cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for a new credit card? If so, which one?

tag
DrK

Should I apply for a new credit card? If so, which one?

I have had the Total Visa Card for 8 years. Unfortunately, it only has a CL of $800. I would like to have a new CC with a much higher CL. Should I apply now? I don't have any inquires within the past 12 months.  I don't have any baddies either. In addition, my revolving debt balance is zero. 

EX FICO - 787 (6/2010)

TU FICO - 763 (6/2010)

EX FAKO - 727 (6/2010)

Please suggest a good CC for me. Thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I apply for a new credit card? If so, which one?

Are you paying an annual fee on that?  Any other accts?  

What are your reward preferences if any?  Based on the info in OP I'd say go to the Pentagon Federal website and see if you like any of their cards, also look at Amex.

Depending on income and other factors If you' re just looking for a higher limit, my guess is you are about to get a significantly larger CL than your current one on your next app regardless of which cc you choose.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 2 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@score_building wrote:

Are you paying an annual fee on that?  Any other accts?  

What are your reward preferences if any?  Based on the info in OP I'd say go to the Pentagon Federal website and see if you like any of their cards, also look at Amex.

Depending on income and other factors If you' re just looking for a higher limit, my guess is you are about to get a significantly larger CL than your current one on your next app regardless of which cc you choose.

I tend to agree with your statement. My only issue is how high, seeing that OP doesn't have a big line on their reports.

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I would apply for Amex

Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

I would apply for Amex

Can I ask why?Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you only have 1 trade line and scores close to 800.... apply for either gold card or zync card and keep that for 6 months then go back and apply for a credit card with amex and anyone else your heart desires. amex only requires a credit score to approve for charge cards. your  like a clean slate... build yourself with the best cards

Message 6 of 10
score_building
Senior Contributor

FICO scores from 7/10..?

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 7 of 10
DrK

There is an annual fee of $79. I have other accounts....Car Loan (payment less than $200 - balance less than 6K); Retail Card (no balance). I don't have any reward preferences at this time. My annual income is around 100K. My AAofA is 7+  years and I have a 15+ year credit history.

Should I consider a credit card from a Credit Union?

Message 8 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

I agree with CreditAddict's reasoning:

"You only have 1 trade line and scores close to 800.... apply for either gold card or zync card and keep that for 6 months then go back and apply for a credit card with amex and anyone else your heart desires. amex only requires a credit score to approve for charge cards. your  like a clean slate... build yourself with the best cards"

The credit union can come along for the ride, too...just prioritize the order in which you apply for the cards.   Ask here.

You will undoubtedly get better cards than you have now.  Then you can lose that $79 AF card.

Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 10
DrK

Approved by PenFed

Thanks for the great advice. I was approved for a PenFed CC today with a limit 10K++++. This was the first CC that I have applied for in years!

TU - 763 (FICO)

EQ - 781 (FICO)

EX = 727 (FAKO)

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.