cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Member

Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

I have a Walmart MC with only $500 CL.  I already know that they do not want to do a CLI because I applied for too many cards in a short time (and I know, that was stupid on my part).  I have Cap Plat with $3300 and Cap QS with $300 (due to increase next month on steps program).   I was hoping new card was going to be handled by Capital One and I wouldn't have to deal with Walmart.    

So much conflicting information out there.

--WM customer service told me it would just transfer over, nothing for me to do.

--Capital Oone customer service had no information about it.

--WM website now is saying that current WM cardholds will get either a Capital One Walmart or a Walmart Rewards card (not a MC).  

--I've seen on here where some people were successful in applying for the new Capital One Walmart card and not waiting for Walmart to transfer over to  Capital One. 

 

So, I'm wondering if it would be better to get ahead of Walmart and go ahead and apply for the new Capital One Walmart directly at Capital One?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

Considering you mentioned:

- steps

- too many too soon

- store vs MC

 

I would just sit on your hands and think about something else until the conversion is complete and your profile is in better standing with less new accounts, inquiries, and a higher score due to age and not applying for anything.

 

If you want to push your luck though it's a TRIPLE PULL for Cap1 now vs Synch only pulling TU.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 2 of 13
Established Member

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait


@Obscure-Expert wrote:

Considering you mentioned:

- steps

- too many too soon

- store vs MC

 

I would just sit on your hands and think about something else until the conversion is complete and your profile is in better standing with less new accounts, inquiries, and a higher score due to age and not applying for anything.

 

If you want to push your luck though it's a TRIPLE PULL for Cap1 now vs Synch only pulling TU.


Thanks for the response.  I definitely do not want a triple pull, so I'll just wait and see what happens.

My post was probably not clear.  I have 8 credit cards accounts ($10,800 with CU of 13%) and only 2 are store cards.    The Walmart is a mastercard and I was just hoping during the transfer they don't change it to a Walmart Rewards card. 

The stupid thing I did was when I got the generous Cap One CLI,  I decided to apply for & was approved for 6 more cards in the same week and my scores took a nose dive.    

My scores are back up now to TU 716, EQ 708 and EX 719  now, so I'm happy about that.  

I've learned a lot from reading here, but so much information I get lost sometimes Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 13
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

Well, then my respose was clear as mud if you're just waiting for it to transfer over vs upgrading youself through a new app.

 

6 new cards to play with should keep you busy for awhile though.  

 

Time to play CLI roulette for the next 12 months instead of applying though to give those scores time to rebound a bit.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 4 of 13
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

I would wait. They said its transfering over so give it a bit of time.

 

Plus you would save yourself an additional HP on each bureau if you jumped the gun! Win win situation!



9/16/17 FICO 9 TU-661 EQ-648 EX-607
12/27/17 FICO9 TU-706 EQ-672 EX-690
3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789


Message 5 of 13
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

I had naturally assumed that if you already have an MC that you'll keep an MC. I would be very surprised if they "downgraded" you to a store card. In any case, just wait it out. Don't poke the bear. See what happens. We'll all know in about two weeks when the Cap1 transition is complete. If you keep the MC then it's all good! If they downgrade you, then you probably need to wait a while before trying to change that because them downgrading you would mean that there's something in your profile at the moment that they don't like. 

 

Please keep us updated and let us know if you keep the MC or are downgraded. I'd be very surprised if you were downgraded. 

FICO8: Nov 20, 2018:
FICO8: Nov 20, 2019:
FICO8: Jan 11, 2020:
Goal for December 2019: FICO8 640-700 (reached! Fico 681!)
Goal for December 2020: FICO8 685-710
Overstock Store Card, $2,250Walmart Store Card, $500 limitDiscover IT Cash Back, $2000Navy Fed cashRewards, $2000Shell Citi store card, $800Navy More Rewards, $17,000RIP Green Dot Platinum
Overstock $4,250, Walmart $500, Discover IT Cash Back $2400, Navy Fed cashRewards $2000, Shell (Citi) Fuel Rewards $800, Navy More Rewards $17,000, (RIP Green Dot Platinum Secured)

Starting Score: 539
Current Score: 676
Goal Score: 760


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge   |   My credit recovery journal

Message 6 of 13
Super Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

I would wait. 

https://i.imgur.com/oyOV7FN.gif





Message 7 of 13
Contributor

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait

Both the store card and Mastercard are rewards cards.

 

According to https://www.walmart.com/cp/walmart-credit-card-transition/3559436?intcmp=RWMTAODCAOA99

 

When will I receive my new card?

 

You will receive your new card later this year or early next year. In the meantime, you can keep using your current card. If you currently have a Mastercard®, the new card you receive will also be a Mastercard®.

Message 8 of 13
Established Member

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait


@MaxEthan wrote:

Both the store card and Mastercard are rewards cards.

 

According to https://www.walmart.com/cp/walmart-credit-card-transition/3559436?intcmp=RWMTAODCAOA99

 

When will I receive my new card?

 

You will receive your new card later this year or early next year. In the meantime, you can keep using your current card. If you currently have a Mastercard®, the new card you receive will also be a Mastercard®.


Thanks.  I have looked on that website several times and totally missed " If you currently have a Mastercard®, the new card you receive will also be a Mastercard®"  That's good news.

Message 9 of 13
Established Member

Re: Should I apply for New Capital One Walmart or wait


@tenaya wrote:

I had naturally assumed that if you already have an MC that you'll keep an MC. I would be very surprised if they "downgraded" you to a store card. In any case, just wait it out. Don't poke the bear. See what happens. We'll all know in about two weeks when the Cap1 transition is complete. If you keep the MC then it's all good! If they downgrade you, then you probably need to wait a while before trying to change that because them downgrading you would mean that there's something in your profile at the moment that they don't like. 

 

Please keep us updated and let us know if you keep the MC or are downgraded. I'd be very surprised if you were downgraded. 


I am definitely waiting - I may have to sit on my hands!!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.