cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I apply for new credit now or wait?

tag
anderl
Frequent Contributor

Should I apply for new credit now or wait?

• Hello to all- I am new to Fico Forums and have been reading a lot of posts/info that I'm finding very helpful. I was wondering if i could get some advice as what my next step should be. Currently my scores are-EX 655,FICO-EQ 662, and FICO- TU 683 (all up from 500's 3 months ago). I have 0 collections, 2 PAID delinquint accts.(from 3yrs. ago),1 PAID tax lein(from 4 yrs. ago), and 1 PAID judgement(from 5 yrs.ago). I know that all the negatives(PAID) will become weaker as they age and eventually fall off. I have not used a cc for the past 6/7 yrs. due to the fact that I became unemployed,got behind, and things began to spiral out of control. But today I am DEBT-FREE and am rebuilding my credit with a secured Visa($500)  and low-limit($250), unsecured cc.My questions now are: Should I apply for another cc(unsecured) to increase my available credit and when to apply(since my secured and non-secured lines of credit are only 2 months old)- Any idea of which credit card is good based on my scores? Also is it correct that I should be using as much of available credit as possible and to pay it down to a balance around 7/8% every month?
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I apply for new credit now or wait?

I'm far from the expert at any of this (still rebuilding myself), but maybe if I bump this up you may get some better responses. 

In my opinion though....I'd say that you're already on your way.  Look at what you've done already just in three months!  I would say that if you are debt free...you've paid off all your old baddies...and you already have two credit cards....then you're already "working it".   What credit cards do you have?  Are either or them a major card (BoA, Chase...)?  Is the low balance card a store card?  I would say that your scores are high enough to get a Macy's card. (that's about where mine were when I got mine).

I had a fully secured Bank of America card with a $300 limit and the one thing that I do regret is that I didn't put more money towards increasing the limit.  I think that if I had increased the limit...they would have kept that limit plus maybe a little more when it became unsecured.  Right now my limit sits at $800, but it has just now been a year...so I'm not complaining. 

As far as using as much of available credit goes?  I'm not really sure about that?  I know I have done it in the past, but I honestly don't think I noticed a change in my scores?  

Whatever you decide to do...hold you head up high because you're doing a great job!

Message 2 of 6
Scamp
Valued Contributor

anderl wrote:
  • Hello to all- I am new to Fico Forums and have been reading a lot of posts/info that I'm finding very helpful. I was wondering if i could get some advice as what my next step should be. Currently my scores are-EX 655,FICO-EQ 662, and FICO- TU 683 (all up from 500's 3 months ago). I have 0 collections, 2 PAID delinquint accts.(from 3yrs. ago),1 PAID tax lein(from 4 yrs. ago), and 1 PAID judgement(from 5 yrs.ago). I know that all the negatives(PAID) will become weaker as they age and eventually fall off. I have not used a cc for the past 6/7 yrs. due to the fact that I became unemployed,got behind, and things began to spiral out of control. But today I am DEBT-FREE and am rebuilding my credit with a secured Visa($500)  and low-limit($250), unsecured cc.My questions now are: Should I apply for another cc(unsecured) to increase my available credit and when to apply(since my secured and non-secured lines of credit are only 2 months old)- Any idea of which credit card is good based on my scores? Also is it correct that I should be using as much of available credit as possible and to pay it down to a balance around 7/8% every month?

Welcome to the forums!

As the other poster has said, you've done a great job so far.  With regard to whether or not you should try to obtain another cc, my vote probably would be to wait on that and instead carefully maintain (and in the case of the secured card, see if you can add to your deposit to increase your CL) what you've got in hand for about a year - that alone should be a help to your scores.  If you're able to wait a year, I think you'd have a better chance of being approved for more decent unsecured credit - both quality of lender and CL.

When it comes to maxing score improvement, doesn't matter whether you use a lot or a little of your CL's; what matters is never going over limit, paying on time every time, and what balances report to the CRA's.

For you, I'd say best to let one report a 0 by paying it in full before the statement/reporting date (these generally will be the same, but a few lenders don't follow this rule of thumb, so you might want to do a search on yours on here to find out how they report) and let the other report 1-5% of the CL.  Maybe alternate every month or two which card reports the 0.

Are you able to add to your deposit and thereby increase your CL on the secured card?  If so, try to nudge that line up to $1K at least, if you can manage it, in upcoming months, as this will give you more 'wiggle room' for spending and paying on that cc as well as show you can handle larger CL's than just a few hundred dollars.

Hope this helps.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 3 of 6
anderl
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to thank you for your advice. I have increased my Wells Fargo Visa (secured) from $500 to $1250 and will keep the Premier Visa (unsecured)  just to have it reporting as an open account in good standing. I am going to just wait till my accounts reach 9-12 months before I apply for a new cc. By then I will have gotten 'pre-approvals' from major cc's -the fico simulator estimates my scores to be in the 710-735 range. I want to add only one more cc-one with a high cl-like an Amex Gold Rewards or since I travel a lot one with an airline. So once again THANK YOU for ur advice!
Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Diners Club ELITE MC(20K);Diners Club Premier MC(20K,could've sworn the rep said 25k, oh well lol);Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(7.5K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL);Barclays Mile & More Lufthansa 12.5K.
Message 4 of 6
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Good to read about the limits. Going to get a secured CC with my CU and they suggested $500 to start. This card doesn't unsecure, I just have to reapply in 6 months for a fully secured card, so I was thinking staying at $500. Any suggestions?

I did have my BofA at $1000 because that unsecured, and I wanted to keep a high limit...

08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 5 of 6
Itsmeagain
Established Contributor

@anderl wrote:
By then I will have gotten 'pre-approvals' from major cc's

My scores are in the mid/lower 700's and I've never gotten a pre-approval from anyone.  Maybe they just don't love me . . . . then again . . . . maybe they DO . . . . Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: TU 737 EQ 721
Current Score: TU 741 EQ 741
Goal Score: TU 765 EQ 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.