cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I carry a balance on a credit card?

tag
ALM10303
New Visitor

Should I carry a balance on a credit card?

I recently paid off $30,000 in credit card debt. I have about $40,000 in available credit between Visa, Mastercard, and Store Credit Cards. All of which now have a balance of $0. To help increase my credit score should I carry a balance on one card, multiple cards or no cards? I am fairly young and dont not have any credit guidance. Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ALM10303
New Visitor

Re: Should I carry a balance on a credit card?

Sorry duplicate post.... Anyone know how to delete?

Message 2 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@ALM10303 wrote:

I recently paid off $30,000 in credit card debt. I have about $40,000 in available credit between Visa, Mastercard, and Store Credit Cards. All of which now have a balance of $0. To help increase my credit score should I carry a balance on one card, multiple cards or no cards? I am fairly young and dont not have any credit guidance. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the forum

Carry a balance on 1 card between 1-9% 

All other cards PIF before statement cuts this will help build scores

On a side note I like to alternate which card has the balance every month so that a different card is showing activity each month ...just me tho

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 7
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

Welcome to the forum

Carry a balance on 1 card between 1-9% 

All other cards PIF before statement cuts this will help build scores

Technically, I don't think this "builds" scores, in the sense that paying on time or letting accounts age will.  In other words there is no cumulative benefit to manipulating the payoff dates and leaving a 1-9% to report.  I consider this step a fine tuning for a targeted period where you are say applying for a refi or new cards.  Fwiw, I had 8-10 cards reporting balances and my score went up 12 pts this month  Smiley Happy

ps

Nice Spade! ... joining you soon!

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 4 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Just to be clear, you don't need "carry a balance" to improve credit score. I think of carrying a balance as meaning you have running balance into next month and paying interest. What above posters are saying is allowing a card to "report" a balance which is letting the bank report a balance of which you pif and pay no interest. Also above poster is right in pointing out that there is no "building" aspect to having balance reporting. If you have ideal balance reporting, then it will boost your score that month, if you don't then score will go back down. If you have it report ideal balance again, it will go back up by same amount it did first time (although other factors like AAoA etc. changed so score might not be same)
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 7
brother7
Established Contributor

There are pearls of wisdom found in each response posted thusfar.

I think the phrase "carry a balance" is confusing. In my opinion, the BEST CREDIT CARD PRACTICE (ignoring the credit score effect for the time being) is to PAY IN FULL every month. By pay in full, I mean to pay the entire balance (the amount shown on the monthly statement) by the due date (the date shown on the monthly statement). By paying in full, you avoid unnecessary interest charges and late fees.

Once you've paid in full, you can take additional steps to sculpt your credit score.

For a long term effect on credit score, simply let your accounts age and don't apply for new credit. Letting your accounts age will increase your AAoA which will lead to higher scores. Not applying for new credit will keep the number of credit inquiries low which will lead to higher scores.

To optimize the daily snapshot of your credit score, there are no hard-and-fast rules. But it is widely believed that you can maximize your snapshot by allowing only 1 of your cards to report a balance on the monthly statement and let all other cards report zero balance. For the card that reports a balance, the amount should be 1-9% of its credit limit.

Optimizing the snapshot takes some planning. For all your cards except the one, you need to 1) pay-in-full and 2) if you continue to use the card, pay whatever the running balance is before the next statement date. For the one card that will report a 1% balance, you will 1) pay-in-full and 2) continue to use the card but pay down the balance so that only 1% balance reports on the next statement. For example, if the credit limit is $1000, let a $10 balance report.

I hope that was clear.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 7
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

I guess each one of us have different methods when it comes to paying credit card debt.

Personally, I do not manage my finances based on what my FICO Score would be.

I allow all my credit cards to report a balance and pay them prior to the due date.

Everyone is happy, the Credit Card Issuer that obtains a fee for me using the card and their

satisfaction that I use their card on a monthly bases and pay in full.

Micromanaging for the sake of a higher FICO Score is just plan Ludicrous.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.