cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a Merrick Bank Card?

tag
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I apply for a Merrick Bank Card?

@falcon7xx wrote:

Is it better to wait 6 months to ask for a CLI from NFCU and do the new card in 4 months? Quick question, how do people get like $100-200k in CL through their credit cards? Do they use them frequently to get that kind of jump?

Also what is my best bet with my NFCU card? If i use it for everything should I just keep making payments every week to keep the card balance low?

Getting the "baller" credit lines usually takes a nice, thick spotless CR and proof you can pay it back. (4506-T, asset verifications, etc.)

Paging @gmood, @K-in-Boston, @Mahraja Smiley Wink

Ideally, you don't want more than 9% of your available credit to report as being used to optimize your score. Making payments weekly or monthly doesn't matter to NFCU as long as they are on time, so if you're more comfortable paying weekly feel free to do so. Know the closing date for your account and make a payment before it if you're running close to your limit, then make a payment to satisfy the payment that becomes due after the closing date.

Message 21 of 24
Civil
Regular Contributor

I have merrick, when I got it my credit was in the mid 500s. I want to get rid of it but it’s my oldest account so if will effect my score. I would recommend doing a prequel with discover for a better card with 0 fees and has the ability to get more credit line increase.

Message 22 of 24
falcon7xx
Contributor

I have a CO with Discover so i doubt they will consider me anytime soon.

Message 23 of 24
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

@falcon7xx wrote:

I have a CO with Discover so i doubt they will consider me anytime soon.

It will take some time, but Discover has been known to forgive some people eventually.

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.