cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be removed as an AU?

tag
fiberartist

Should I be removed as an AU?

My mom has a card that she put me on as an AU when I was a teenager over 10 years ago. She has a really high balance on this card. Would it help my credit score to have her remove me as an AU? Also, this card was opened before I was born, so it's always made it look like I've had credit my whole life and used to help me because of the longevity. Also, if I were to have her remove me, how long would it take to go off my credit history? Would it just be a couple months for the bank to report it or will it be years like if you close an account?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Should I be removed as an AU?

Message 2 of 10
TranTX
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:
You have been on it since before you were born?

The card was opened before he/she were born. He/she has been authorized user for 10 years.

CHASE: Freedom Visa 5K, Freedom MC 8.5K, United 5.9K, SP 5K
BK of AMER: Better Balance Rewards MC 11.3K
American Express: BCP 5.5K, PRG NPSL
Discover MORE 3.5K, MORE joint 500
Citi: Platinum 3250, AA Visa 6.5K, AA Business 13K
Barclay NFL: Visa 7.5k, MC 7k
Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 10
wche
Regular Contributor

How does the rest of your CRA look? What is your aaoa? I recently had me removed on my brother's acct because he had a large balance. It was also my oldest acct. However, my other card accounts made up for the loss in aaoa so it was a benefit for me. It took about 2 months for the card to stop reporting, which depends on the banking institution. You can also dispute the acct with the credit agencies as "acct is not mine" to have it removed. 

Message 5 of 10
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

If you have a few CCs in your own name, and they have decent age to them, the loss of a high balance will probably serve you well.  Of course, it depends on how high the balance is in relation to the CL.  If it's $5,000 of a 6,000 CL that's bad. If it's $5,000 of a 30k CL then it doesn't hurt as much. 

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

I concur with everyone. If you can increase your total credit limit to bring down utilization, you will be able to maintain your AU status without the high balance affecting your score in a significant way. In the long run you will appreciate having such an old card on your credit profile. The impact of AAoA and length of credit history is not to be understated. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 10
fiberartist

Well, I've lucked out for now because I didn't know the aaoa includes closed accounts. The account in question is her Visa and she had me on the Mastercard also, which was opened at the same time in 1978. That account was closed in 2007, so I'll still have that longevity until it falls off in 2017. My next oldest is from my installment loans and is a student loan in 2002, in the case of revolving my oldest is a closed store card opened in 2001. My oldest open credit card was opened in 2007.

Right now her balance it pretty nasty. I'm talking 99% of limit. My overall revolving debt to credit ratio including this account is 64%. If I were to be removed and have it come off my report, it will be 30%.

I guess the other option too is that I could have her remove me for now but when she gets the account payed down then I can have her add me back. Then I could get that longevity back without the balance.

Message 9 of 10
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@fiberartist wrote:

Well, I've lucked out for now because I didn't know the aaoa includes closed accounts. The account in question is her Visa and she had me on the Mastercard also, which was opened at the same time in 1978. That account was closed in 2007, so I'll still have that longevity until it falls off in 2017. My next oldest is from my installment loans and is a student loan in 2002, in the case of revolving my oldest is a closed store card opened in 2001. My oldest open credit card was opened in 2007.

Right now her balance it pretty nasty. I'm talking 99% of limit. My overall revolving debt to credit ratio including this account is 64%. If I were to be removed and have it come off my report, it will be 30%.

I guess the other option too is that I could have her remove me for now but when she gets the account payed down then I can have her add me back. Then I could get that longevity back withou t the balance.

I agree with this strategy. You can also talk to her about the subject and offer to help her develop a budget. 99% of utility is very OUCH. Are her other cards maxed as well?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.