a PC is the best option. 

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, but $150 on a meager $500 spend isn't much, and to get $150 out of the 3.5% difference between FU and Freedom means charging $4300 through it with a category cap.  I wouldn't PC unless the category is something useful right now -- worth waiting for if the current category isn't useful.

If it's a really useful category, I'd maybe consider it, but I don't think the numbers add up all that well for a guaranteed PC.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, but $150 on a meager $500 spend isn't much, and to get $150 out of the 3.5% difference between FU and Freedom means charging $4300 through it with a category cap.  I wouldn't PC unless the category is something useful right now -- worth waiting for if the current category isn't useful.

If it's a really useful category, I'd maybe consider it, but I don't think the numbers add up all that well for a guaranteed PC.

All true. That's why OP, like we all should needs to examine all his options, before making any kind of move.  I will add that a PC, just like a credit line reallocation will cause Chase to do a review of your account so that's something everyone should keep in mind.  

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that he needs to look at the Freedom categories and see if at least two quarterly categories are useful to him. Then, I would let the FU sit for 2-3 months to convert. That is how long it usually takes for a conversion offer. The $150 signup bonus could go away, but he will be using the Citi DC for everyday spend in the meantime, and over three months that one-half percent may cancel out the $150, depending on how much goes on the DC.

I myself have both the Quicksilver and the FU, and both are 1.5% cards. I do not want to take a hit for the CITI DC, but I am thinking about converting FU to Freedom. I am not sure what two 1.5% cards with High limits will do for me. I will only use Freedom for the 5% categories and Quicksilver for 1.5% everyday spend, if I convert to Freedom. Of course this means that Freedom will never see more than $6000 annually (if that) unless Quicksilver shuts down.

Good luck !!

Johnny 50

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.  I have the FU with a $500 toy limit but recently got the QS1 also with the same limit and an AF.  Hoping to PC the QS1 to QS eventually, but not going to PC the FU to Freedom because I have a feeling I will get a preapproval on it in 2 months.  I had preapprovals for both F and FU and should have pulled the trigger on both that day.

I also have the Discover 1% card but the first year it's 2% doubled (4%) on gas and restaurants so that's pretty enticing to keep as a 1% card.  I'm not sure what to do with Discover after the 1 year double cashback ends but so far it's been useful.

I want the Citi DC but I may have burned them in 2008 (it's debateable) and I never see any prequals on their prequal page.  I would prefer to get into Alliant for their 3%/2.5% card but they're conservative and I doubt I'll have the scores to get it any time soon -- maybe a year?

It's a lot of calculating and planning, but for me the sign up bonus is superior to the cash back IF I can get a preapproval on it.  And since Chase combines limits, I also don't want to PC cards when I could hope for auto CLI and then merge the bigger lines into a card I want to keep.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already called chase and asked to PC today after my FU arrived. The CSR told me that I can switch, and no need of a new report to do that cuz I was just approved last week and my FU is a brand new card. In the mean time, I can activate and use my FU till my new Freedom card arrives, and then discard my FU. All balances, terms, acct #, bonuses will be transferred to Freedom. 

For those who wonder why I wanna change: I just wanna maximize rewards from my cards, and I just app for my keepers. I dont wanna keep what I rarely touch, and this is what will likely to happen to my FU since I also have citi DC. 80% of my spendings go to Costco, restaurant, gas and groceries, this make chase freedom my best fit among chase's cards when pairing up with my discover for 5% on those catagories. And thanks chase for offering me such a smooth switch Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.