Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I app for BCE?

tag
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

Should I app for BCE?

I've had my Zync for a year and paid on time every month.  I LOVE my Zync because it disciplines me to pay in full (have no choice actually) but I would like to get a revolver with AMEX since I've closed 2 cards this year that had fees (Cap 1 & Orchard) and will be closing my BestBuy MC next month also since it has a fee also.  I've been reading about the approval success lately with the BCE and would love to use it for the holidays.  I'm also thinking of getting another card to replace one of the other closed cards - thinking about Chase Freedom but I already have a Chase card and I'm not sure if you can have multiple cards with them.

So my question is should I pull the trigger and apply for BCE?  Actually tried last night through my account online but when I clicked on the apply now link it said to call a rep or use the standard application.  Not sure what my EX score is but my Trans score is 716 via Walmart.  No lates or baddies at all.  Util is around 12%.

All responses welcomed.

Starting Score: TU: 663 EQ: 632 EX: ?
Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)
Goal Score: 700 (ALL)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I app for BCE?

@crazysxycool wrote:

I've had my Zync for a year and paid on time every month.  I LOVE my Zync because it disciplines me to pay in full (have no choice actually) but I would like to get a revolver with AMEX since I've closed 2 cards this year that had fees (Cap 1 & Orchard) and will be closing my BestBuy MC next month also since it has a fee also.  I've been reading about the approval success lately with the BCE and would love to use it for the holidays.  I'm also thinking of getting another card to replace one of the other closed cards - thinking about Chase Freedom but I already have a Chase card and I'm not sure if you can have multiple cards with them.

So my question is should I pull the trigger and apply for BCE?  Actually tried last night through my account online but when I clicked on the apply now link it said to call a rep or use the standard application.  Not sure what my EX score is but my Trans score is 716 via Walmart.  No lates or baddies at all.  Util is around 12%.

All responses welcomed.

If a BCE card fits your long term needs, I see no reason not to apply right now, except for two reasons:

1.  Amex doesn't like if you carry a balance, therefore, I wouldn't recommend using it for Christmas spending unless you have a plan and funds to pay it completely off in January

2.  Amex backdating efficiency would be best if you applied in January instead of November.  By waiting these 6 weeks, You have the potential to gain an extra 12 months of history.  If approved, your new card would show as "Open Date of January 2011"

If these two items are not important to you, feel free to app today Smiley Happy     Otherwise, best advice is to apply in January.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 13
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

@webhopper wrote:

@crazysxycool wrote:

All responses welcomed.

If a BCE card fits your long term needs, I see no reason not to apply right now, except for two reasons:

1.  Amex doesn't like if you carry a balance, therefore, I wouldn't recommend using it for Christmas spending unless you have a plan and funds to pay it completely off in January

2.  Amex backdating efficiency would be best if you applied in January instead of November.  By waiting these 6 weeks, You have the potential to gain an extra 12 months of history.  If approved, your new card would show as "Open Date of January 2011"

If these two items are not important to you, feel free to app today Smiley Happy     Otherwise, best advice is to apply in January.

Hi webhopper - thanks for your reply.  Can you explain the backdating tidbit?  I'm not sure how it works.  I see it used a lot here regarding Amex but don't quite understand it. 

Current Score: TU: 721 (12/02/12) EQ: 704 (12/2012 via SW) EX: 712 (11/19/12 via Amex)

Message 3 of 13
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Amex will make your "member since" date on your account the month you applied for the new card in the year your oldest card was opened. So for example, if you apply now, your member since date will be 11/2011 (assuming you opened your Zync in 2011) but if you wait until January, it will be 1/2011, giving you 10 extra months of age on your new account.

Message 4 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@scientifics wrote:

Amex will make your "member since" date on your account the month you applied for the new card in the year your oldest card was opened. So for example, if you apply now, your member since date will be 11/2011 (assuming you opened your Zync in 2011) but if you wait until January, it will be 1/2011, giving you 10 extra months of age on your new account.

This, but I don't recommend BCE but BCP instead, annual fee isn't a problem with the amount of savings in any aspect. You could always change it back to BCE later if you find that you don't get extra savings (99% people will) as long as you don't do atleast $100 in grocery shopping a week outside super centers. (walmart etc)

If you get a card now you'll have 2011 November reporting getting you 12 extra months of history when opening this account, if you wait until January you'll have 24 months of extra history since the card will report from January 2011. Choice is yours though, but if you love your Fico you can wait =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 13
crazysxycool
Regular Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

@scientifics wrote:

This, but I don't recommend BCE but BCP instead, annual fee isn't a problem with the amount of savings in any aspect. You could always change it back to BCE later if you find that you don't get extra savings (99% people will) as long as you don't do atleast $100 in grocery shopping a week outside super centers. (walmart etc)

If you get a card now you'll have 2011 November reporting getting you 12 extra months of history when opening this account, if you wait until January you'll have 24 months of extra history since the card will report from January 2011. Choice is yours though, but if you love your Fico you can wait =)

Thanks you guys for your replies but as always the trigger finger wins! Smiley Very Happy  I applied last night for the BCE and was given a $2k limit.  I also went ahead and app'd for a Chase Freedom and got $4k! Smiley Happy  The only thing else I want is Lowe's but will probably wait until I get my house.

Message 6 of 13
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

Congrats 2 very good cards!

Message 7 of 13
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS!!! BCE is  THE BEST CARD imo!!! I'm loving mine so far, even if I do have to PIF!

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 13
distantarray
Established Contributor

@crazysxycool wrote:

@distantarray wrote:

@scientifics wrote:

Thanks you guys for your replies but as always the trigger finger wins! Smiley Very Happy  I applied last night for the BCE and was given a $2k limit.  I also went ahead and app'd for a Chase Freedom and got $4k! Smiley Happy  The only thing else I want is Lowe's but will probably wait until I get my house.

skip on the Lowe's imo, you can get 5% back at Lowes and Home depot through the ultimate rewards mall through Chase credit cards and if you read the complaints there are TONS of complaints about Lowes.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 9 of 13
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.