Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for AMEX BCE or GOLD ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I apply for AMEX BCE or GOLD ?

Just need advice of if I should pull the trigger on a AMEX BCE or GOLD ? I can afford the GOLD Fee FYI.

Current Cards:

• Quicksilver one, $1500, Sept ‘18.
    • Quicksilver, $500 May‘19.
    • Chase FU, $4300 June ‘19.
    • Discover it CB, $1700 Sept ‘19.
    • Amazon Prime Visa, $3000, July ‘20.
    • Discover It, $7800 (AU) added in July ‘20.
    • Chase Freedom, $500, July ‘20.
    • AMEX BCE, Rejected in July '20. Reasoning being credit limit on the lowest limit being too low, I believe. 

FICO: 640 - 670 across the board. Income: 85K approx. CU is always less than 3%.
18 late payments from a car loan started back when I was 21 ( 2015 ) and a plonker but paid it in full back in 2018 since I started taking <Mod cut> seriously. 
I can apply for either one and take advantage of the SUB without any MS. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks !

15 REPLIES 15
sxa001
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for AMEX BCE or GOLD ?

A couple of quick thoughts:

1) Your scores right now are a little low for having good chances for approval with either of these cards.  You are in the "Fair" range, these cards really want to see people above 700.  If anything I think you should try to get into the "Good" range which is above 670 before you start applying for any additional cards, IMHO. 

2) Being able to afford the Gold AF isn't the best indicator of if you should get the card or not.  You have to look at what your overall spend is in differrent categories.  They are also very different cards, with the BCE being a cash back only card and the Gold earning you MR's that can be used in different ways.  Without knowing your spend profile, we can't really give a good recommendation on which card is going to give you more value. 

Message 2 of 16
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I will echo a little of what's been said as it relates to your scores and some of the late payments *may* hold you back.

But getting a little past that you're mention the Gold and the BCE. One is a cash back card and the other earns reward points. If you can chime in and let us know what your goal (saving cash or looking to travel) is then you'd get some better and probably more quality answers.
Message 3 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What airline(s) do you fly?

How often?

Economy/Premium Economy or First/Business seats?

Do you want simple and easy rewards, or are you willing to learn to book airline partner awards?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies ! Here's my spending profile so I can get a better recommendation. 

Average monthly spend and categories:

dining $400-600

groceries: $200-300

gas: $200 (Approx)

travel: $1-2K/yr in Hotels/Airbnb/Car. ($400 so far this year due to COVID)

I fly about twice a yr but tickets are free so not that keen on a airline specific card.

other: $100

Online shopping: $100/month (Approx)

I would love to hoard up on MR so I can possibly get my Mum air tickets instead since I don't have to pay when I fly personally. I was thinking about getting in my foot in the door with BCE so I can apply for GOLD after or if I can apply for GOLD instead then I wouldn't care much for BCE. I would def be willing to learn to get into getting the most out of transferring points to travel partners instead. I can always learn that on this forum or other forums online. 

Message 5 of 16
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the replies ! Here's my spending profile so I can get a better recommendation. 

dining $400-600

I fly about twice a yr but tickets are free so not that keen on a airline specific card.

With your dining and grocery spend, I think the Gold is a good fit.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 6 of 16
sxa001
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

dining $400-600

I would love to hoard up on MR so I can possibly get my Mum air tickets instead since I don't have to pay when I fly personally. I was thinking about getting in my foot in the door with BCE so I can apply for GOLD after or if I can apply for GOLD instead then I wouldn't care much for BCE. I would def be willing to learn to get into getting the most out of transferring points to travel partners instead. I can always learn that on this forum or other forums online. 

The folks who have really spent the time crunching the numbers will be able to really tell you.  If you are picking soley between BCE and Gold, I would lean towards gold because of your dining spend.  BCE only earns 1% on dining.  Gold is only earning 1x on GAS.  

Personally since you aren't traveling a ton and your personal travel is free you aren't going to take advantage of the 3x on travel with Gold and may have a hard time taking a advantage of the travel credits, the $250 AF, IMHO is harder to justify in that case.  

If you were willing to wait for your scores to improve a bit and try to go for two cards say the BCE for 3% grocery paired with some other card no AF card that is giving you 3% on dining and at least 2% on gas (If you shop at Costco the Citi Costco card comes to mind, though the annual membership does change the numbers).  

Others can likely chime in on my MR's it takes for an average domestic flight booked through the AMEX portal, I have never really looked, my gut tells me cash back is going to work out better for you and getting cards that can maximize your cash back. 

Message 7 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

These are very different cards for people with very differnt goals.  Figure out what you want to get out of credit card rewards and then apply for cards that will get you there.

It sounds like you think getting a BCE would serve as a stepping stone to Gold.  If what you really want is the Gold then do what you need to do to make that one happen.  Getting cards you don't really want along the way will just slow you down by weighing down your average account age scores and such.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for the input. Yeah I even opened a AMEX savings and put 25K in it as I had thought maybe that would better my chance in getting the BCE and then onto the GOLD. But I had read since that it absolutely doesn't matter that I did that and so I'm just going to keep the funds in there as the APY isn't bad at all. I honestly thought that getting BCE was for some reason easier to get and would help be a stepping stone to the GOLD. All this input definitely gives me a better perspective now. Thanks !

Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you very much for the input. Yeah I even opened a AMEX savings and put 25K in it as I had thought maybe that would better my chance in getting the BCE and then onto the GOLD. But I had read since that it absolutely doesn't matter that I did that and so I'm just going to keep the funds in there as the APY isn't bad at all. I honestly thought that getting BCE was for some reason easier to get and would help be a stepping stone to the GOLD. All this input definitely gives me a better perspective now. Thanks !

Yes, the stepping stone theory is rarely true (OK, the Altitude Reserve requires some relationship, but that is an exception) and in general, although these things change, usually the Gold is going to be easier to get than the BCE.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.