Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I Recon Amex?

tag
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Should I Recon Amex?

So, this may have been the best $60 I have spent on MyFICO recently for my updated score, which are in the signature below.

I thought for a second that my scores seemed pretty decent, especially on Experian, where there is NO negatives and everythings looks good on my credit report, yet I was declined for an AMEX Green Card and AMEX PRG card.

Go Figure.

However, in the spite of interest and to get a starting point and where I will be going from here, I ordered all three scores.

After reviewing my accounts, I seen that AMEX pulled my Experian report. Shockingly, I was declined with a decent report.

Here is where it get's interesting, my address on my Experian report is wrong as it has the correct street address, but the city and state for that mailing address is from back 2012! Now, I have heard that if the report is at all incorrect in anyway is typically the only way AMEX will consider reconning.

With this new found information, can I get a Yay (for reconning) or would this be a Nay, do not recon as it won't make a difference.

My Wallet (Updated Sept 2023):
Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
eagle2013
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Recon Amex?

Inqs? AAOA? When were your last accounts open? AMEX has its own internal scoring, so it isn't all a matter of your FICO. They are also generally not recon-friendly, and will most likely result in another HP. However, if you call the EO and plead your case, you generally can get a manual reconsideration without another HP. 

Message 2 of 13
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Four inquiries on my Experian report. Not sure about the AAOA, it is pretty short though, I can say that. I just opened about 3-4 new CC accounts recently as well, only two of them are currently showing on my Experian report.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 3 of 13
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Four inquiries on my Experian report. Not sure about the AAOA, it is pretty short though, I can say that. I just opened about 3-4 new CC accounts recently as well, only two of them are currently showing on my Experian report.

I think that is the culprit - two new accounts reporting and at least 4 new inqs in addition to your AMEX inqs within a short period of time are red flags to a lender. Let your accounts age a bit (at least 6 months, if not longer) and try again.

Message 4 of 13
Blackrv7
Frequent Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Yep, not to pile on but there is your culprit, short aaoa, too many recent inquires and tls.  I'd say Amex's internal scoring system coughed on those.  You could always give them a try on a recon and mention that you were wondering if the wrong address kicked it out of the system but you may just need to let your reports age a bit and give them a try again.

Current myFico EX 734, EQ 777, TU 742
AAoA 6 years 3 months, Length 25 years 2 months

Message 5 of 13
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

Ah okay, I still may give it a short, or at least see if we are able to find out exactly why my application was denied. If everything adds up, I may recon it. However, the AAOA isn't too bad, I've had an unsecured credit card for over one year. Per the MyFICO report, my AAOA on Equifax is 1 year, on my TU, it's 2 years, however, I have no AAOA showing for my Experian report..

Is this still too short of a history? I have a baddie about to fall off of my TU report, hence the reason why that score is low. Once it falls off, the AAOA on that report will likely drop, but the negative will be gone as of April 2014.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 6 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

Ah okay, I still may give it a short, or at least see if we are able to find out exactly why my application was denied. If everything adds up, I may recon it. However, the AAOA isn't too bad, I've had an unsecured credit card for over one year. Per the MyFICO report, my AAOA on Equifax is 1 year, on my TU, it's 2 years, however, I have no AAOA showing for my Experian report..

Is this still too short of a history? I have a baddie about to fall off of my TU report, hence the reason why that score is low. Once it falls off, the AAOA on that report will likely drop, but the negative will be gone as of April 2014.

wait for the letter or check online as to what you are declined.

Amex will rarely overturn decisions unless there is an error in your CRs. If you try to appeal the decision, you are most likely going to land up with additional inquiries and another denial.

You opened 4 new accounts recently. No lender is going to like that. Even if you are approved, you risk getting FR'ed or having your accounts closed, especially when your credit history is short.

Just give it about 6 months and re-apply.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 13
YoungMoney06
Frequent Contributor

enharu:

My address on my Experian report is incorrect, which s why I thought I may have been declined, however, I checked the online status and it says I was declined, however, with no details on why I was declined, so I want to know for sure.

I only have four inquiries on my Experian report, two are from Chase, one from Cap1, and then one from AMEX.

Only two of the cards I applied for (store, GE cards) have been reported already, the other one's have not.

Ultimately, I do respect everyone's input on this and will absolutely take it into consideration, but I still want to find out what caused me to not be approved. If it's because solely of the incorrect address, we'll go from there.

Sucks because I really REALLY wanted an AMEX, but I guess time is my only friend right now if it was anything aside from the inaccurate address.

Store Cards:

Major Cards:

In Timeout:

Message 8 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

enharu:

My address on my Experian report is incorrect, which s why I thought I may have been declined, however, I checked the online status and it says I was declined, however, with no details on why I was declined, so I want to know for sure.

I only have four inquiries on my Experian report, two are from Chase, one from Cap1, and then one from AMEX.

Only two of the cards I applied for (store, GE cards) have been reported already, the other one's have not.

Ultimately, I do respect everyone's input on this and will absolutely take it into consideration, but I still want to find out what caused me to not be approved. If it's because solely of the incorrect address, we'll go from there.

Sucks because I really REALLY wanted an AMEX, but I guess time is my only friend right now if it was anything aside from the inaccurate address.

as enharu pointed out, wait for the letter.  Without having the information it is impossible to recon with any lender. 

The letter will arrive within 10-14 days and if the address is the reason, you'll have an opportunity to plead your case.

Keep in mind, a new cr would be pulled to verify the error and if those new cards start to report or your score is lowered, your chances to overturn their initial decision decrease. 

Message 9 of 13
enharu
Super Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:

@YoungMoney06 wrote:

enharu:

as enharu pointed out, wait for the letter.  Without having the information it is impossible to recon with any lender. 

The letter will arrive within 10-14 days and if the address is the reason, you'll have an opportunity to plead your case.

Keep in mind, a new cr would be pulled to verify the error and if those new cards start to report or your score is lowered, your chances to overturn their initial decision decrease. 

+1 to what Lexie said.

If you really wanted an Amex, you should have applied for it first, simply because they're just so inflexible with regards to overturning computer decisions.

Just wait for the letter, or you can call CS to see if they are willing to read out the letter for you over the phone. 

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.