cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be ashamed of my Credit Limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I be ashamed of my Credit Limit?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 Credit Cards. One has $8000 limit, the other has $2000 limit. The 2k limit really really bothers me I have tried to get it raised buy they won't without a HP so I said no. I feel ashamed and am losing sleep at night over this. 

(The 2k limit is the Uber Visa). 

LOL Ok please tell me you are NOT really losing sleep over a credit limit!!?? Look at my cards. I have a $200 credit limit on my Walmart Card and a $5,000 limit on my AMEX. Should I be ashamed about my $200 credit limit?

Wait, now I see your point Smiley Indifferent 

jk Smiley Very Happy

Message 41 of 49
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lose sleep at night when you dont know when the next earthquake will hit, ie me, not over a credit card limit, by which 2k is alot more than many have. Perspective can be good at timesSmiley Wink
Message 42 of 49
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lose sleep at night when you dont know when the next earthquake will hit, ie me, not over a credit card limit, by which 2k is alot more than many have. Perspective can be good at timesSmiley Wink

Hey, missed ya!Smiley Wink

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 43 of 49
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hey PeachySmiley Happy Just enjoying having cell service and trying to unwind today after another quake yesterday. Alot have it worse than me so im grateful to be even able to come on let alone have electricSmiley Happy.
Message 44 of 49
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

I was trying to figure out was this a serious post, but I guess it is. Usually when you are ashamed of something the next person or group of people know why you may be ashamed. When you whip out your credit card, no one knows your freaking credit limit. If the purchase goes through is all a merchant cares about. The other day I whipped out my $1500 bucketed Cap One Quicksilver to pay my internet and water bills and got me some Bojangles. It was a good day. 

Lastly,  stop being afraid of a hard pull for a possible CLI. Hard pulls, just like a low limit, are not the end of the credit world. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 45 of 49
Anonymous
Not applicable

@stonedog23 wrote:

I was trying to figure out was this a serious post, but I guess it is. Usually when you are ashamed of something the next person or group of people know why you may be ashamed. When you whip out your credit card, no one knows your freaking credit limit. If the purchase goes through is all a merchant cares about. The other day I whipped out my $1500 bucketed Cap One Quicksilver to pay my internet and water bills and got me some Bojangles. It was a good day. 

Lastly,  stop being afraid of a hard pull for a possible CLI. Hard pulls, just like a low limit, are not the end of the credit world. 

The only way I can see that a credit limit could cause shame is when there isn't much left on it.

About 10 years ago, I witnessed a top notch NFL wide receiver paying for 4 new tires on his monster SUV with his credit card in a Sears automotive store. His card was declined. He had to have his wife drive to Sears with cash. I wanted to joke with him and say any one of my cards will work, I can lend him the money until payday lol. I might have gotten beat up.

If a CL keeps you up at night,  but you don't want to do a HP,  I'm thinking it's well worth a HP to maybe get a CLI and sleep better at night. Small price to pay, and maybe it will be approved. 

Message 46 of 49
stonedog23
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@stonedog23 wrote:

The only way I can see that a credit limit could cause shame is when there isn't much left on it.

About 10 years ago, I witnessed a top notch NFL wide receiver paying for 4 new tires on his monster SUV with his credit card in a Sears automotive store. His card was declined. He had to have his wife drive to Sears with cash. I wanted to joke with him and say any one of my cards will work, I can lend him the money until payday lol. I might have gotten beat up.

If a CL keeps you up at night,  but you don't want to do a HP,  I'm thinking it's well worth a HP to maybe get a CLI and sleep better at night. Small price to pay, and maybe it will be approved. 

Oh yeah, I feel you on that. My friends and I always joke at a restaurant that if your server comes back without that pen, there's a problem. In Myrtle Beach last month, the server returned to the table and he had my boy's card, the receipt, and the little tray, but we noticed he had no pen. The whole table laughed, but my boy was pretty steamed, so I see your point. 

NFCU GoRewards Sig ($40,000), NFCU Cash Rewards ($33,000), PenFed Power Cash ($25,000), FNBO Evergreen Visa ($20,000), Bread Financial Rewards Amex ($19,150), PNC Cash Rewards ($18,400), PNC Cashbuilder ($18,700) , Citi Double Cash ($9600), Discover It Cash ($9000), Walmart MC ($8000), Bank of America Unlimited Cash Rewards ($7500), Fifth Third Unlimited Cash Back Mastercard ($7500), Wells Fargo Active Cash Sig($7000), Apple Card ($6000), Amex BCE($6000), Amex ED($6600), X1 Card ($5000), PNC Points ($8000), Amex Cash Magnet($2000), Fifth Third Truly Simple ($4000), Truist Spectrum Cash Rewards($4500), Truist Bright Card($4500), CapOne Quicksilver(Bucketed @$1500), US Bank Cash+ ($5,000), US Bank Cash+ ($1,000), WF mortgage 195K Fico 8: EQ 766, TU 763, EX 753, FICO 9:EQ 829, TU 812, EX 791, AAoA-97 months, AoOA-28 years
Message 47 of 49
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@stonedog23 wrote:

Oh yeah, I feel you on that. My friends and I always joke at a restaurant that if your server comes back without that pen, there's a problem. In Myrtle Beach last month, the server returned to the table and he had my boy's card, the receipt, and the little tray, but we noticed he had no pen. The whole table laughed, but my boy was pretty steamed, so I see your point. 

And even when declined, there is still a spectrum of end-of-the-world-ness!   If you are in college with some close friends, well, their cards might have been declined as well, with your family, might be more embarrasing depending on dynamics.   If you have just been pitching a business plan to potential investors, maybe not so good!

Message 48 of 49
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have 2 Credit Cards. One has $8000 limit, the other has $2000 limit. The 2k limit really really bothers me I have tried to get it raised buy they won't without a HP so I said no. I feel ashamed and am losing sleep at night over this. 

(The 2k limit is the Uber Visa). 

No!

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 49 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.