cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Product Change BOA Cash Rewards to BOA Travel Rewards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I Product Change BOA Cash Rewards to BOA Travel Rewards?

Hey guys Smiley Happy I was looking at my BOA Cash Rewards Card that I used a lot before I got approved for the Sallie Mae and AARP card which basically negates the use for this card as I can get more/equal rewards with my newer cards. I do travel regularly and have the Quicksliver card, but I thought it would be good to have another card with no foreign transaction fee. What do you guys think, should I keep it or try to do a product change? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I Product Change BOA Cash Rewards to BOA Travel Rewards?

I had 2 cash reward cards and none anymore as the card did not offer me anything I did not already have. I PCd to the TR and BBR cards as the no FTF is very important for me as 80% of my charges would be subject to FTF. Honestly the BofA TR card does not get a lot of usage as I have better cards but I like it as a back up. The BBR is easy earned money for nothing ..lol

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Travel Rewards is a good card. As stated the no ftf is a winner. The bbr sells itself. I have both and have never regretted getting them. Good luck!

Message 3 of 10
Shock
Established Contributor

i got the travel solely for the no FTF. havent traveled yet and the card is sock drawered. pretty useless imo. 

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 4 of 10
juggar
Contributor

Just apply for the Travel rewards, I also have a cash rewards as well. You also get that $100 bonus after spending $500 I think so thats pretty decent. 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 5 of 10
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

TR has two advantages over the QS:

1) EMV Chip (only important for travel)

2) Relationship bonus aka Preferred Rewards

BoA's preferred rewards program gives you a 10%, 25%, 50% or 75% bonus based on if you have a checking account with BoA and total assets at BoA and Merrill Edge/Lynch.  If you are in the top tier, the TR card becomes 2.65% CB with travel expenses.    The sign up bonus is also benefits from the relationship bonus.

Of course, you get the same relationship bonus for the Cash Rewards card.   But a 5.25% gas card isn't that valuable for me.  I believe you can only enroll one CC in BoA's Preferred Reward program.

The advantage for the QS is how easy it is to get the cash back.  I would expect Cap1 to add an EMV chip to the QS very soon.

If I was traveling much internationally, I too would want two cards with no FTF. 

Message 6 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

It's the only card I know of that listed Fortune Tellers as one of their travel credit. lol   So yes, PC away! Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 10
Shock
Established Contributor

The card is still chip and signature. Not sure if the cash advance pin will work. But apparently if the merchant runs it's as a sale it will work.

photo myfico_zpsd00088cb.jpg
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

TR has two advantages over the QS:

1) EMV Chip (only important for travel)

2) Relationship bonus aka Preferred Rewards

BoA's preferred rewards program gives you a 10%, 25%, 50% or 75% bonus based on if you have a checking account with BoA and total assets at BoA and Merrill Edge/Lynch.  If you are in the top tier, the TR card becomes 2.65% CB with travel expenses.    The sign up bonus is also benefits from the relationship bonus.

Of course, you get the same relationship bonus for the Cash Rewards card.   But a 5.25% gas card isn't that valuable for me.  I believe you can only enroll one CC in BoA's Preferred Reward program.

The advantage for the QS is how easy it is to get the cash back.  I would expect Cap1 to add an EMV chip to the QS very soon.

If I was traveling much internationally, I too would want two cards with no FTF. 

Thanks for the tips everyone! I had a question about the point reward system. Can you redeem the points for a check/statement credit/ gift cards? I know with the BOA Cash Rewards it can be redeemed as a statement credit or check. 

Message 9 of 10
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I just app'd last week, so I don't have any practical experience here.  However, my understanding is you need travel expenses  (hotel, airline, etc) to get the best redemption value.  For travel expenses you basically get a statement credit at 1 point = 1 cent.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.