Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I bother with spend on my qs? Cli. Max benefits

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I bother with spend on my qs? Cli. Max benefits

Currently my Quicksilver (pc) from platinum (300 sl increased after 5 statement's to $500) is my least used cc, I use it around my discover statement date.. I spend about 350$ a month just to try and grow it..

Until now I've basically used discover chrome for everything 2% gas restaurant.. I just pc'd to the 5% it card. My discover anniversary is in 30 days.

I have a $1300 balance on my dcu Visa with 0 apr until July. I Never swipe this card.
I plan on applying for an amex and or 2nd it card in July.
I'm trying to maximize my cash back. Plus maximize cli at the same time.

Even discovers 1% on everything else is better than my 1.5 Quicksilver since disco doubles cash back... Until next month-(but will be applying for 2nd it card most likely the next month)
Should I bother trying to grow qs?
I know it's a starter card but is a card I will most likely keep open. Also since cap1 stopped doing account combination I already cancelled 1 secured cap 1 card last month.
Obviously the difference between 1.5 and 2% cb is minimal but is my qs even going to grow?
Would it would be a better idea to compliment my 2nd it card with a different 5% card like us bank, or go with pre qual amex ed?
Mostly spend on utilities, gas, restaurants. I have walmart, home Depot , and Amazon store cards for that.
Assuming I'll get these cards, any suggestions on best cards that would grow?
I understand it's always a little ymmv.
Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I bother with spend on my qs? Cli. Max benefits

I would close it. While there are a very few people who successfully grow these Cap One starter cards, these cases are few and far between. Generally low start cards like that are bucketed and won’t ever grow by more than a few hundred. Good luck!

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

You should use cards that make most financial sense for you. 

As far as growth, there is no way to predict if it will and by how much. Without or with minimal use, it wont. 

With decent use over the course of several months before asking for CLI, it may. In either case, I would not hold my breath over Cap One starter cards. 

I think you would benefit from another decent 5% card, if cashback is what you're looking for. 

As far as Amex ED goes, if your spend is on utilities, gas and restaurants, it's not such a great choice. Might be ok for gas, if you dont have other options. The return on utilities and restaurants would be worse than your QS.  US Bank Cash + would cover most of those categories. 

Unless you're looking for 0% intro apr or BT card, paypal cashback mastercard may be an option for you for general spend. 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remedios, ty. Edit: yes 0 intro apr for 1 card is what I'm looking for.
It would be great to get both discover and us bank 5% since they definitely fit my spending.
A bit wary of us bank as I hear they are conservative.
And a PayPal 2% credit card would be perfect.
Since I'm more sure about disco than us bank maybe I apply for the it card, then go for us bank and or PayPal in 6 months or a year..
I'm also pretty sure PayPal would approve me right now trans Union has 3 inquiries in past year maybe go for discover and pay pal same day, then us bank in 6 months or more...
How do these plans sound?

Obviously no1 can assure me of approval, but does getting 2 cards now make sense? Or just 1 and let my aaoa grow ( Wich will be one year next month), and app for 2nd maybe 3rd down road?

The past two years in June I got auto loans so those inquiries (10 all in 30 day period) will fall off and age over 1 year.
This year I will do 1 or 2 and wait 6 months plus
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pinkandgrey -Will closing cards affect manual reviews?
Just don't want it to look like I open and close accounts to often.
Message 5 of 13
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Pinkandgrey -Will closing cards affect manual reviews?
Just don't want it to look like I open and close accounts to often.

I wouldn’t worry. I’ve closed numerous cards—sometimes within short periods of time. I have personally closed 3 Cap One cards over the years and I didn’t even have any of them very long. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Remedios, ty. Edit: yes 0 intro apr for 1 card is what I'm looking for.
It would be great to get both discover and us bank 5% since they definitely fit my spending.
A bit wary of us bank as I hear they are conservative.
And a PayPal 2% credit card would be perfect.
Since I'm more sure about disco than us bank maybe I apply for the it card, then go for us bank and or PayPal in 6 months or a year..
I'm also pretty sure PayPal would approve me right now trans Union has 3 inquiries in past year maybe go for discover and pay pal same day, then us bank in 6 months or more...
How do these plans sound?

Obviously no1 can assure me of approval, but does getting 2 cards now make sense? Or just 1 and let my aaoa grow ( Wich will be one year next month), and app for 2nd maybe 3rd down road?

The past two years in June I got auto loans so those inquiries (10 all in 30 day period) will fall off and age over 1 year.
This year I will do 1 or 2 and wait 6 months plus

I would go for Disco first, they like profiles with limited credit and are not overly concerned with AAoA. 

Check prequal and see what shows up. 

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Would closing it look better to banks?
Would they like seeing only two other credit cards so they feel like they have a better chance at being your go to card?
Message 8 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I wouldn't close any card because of how it looks to other lenders, but I would close them if I am certain they will see no use.

You already have limits higher than that one, so I would not worry about the "looks"

Also, I dont think the presence of lower limit card matters that much. I am pretty sure I still have one that's $500, right next to one that's $30k.

Do what's right for you, dont over think it 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do in 30 days.(can't check til then) I feel like if I always have a discover card in it's first year I have 10% categories and 2% on everything else, then I wouldn't have a need for pay pal.
After one year I will combine my accounts with disco keeping older card open.
Next I have to figure out when I should get my (other usefull card). I might just apply for amex ed right after discover.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.