cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I cancel some credit cards?

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?

Lets remember to be FSR here, thank you everyone. As to the case of OP, he did ask about closing credit cards so its perfectly ok to respond to that aspect of the question.
#ChaseCreditCardHobby Enthusiast
2022
!
Message 11 of 38

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?



You've been turned down for credit cards because of "debt to income ratio"? It's funny, I've been turned down many times but never saw that given as a reason. Are you sure those are the words?


I know I've been turned down for credit due to DTI ratio. I may be conflating a loan application my wife and I submitted with credit card applications, but it's happened more than once.

Message 12 of 38

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?


@Obscure-Expert wrote:

DTI denials tend to be CU based.

 

Big banks just say No you have too much credit already when you hit a percent of income like 50%-75% with that particular lender.

 

OP... who are you applying with?


Hmm, is that really how it works? In that case it would benefit me to cancel some cards. I don't remember the last card I was rejected for; it was several weeks ago and I generally don't keep track, I just throw away the rejection letter and forget about it.

 

The only bank where my credit limit approaches that percentage is American Express.

Message 13 of 38
Community Leader
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?

I’m not entirely sure what the question is, but as for closing cards, I would do it. You have good, established credit. I would close any and all cards you don’t want or use. Closing unused cards just simplifies things so much in my opinion. I have never given any thought to the age of the card I want to close. If I don’t want it, I close it. Done. 

 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 19.7k
Amex BCE: 18k
Citi DC: 5.7k
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once you go Berner, you never go back.
Message 14 of 38
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?

Welcome, @RunningWithScissors. Smiley Happy

 

@pinkandgrey, the problem is that RWS has a bunch of mortages and a HELOC that's almost maxed. That results in a DTI that's unusually high. Even though he has no trouble making payments, he has trouble getting credit cards due to DTI.

 

RWS, I'm not sure that closing cards is going to help. If available credit were the problem, there'd probably be some clue in the denial reasons. You say you "never use" your revolving credit, I think that's a more likely reason. You might help yourself by making sure all your cards show recent usage.You don't have to add to your DTI to do this. Simply pay off your charges before the reporting date.

 

Otherwise, I think bringing the HELOC balance down could be a big help.

Message 15 of 38
Super Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?


@RunningWithScissors wrote:

I don't remember the last card I was rejected for; it was several weeks ago and I generally don't keep track, I just throw away the rejection letter and forget about it.

I might suggest being a bit more conservative in your approach.  If you can't remember the card you were rejected for just a few weeks ago it probably means you're applying for products that you don't really need, unnecessarily apping for a ton of products, etc.  The taking on of unnecessary inquiries only gives potential lenders further ammo to say "no" the next time you app.

Message 16 of 38

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:


I might suggest being a bit more conservative in your approach.  If you can't remember the card you were rejected for just a few weeks ago it probably means you're applying for products that you don't really need, unnecessarily apping for a ton of products, etc.  The taking on of unnecessary inquiries only gives potential lenders further ammo to say "no" the next time you app.


I appreciate the concern, but no, that's not the case. I only apply for a new card when there's an extraordinary benefit, such as several hundred in cash for making a certain amount of purchases in the first three months. The reason I can't remember what card it was is that once I was rejected, I had no reason to think about it any more. It's not like I get these offers constantly. I didn't get my FICO score as high as it is by being careless.

Message 17 of 38
Super Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?

I might then suggest that you come up with a way of tracking what you app for.  If you can't remember what it was a few weeks ago, who's to say that you won't app for the same product again in attempt for the same SUB and receive another [unnecessary] denial.

Message 18 of 38
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?


@BrutalBodyShots wrote:

I might then suggest that you come up with a way of tracking what you app for.  If you can't remember what it was a few weeks ago, who's to say that you won't app for the same product again in attempt for the same SUB and receive another [unnecessary] denial.


I would say w/ the OP's info provided you're knocking on the wrong door here.

 

800+ FICO (check)

Multiple Mortgages / Invetsments  (check)

Ability to manage / use a HELOC instead of running up CC's / lower rate and tex deductible   (check)

Picks up SUB's when they become available   (check)

 

I think everything is fine and OP was just wondering about the denial reason on the DTI excuse and whether or not closing cards would help alleviate the issue.  Reading between the lines the issue may be the high balance on the HELOC at the moment and once that's paid down again the same app could result in an approval.  Tracking applcations the way we've invested time in may not be a priority for OP since everything outside of a single app denial is running fine.

 

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

500K+ TCL / 800+ FCOs
Message 19 of 38

Re: Should I cancel some credit cards?


@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Lets remember to be FSR here, thank you everyone. 

OK, I Googled this initialism and couldn't find anything that would appear to fit the context (I'd like to think it's Five Second Rule, but I'm pretty sure that's not it). Could you enlighten me please?

 

ETA: found itFSR, FS&R = Friendly, Supportive & Respectful

 

I've been on many forums over the years and this is the first time I've seen that one...

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.