cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be concerned about Disco Cash limit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I be concerned about Disco Cash limit?

I have a $2200 limit but only a $50 cash limit. This seems VERY small compared to most. I read others who just get approved and have maybe a 25-50% cash limit compared to their regular limit.
Does this mean they see something they don't like?

I would never use it anyway... especially since Discover lets you get cash back on purchases at the regular APR but it worries me.

My history:
$200 secured card
Increased to $1000 with additional deposit
Unsecured/Graduared day of my 7th Statement
Auto CLI to $1750 in the same email as graduation
Hit button same day and went to $2200

Cash limit has always stayed at $50

Anyone else have this? Should I be concerned? TIA
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Should I be concerned about Disco Cash limit?

My Discover cash limit % is small compared with my other cards. Limit is $30,800 with cash limit of $2,400. It has grown slowly. My card was only 2k when opened years ago. Hmm, I wonder what my cash access limit was back then. I know it hasn't risen over my last few cli's.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 18
krielly
Established Contributor

My CL is 44K, but my CB limit is only 3300. Not concerned as I have no intention of using it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 3 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

DW started with student card: $500 SL and $0 CB almost 3 years ago, today $12,000 and $0 CB.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

my card was secured at $800 with a $50 cash advance limit, unsecured to $1750, stayed at $50, and then got a CLI to 5,700 and it went to $100 cash advance

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

In looking at many posts, Discover seems to set most cash limits at $2500. It may take a few years and then it seems to top out there. Like everything with Discover, there are many exceptions. My card opened in 2011 and topped at $2500.

Message 6 of 18
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Taking a cash advance on a credit card is only for the financially desperate or financially stupid anyway; I know at least one bank absolutely is aware of that and that's been pretty common knowledge out in consumer land for lenders in general, so I would highly discourage taking one except as an option of last resort.

Discover /shrug as that card only gets used for 5% anyway... but if you have a default spender like Chase FU or similar, put that cash advance limit down as small as possible so when you try to pay for something a little squirrley that may or may not be counted as a cash advance, it'll reject it and you can do something else instead.

        
Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it matters I would not use it so it is just a number that is there.

My card was also secured I started out at $200 with a $50 Cash limit... When I graduated they bumped me up to $500 and my cash limit stayed $50... Then a few days ago I requested an increase they upped my limit to $1,500 then raised the cash limit to $200..... I do not know if knowing all of this helps or not this was just my experience.

Congrats on your graduation and increases! 

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do not think the cash advance limit affects how much cash over you can get at checkout, although, I may be wrong.

Message 9 of 18
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

When I opened my card I had a credit line of $1500 and access to $800 cash. Cash limit hasn't changed though the credit line was bumped up.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.