Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel some credit cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I cancel some credit cards?

I have an excellent (800+) FICO score, and many credit cards I no longer use. I also have quite a few mortgages (almost all are for investment properties) plus a HELOC (almost maxed out), and find myself frequently being turned for new credit cards, even though I have a good salary (in addition to the rental income) and don't miss payments. I have no trouble paying my balances off every month - I never use revolving credit. When I am given a reason for refusal, it's usually because of my debt to income ratio.

Would closing some of the cards I no longer use be beneficial in any way? They are all no-fee cards; most are disused because I now have cards with better benefits.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have an excellent (800+) FICO score, and many credit cards I no longer use. I also have quite a few mortgages (almost all are for investment properties) plus a HELOC (almost maxed out), and find myself frequently being turned for new credit cards, even though I have a good salary (in addition to the rental income) and don't miss payments. I have no trouble paying my balances off every month - I never use revolving credit. When I am given a reason for refusal, it's usually because of my debt to income ratio.

Would closing some of the cards I no longer use be beneficial in any way? They are all no-fee cards; most are disused because I now have cards with better benefits.

Thanks!

Thats your answer

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats your answer

Not really. Is it the debt of my mortgages or the unused debt of the credit cards?

Message 3 of 38
rbentley
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats your answer

Not really. Is it the debt of my mortgages or the unused debt of the credit cards?

Unused credit is not a debt for DTI purposes.  

Message 4 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Unused debt" by definiton cannot be used in a DTI ratio calculation so that's not the answer.  A credit line is not a debt, the actual debt occurs when there's a balance on the credit card.  Your credit application denials are most likely due to your current mortgage obligations and your maxed out HELOC.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, that's exactly the sort of answer I was looking for. Unfortunately it's not the one I wanted to hear... :-(

Message 6 of 38
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks!

You've been turned down for credit cards because of "debt to income ratio"? It's funny, I've been turned down many times but never saw that given as a reason. Are you sure those are the words?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 7 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

DTI denials tend to be CU based.

Big banks just say No you have too much credit already when you hit a percent of income like 50%-75% with that particular lender.

OP... who are you applying with?

Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have credit cards that you don't use, there's no harm in closing them down.  The only exception would be if they are non-AF cards that are either your oldest or one of your oldest accounts, as allowing it to continue to age would be a good thing for your file 10+ years from now relative to closing it/them today.  Anything else though, I'd just close it.

Message 9 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Per AJC

Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.