cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I PIF before requesting AMEX BCP 3x CLI?

tag
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

Should I PIF before requesting AMEX BCP 3x CLI?

I just got the AMEX BCP last month, but I was only approved for $1400.  It was a little disappointing after getting $10,000 on the Discover It which was my first credit card in several years.  But then I read about the awesome AMEX 3x CLI, and I have hope that I can build the AMEX to a greater limit.

The first statement was under 9% utilized and PIF after they sent it to me.  I planned to let the second statement cut under 9% utilization, then PIF, then request the CLI at 61 days.  I have spent almost $1000 this month on the card to get my $200 sign on bonus, but I made a payment of $750 and then my $200 bonus brought the balance down around $50.  I still have a couple days to go before the second statement comes out.

Is is best to PIF prior to requesting the CLI?  Or would it be better to show a balance when I put in the request?  I am beginning to question whether they would want to increase the limit on a card that has zero on it! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I PIF before requesting AMEX BCP 3x CLI?

I don't think it matters much either way.  A $0 reported balance or a small reported balance are both fine.  I've received CLIs from Amex both with a $0 balance and with a small (1%) balance reported.

Message 2 of 5
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Yeah..it probably doesn't matter. PIF statement balances by due date is something they seem to like. Good luck with the CLI increase. Amex can grow extremely fast if you treat them right.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen at 61 days. Try it again at 91 and 181 days as well.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dlister70 wrote:

I just got the AMEX BCP last month, but I was only approved for $1400.  It was a little disappointing after getting $10,000 on the Discover It which was my first credit card in several years.  But then I read about the awesome AMEX 3x CLI, and I have hope that I can build the AMEX to a greater limit.

The first statement was under 9% utilized and PIF after they sent it to me.  I planned to let the second statement cut under 9% utilization, then PIF, then request the CLI at 61 days.  I have spent almost $1000 this month on the card to get my $200 sign on bonus, but I made a payment of $750 and then my $200 bonus brought the balance down around $50.  I still have a couple days to go before the second statement comes out.

Is is best to PIF prior to requesting the CLI?  Or would it be better to show a balance when I put in the request?  I am beginning to question whether they would want to increase the limit on a card that has zero on it! 

I have an AmEx BCP and I didn't have my balance down to zero when I got approved my 3x cli. I think it mostly depends on your score. I got denied the first two times I asked for an increase but then AmEx tripled my limit to $3,000 after several months of PIF and then a month later I was eligible for an increase and I asked for $9,000 and I got it. But my scores were in the 680s when I was approved vs 650-660 when I got declined before.  I'm coming up due for another increase next month actually, so I'm excited about that. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as your not carrying a huge balance (and even then there are data points here of people with double digit utilization % getting 3x) it probably doesn't matter. I actually had a negative balance of like $14 on my BCE when I got a full 3x on day 62.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.