cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a card?

tag
QVHick

Should I apply for a card?

I am currently 24 years old. My TU score is 621 (FICO) and my Experian is 633. I am rebuilding my credit and currently show 2 accounts in collections. They were from 2009 when I was young and dumb, however the date on my reports shows 2012. I disuputed this with the credit agency and they said the charge would drop off in 2016, but the date never updated back to 2009. I only currently have one CC. It's a Capital One Secured Card with a $211 limit. Other than that, I have about $55,000 in student loans (just graduated) and make $70,000 a year currently. What should I do? I applied for a Discover IT card today and was denied. I absolutely need a new(ish) vehicle in the next 4 months, so I'm trying to build my score a bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Should I apply for a card?

Recon the Discover-- the only thing you can do is that and work on getting your Capital One with a higher limit & eventually get it unsecured. If denied for Discover, I don't know that many others to try for. I'll leave that to others, but definitely recon the Discover on Monday.
Message 2 of 5
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

@QVHick wrote:

I am currently 24 years old. My TU score is 621 (FICO) and my Experian is 633. I am rebuilding my credit and currently show 2 accounts in collections. They were from 2009 when I was young and dumb, however the date on my reports shows 2012. I disuputed this with the credit agency and they said the charge would drop off in 2016, but the date never updated back to 2009. I only currently have one CC. It's a Capital One Secured Card with a $211 limit. Other than that, I have about $55,000 in student loans (just graduated) and make $70,000 a year currently. What should I do? I applied for a Discover IT card today and was denied. I absolutely need a new(ish) vehicle in the next 4 months, so I'm trying to build my score a bit. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Your collections are the cause of your denial(s).  Take care of that issue before you apply for any other cards.  One suggestion: Increase the amount of your current secured card by whatever amount you choose.  MAYBE, apply for another secured card...I've heard SDFCU is a simple process; read here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/SDFCU-Secured-card-best-card-out-there-I-think/td-p/197....  Other than that, work on resolving those collections and let your current and SDFCU secured cc (if you apply) age.  Once everything is settled and cleared with collections and ~12mo. of aging, you should be ready to apply for unsecured cc's.

Now, I'm sure someone else will come along with other options so hang tight...

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 3 of 5
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@QVHick wrote:

Your profile CANNOT be perfected in 4 months, 

what you CAN do, to increase your scores, is to make on-time paymenus on your student loans. 

apply for a bank credit card (secured or not). As for your Capitol 1 card, add more ca$h to increase your credit line. 

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@QVHick wrote:

What are the 2 accounts in collections and how much are they if unpaid?

Who do you bank with?

How long have you had the Capital One Secured Card?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.