Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be added as an AU???

tag
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Should I be added as an AU???

Hi all, I've been thinking about acquiring an amex in December 2014. I have a short history but my dw has longer positive history. I'm thinking if I should just ask her to apply and add me as an au. Now my questions are: Would they hp me if she adds me??. If I apply for my own in December, will it backdate me to when she added me as an au??. If she cancels after I open my own Amex, will that affect me at all?? When I do open my own, will I still qualify for any ongoing bonus points promo??.
I appreciate all of ur responses!!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Re: Should I be added as an AU???

I would like to know if she opens any card and adds me, does it makes a difference if it's a credit or charge. Is there any difference in reference of msd??
Message 2 of 10
evil_ducky
Contributor

I'm assuming her card is an AmEx.

When an AU user is added, credit card companies ask for SSN or address to verify identity and to begin reporting the AU to the bureaus. There should be no HP for either party.

Currently with AmEx, whatever year you receive your own card or are added as an AU is your Member Since Date (MSD). That year is set in stone, and from then on whenever you apply for a new AmEx card it should be reported to the bureaus as opened in the same month you open it, but with the year that you first were an AmEx member. For example, if your DW added you in 03/2014, your MSD is and forever will be 2014, no matter whether or not it was as a charge or credit card-holder. If you then apply for your own card in December, it will show as being opened 12/2014. However if you wait one more month and open it in January of next year, the open date will be reported as 01/2014.

If your DW's card is canceled after you have been added, it will still appear on your credit report for up to 10 years as a closed account, affecting your AAoA until it is taken off sometime within the next decade. It should have no effect on your status as an AmEx cardholder if you have your own.

You should qualify for new card promos assuming that there is no wording that says it's an introductory offer for new members only. Whether you already hold the same card may affect new card promos as well.
Message 3 of 10
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Hats off to you. U really know your stuff and are very knowledgeable. Thank u so very much
Message 4 of 10
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Is there any reason why they would deny me being an au on her acct
Message 5 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

If you have defaulted with an account with Amex. However, some have still been added with a defaulted or IIB Amex account. 

Message 6 of 10
evil_ducky
Contributor

@CreditRookie22 wrote:
Hats off to you. U really know your stuff and are very knowledgeable. Thank u so very much

The forum is here for all of us to learn and share. Smiley Happy

@CreditRookie22 wrote:

They should not as it is not a request for new credit such as a new card, limit increase, or line of credit; but rather a current cardholder promising to be responsible for an additional person's (typically a family member's) charges. This is why those with a thin file are encouraged to add themselves as AUs to a card with stronger history: as long as there are no lates or other derogs associated with the card, it is a great way to expand a credit file. Some CCCs do discount AU accounts when reviewing a potential customer and only consider cards on which they are primary users, but AU accounts do factor into your FICO exactly the same as if it was your own card.

Message 7 of 10
CreditRookie22
Contributor

Is amex inquiry sensitive if I'm being added as an au
Message 8 of 10
TheGardner
Valued Contributor

They won't HP your CR so no worries on inq

If anyone needs me I will be In The Garden. Goal Score: 760 for all in 2015.
Current FICO Scores EX: 715 EQ: 756 TU: 762
Last APP April 21, 2015.
Victim of The great AMEX HP heist of Dec 1st, 2nd and 3rd of 2014.
Message 9 of 10
evil_ducky
Contributor

@TheGardner wrote:

They won't HP your CR so no worries on inq

+1 

OP, you are not getting permission from them, your wife is instructing them to provide you with a card. As you have never had an AmEx before, there is no reason why you won't get the card and the resulting credit reporting. It's the easiest thing in the world, other than waiting for the card to arrive once you've ordered it! Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.