cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I be worried about a synchrony account review?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I be worried about a synchrony account review?

Recently I maxed out my synchrony/Lowes personal credit card (95% UTI) and scheduled a payment for the full statement balance the day after the billing cycle closed.my FAKO score dropped over 50 points. Now it’s been over 6+ business days since they pulled the payment from my checking account and my available credit has not Yet been restored. At first I thought it was taking this long because it was my largest payment to date but now im getting worried.
Exposure with synchrony:
Synchrony mastercard $4,000 SL almost 2 months old
Lowes cc $1,037 SL 9-10 months old
I’ve never carried a balance and usually spend the same amount but this is the first time I don’t pay down the balance before the statement closes. I’ve also scheduled to pay down the synchrony mastercard to $0, UTI on that was less than 30%. As of now they dont seem to be frozen.
Let me know what you think.
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I be worried about a synchrony account review?

I’ve also maxed out a Discover/Capital One account and have had my UTI on my amex bounce between 70%-95% UTI for the last 8 months straight and never had a problem.
Message 2 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Besides SYNCB, what does your utilization look like across the board with other accounts?

Since your scores took a hit (likely because of the utilization thresholds), what are your FICO scores now, especially TU?
Message 3 of 12
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I’ve also maxed out a Discover/Capital One account and have had my UTI on my amex bounce between 70%-95% UTI for the last 8 months straight and never had a problem.

Well, with this new piece of information, it's hard to say.  Potentially, if they were to AA, they may CLD, but that's just speculation since we have no idea what their algorithms will do based on the maxed conditions of your other accounts and how often they SP your CRs.  Keep in mind that the moniker of "never had a problem" can eventually translate to an unexpected adverse action.

So, for now, all you can do is monitor the situation and see how the cards fall.  But, I would certainly look into reducing those balances as soon as practical to avoid any potential issues. 

Message 4 of 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

A few years ago I carried a 80% balance on my Amazon Synch account for 3 or 4 months. I believe the fourth month began the balance chasing. It wasn't the end of the world. My limit is now 3 times what it was before the balance chasing began. Just pay those balances down. Zero out the Synchrony accounts and they will rebound.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My fico 8 TU 730 with 14% overall UTI score updated 12/17/19
Fico 8 EX 693 updated 1/11/20

CreditKarma scores updated 1/17/20
TU 643 dropped 53pts EX 650 dropped 52pts
Total UTI 36%
Message 6 of 12
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

When it is their money at stake, they don't wait on your reports to update. You just have to pay on time. If you can't, call them. Always better to call them first than wait on them to call you.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 7 of 12
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you saying that every month you have the only 4 cards in your wallet reporting between 70-95% UT? If yes, this is not a good look to any lender. 

Also, are you running the cards back up as soon as payment post? That may be a reason CL is not restored immediately. Just a guess.

As everyone else has suggested, I think it would be a good idea to pay your balances down to <28.9%.

My suggestions are to get in the habit of:
*not having a balance on all your cards

*having only one card reporting <8.9%
*try having remaining cards report $0

GL2U

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Available credit and credit limit are two different things.  As you stated, your available credit did not update immediately. 

Last summer I maxed out my Propel card. My CL at the time was $12K. My balance was 11,600. I paid in full. My CL  stayed the same. My balance updated fairly quickly. My available credit did not. It sat at about $1,200 for two weeks (10% of my CL).

My guess is that Wells Fargo wanted to be sure my payment cleared. It can take up to two weeks because a stop payment can be applied for up to two weeks. Once a stop payment was no longer a possibility,  my entire line was restored for use.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I think Synchrony just wanted to be safe waiting a few extra days after the payment cleared. I just checked and my available credit has been restored. I had the money ready to pay the full balance before the billing cycle closed but never imagined it would be this bad letting multiple accounts report high UTI.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.