Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close Cap 1

tag
ironchef
Regular Contributor

Should I close Cap 1

I have a Cap one card that has a Low CL on it that is 2 years old , I hardly use it and it has no balance. Over 8 cards this is no help and makes no sense to keep open. I would like to know how this will effect my Fico8 score as it sits around 780? should I close it or keep it open with no use ? 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I close Cap 1

Close it definitely. Assuming your utilization won’t be affected, you probably won’t see an impact to your score. Your AAoA won’t be affected for many years.

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 6
ironchef
Regular Contributor

okay  thank you!

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have to ask... close it.

I closed my cap one secured platinum last year and my quicksilver a couple months ago. Got sick of being turned down for cli requests while my score has gone up 200 points and other creditors are throwing credit at me.

No hard feelings. At least they’re a lot better than credit one. I have no desire to apply for any credit with cap 1 again though.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, I also vote to close if you're not getting use out of it and closing won't negatively affect your utilization. Also, it will stay on your credit reports for up to 10 years, positively contributing to your AAoA. 

Message 5 of 6
ironchef
Regular Contributor

Got it thank you for your Info!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.