Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I app for Barclay Rewards?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Should I app for Barclay Rewards?

I received a pre approval for their card which would be nice to have since no AF and I can basically use it 1-2 times per month to help my score. However I don't need the card and basically would get it for credit score improvement purposes. I got approved for 2 cap 1 cards at $3K each starting limit so should I expect something around there? If it's significantly lower should I call the EO and recon?

Is this a good card to have? I've done a lot of research and it seems to point to yes. How is the credit line increases? Fairly easy to get?

TIA

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I app for Barclay Rewards?

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

I received a pre approval for their card which would be nice to have since no AF and I can basically use it 1-2 times per month to help my score. However I don't need the card and basically would get it for credit score improvement purposes. I got approved for 2 cap 1 cards at $3K each starting limit so should I expect something around there? If it's significantly lower should I call the EO and recon?

Is this a good card to have? I've done a lot of research and it seems to point to yes. How is the credit line increases? Fairly easy to get?

TIA

If this is their rewards card for average credit, I had it at one point.  Instantly approved for $750, I think my Fico was around 650 with 1 paid judgement at the time.  The rewards post fast and it's a solid card, but they never increased my limit so I closed it after 15 months.

What Cap1 cards do you have and how old are they?  If you have negative marks on your CR I would work on addressing those first.

Message 2 of 14
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

TIA

Barclays has been excellent to me.  I started with them 2 years after my BK, instant approval for $1300 on a Rewards MC, 3 months later auto CLI to $2600 and at 6 month mark $5000 CL (first 5k limit I've ever had).  Also got the Apple Rewards VISA 2.5 years after BK, purchased new 27" iMac with 24 months 0% paid off in 6 months and PC'd card to Rewards VISA with $2500 CL.  About a year after getting the Rewards MC I PC'd that to an Arrival card, and just a week or so ago app'd for the Sallie Mae and got instant approval.  Have had nothing but a good experience with Barclay, will be closing Rewards VISA and app'ing for 2nd Sallie card beginning of 2015 (amazing card!). 

So to answer your question...yes add it to your portfolio and recon if limit is low for some reason. 

Message 3 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I got the rewards card last sep for 500. Auto CLI to 1500 in feb. In march I apped for the Nfl and was shocked to get 7500 and a world mc to boot. After a few months, I realized the rewards on the nfl didn't suit my spending, but the rewards did . I called Barclays and 10 mins later I had closed the nfl and moved the line to the rewards. I now have a 9k rewards card and couldn't be happier. I didn't set out to do this. It just worked out that way. All my "non freedom" gas and all utilities now go on this card

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 4 of 14
elim
Senior Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:
I got the rewards card last sep for 500. Auto CLI to 1500 in feb. In march I apped for the Nfl and was shocked to get 7600 and a world mc to boot. After a fee months, I realized the rewards on the nfl didn't suit my spending, but the rewards did . I called Batclays and 10 mins later I had closed the nfl and moved the line to the rewards. I now have a 9k rewards card and couldn't be happier. I didn't set out to do this. It just worked out that way. All my non freedom gas and all utilities now go on this card

hrmmmm, that sounds like a plan for me next year. what was your wallet like when you applied for BRM last september? many cards/limits?

Message 5 of 14
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info guys. Also the discover it caught my eye. Should I try for them as well? They seem to have approvals all across the board. After this mini spree it'll be time to garden!

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 14
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

It was pretty thin. I had a cap one platinum with 500 for a year, a cap one rewards for 4 months, a Lowes and a walmart for 3. I tried the preapproval site and it told me I was good.

im going to try something similar with Chase. I have read where they are good with combining limits. I called Chase because the Amazon is just not useful to me. They told me to call again after I had no activity whatsoever for 30 days. There would be a quick risk review and then they would move the limit to any other card I liked

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 7 of 14
elim
Senior Contributor

@woodyman100 wrote:

It was pretty thin. I had a cap one platinum with 500 for a year, a cap one rewards for 4 months, a Lowes and a walmart for 3. I tried the preapproval site and it told me I was good.

im going to try something similar with Chase. I have read where they are good with combining limits. I called Chase because the Amazon is just not useful to me. They told me to call again after I had no activity whatsoever for 30 days. There would be a quick risk review and then they would move the limit to any other card I liked

lmao, you just described my siggy lol. thanks for the info, i'm on the right track then. "just keep payin' that tax lien, wooooooot"

Message 8 of 14
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Well I got approved for $1,300 which is a foot in the door. Where and how do I recon to them? I'd like to see if I can get my limit up close to the cap 1 cards. I spoke with CSR and they said wait 6th months.
Personal:

Business:

Message 9 of 14
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:
Well I got approved for $1,300 which is a foot in the door. Where and how do I recon to them? I'd like to see if I can get my limit up close to the cap 1 cards. I spoke with CSR and they said wait 6th months.

Congrats.  You can try the Recon number in backdoor threads, but they may hard pull you again.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.