Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I accept CLI from Discover.

tag
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Should I accept CLI from Discover.

Evening Fellas, I'm at odds with an increase from Discover. $2300 was my prior and they upped it to $2900 today. Honestly, I'm pissed with Disco because eventhough I opened the account Nov 2019 @$1500 I assumed with my halfway decent credit, I would be offered at least over $5000. When I asked online for an increase prior to this they would give me the ole slide rule increment thing like I was a child. I was appalled! I have an option to turn the increase down, but should I? I know this increase is gonna knock my credit for a month, but I don't think the small increment is worth it. Would my credit suffer If I refuse? I've never said NO to more credit before.

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Should I accept CLI from Discover.

@flexin222 wrote:

Evening Fellas, I'm at odds with an increase from Discover. $2300 was my prior and they upped it to $2900 today. Honestly, I'm pissed with Disco because eventhough I opened the account Nov 2019 @$1500 I assumed with my halfway decent credit, I would be offered at least over $5000. When I asked online for an increase prior to this they would give me the ole slide rule increment thing like I was a child. I was appalled! I have an option to turn the increase down, but should I? I know this increase is gonna knock my credit for a month, but I don't think the small increment is worth it. Would my credit suffer If I refuse? I've never said NO to more credit before.

I think you should be happy they offered any kind of increase. 

Also, you were offended by being able to adjust your increase? 

Message 2 of 25
thornback
Senior Contributor

@flexin222 wrote:

I know this increase is gonna knock my credit for a month

^^Why would the increase "knock your credit for a month"?

Your credit won't suffer if you refuse.  Why refuse it though?  Given the current climate, many lenders are not granting increases as liberally as they may have prior to the pandemic.  They could have not offered you anything at all. 

Disco CLI requests are soft pulls (unless you agreed to a hardpull -- did you?)  -- so there's no affect to your credit when requesting and accepting/declining.  

@flexin222 wrote:

I opened the account Nov 2019 @$1500 I assumed with my halfway decent credit, I would be offered at least over $5000. 

^^Never assume anything in the credit world.   I say take the increase and ask again in a couple of months. 

Congrats on your offer...  

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 25
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@flexin222 wrote:

You are appalled at the increase? I think I would happy discover is granting you an increase, a lot of folks have seen CLD's and closures in these strange times, atleast disco is still granting increases.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 25
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Thanks for your reply. Sometimes, a small increase is no gain. We have members on here with 20k Disco CL's and with my good credit history I'm stumped why I can't receive decent increases. I look at CL's like percentages. $2900 Is a 10% of $290 which is no bueno. I would prefer a CL of $10K so I could spend $1000 and still stay at 10%. Of course I wouldn't spend that, but it's nice to have that wiggle room. 

I was offended by the slide increase because Disco only offered an increse of a few hundred dollars. Like $50-$500...That's a joke!

Message 5 of 25
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@flexin222 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Sometimes, a small increase is no gain. We have members on here with 20k Disco CL's and with my good credit history I'm stumped why I can't receive decent increases. I look at CL's like percentages. $2900 Is a 10% of $290 which is no bueno. I would prefer a CL of $10K so I could spend $1000 and still stay at 10%. Of course I wouldn't spend that, but it's nice to have that wiggle room. 

I was offended by the slide increase because Disco only offered an increse of a few hundred dollars. Like $50-$500...That's a joke!

If it's a joke to you and you feel entitled to more, dont take it. 

Maybe whatever they offer next year will be better 

Message 6 of 25
thornback
Senior Contributor

@flexin222 wrote:

We have members on here with 20k Disco CL's and with my good credit history I'm stumped why I can't receive decent increases.

^^ Rule #1 -- don't compare yourself to others -- especially not the folks that frequent these forums because the majority do not have average credit profiles.   Profiles vary greatly so even if you have similar scores, doesn't mean you have equally strong or weak profiles. 

@flexin222 wrote:

Sometimes, a small increase is no gain.

^^ An increase is, by definition, a gain.  May not be the gain you desire, but it's a gain nonethless.    

@flexin222 wrote:

I would prefer a CL of $10K so I could spend $1000 and still stay at 10%. Of course I wouldn't spend that, but it's nice to have that wiggle room. 

^^ You need to work on your patience. 

@flexin222 wrote:

^^ LoL.  It's a user interface -- it's for visual stimulation, nothing more.  It wasn't a personal dig at you from Disco... they won't be laughing behind your back as you slide the slider from $50 to $500.  

Q: Why are your TU & EQ scores so much lower than EX? 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 7 of 25
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@flexin222 wrote:

@flexin222 

Disco will never be figured out, some profiles they love , some not so much so. I have 30K lines with other lenders, I get offered 300-500 increases from disco and they come by rarely. I sit at 8700 and that is "only" because I combined 2 cards. I take the little bites, would I like higher increases, sure, but I don't expect nor do I think I am entitled to it.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 8 of 25
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Sorry guys, I am thankful for the small increase from $2300 to $2900. I have chosen not to ask for any CLI from Disco anymore. I know they are hesitant, but why so hesitant to some with great credit and loose with others? Their criteria is alien to me! I actually planned on no more asks for increases this year and maybe only One card this year. I'm working on the 800's with Fico and keeping my debt real low...Thanks

Message 9 of 25
flexin222
Regular Contributor

Thornback, you are right! I'm having a hissy fit. TIme my friends is not on my side and I do get impatient. I won't complain and the reason my EQ and Trans are lower is due to my stupid closing of my really old Credit One Bank card last year and forgetting. I let them charge me a late fee and by the time I noticed, it was almost 60 days late. They wouldn't charge it off so I learned a good lesson...

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.