Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close a few accounts?

tag
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Should I close a few accounts?

Hello all.

I would like to reduce the amount of cards I have.

Here are my current cards:

- Amex Gold (Want to get rid of - no need for the fee) (I Plan on opening an Amex Everyday to keep points)

- Amex Delta (Would like to PC to $0 fee Hilton card)

- Chase CSP

- Chase Freedom

- Chase United Explorer

- Citi TYP

- Citi Diamond Preferred - No use anymore

- Capital One QS

- Capital One Venture

- Discover IT

- Best Buy Store

- Best Buy MC (I have no need for it - but it's my oldest card?)

- Express Store

Thoughts on the above?

Also - If I PC my Amex Delta, what happens to my delta points? Do I have to use them within a certain amount of time?

Thank you all!

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Should I close a few accounts?

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hello all.

- Amex Gold (Want to get rid of - no need for the fee) (I Plan on opening an Amex Everyday to keep points)

- Chase CSP

- Chase Freedom

- Chase United Explorer

- Citi TYP

- Capital One QS

- Capital One Venture

- Discover IT

- Best Buy Store

- Express Store

Thoughts on the above?

Also - If I PC my Amex Delta, what happens to my delta points? Do I have to use them within a certain amount of time?

Thank you all!

Its tough to tell what is the best move without knowing AAoAs and the age of each card. That being said getting rid of the amex gold to avoid the AF is a solid move if you don't use it. I am going to ditch the PRG and got the amex everyday like you are considering so I could keep the points active. What I would say is you should start by looking at your AF cards. If you have no use for those cards then downgrade or cancel them. If your AAoAs is decent then it shouldn't be a problem. The cards will stay on your report for like 10 years. It seems like you have a decent selection of cards so if you want to close your BB card feel free. I don't know for sure about your delta points, but if they are sent to your delta frequent flyer account then I believe they will remain there after you close your card. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hello all.

- Chase CSP

- Chase Freedom

- Chase United Explorer

- Citi TYP

- Capital One QS

- Capital One Venture

- Discover IT

- Best Buy Store

- Express Store

Thoughts on the above?

Thank you all!

Its tough to tell what is the best move without knowing AAoAs and the age of each card. That being said getting rid of the amex gold to avoid the AF is a solid move if you don't use it. I am going to ditch the PRG and got the amex everyday like you are considering so I could keep the points active. What I would say is you should start by looking at your AF cards. If you have no use for those cards then downgrade or cancel them. If your AAoAs is decent then it shouldn't be a problem. The cards will stay on your report for like 10 years. It seems like you have a decent selection of cards so if you want to close your BB card feel free. I don't know for sure about your delta points, but if they are sent to your delta frequent flyer account then I believe they will remain there after you close your card. 

Exactly.

I also wouldn't close anything with no annual fees.

Message 3 of 33
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hello all.

- Chase CSP

- Chase Freedom

- Chase United Explorer

- Citi TYP

- Capital One QS

- Capital One Venture

- Discover IT

- Best Buy Store

- Express Store

Thoughts on the above?

Thank you all!

Exactly.

And I wouldn't keep anything open that had no use.    We can have this discussion every day!

Message 4 of 33
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@red259 wrote:

@Jansroom726 wrote:

Hello all.

- Chase CSP

- Chase Freedom

- Chase United Explorer

- Citi TYP

- Capital One QS

- Capital One Venture

- Discover IT

- Best Buy Store

- Express Store

Thoughts on the above?

Thank you all!

Exactly.

And I wouldn't keep anything open that had no use.    We can have this discussion every day!

It's like a merry go round that never ends whenever this topic is brought up.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 5 of 33
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Tbh I would close the bestbuy store card and keep the mc card open . Same benefits but you get a MasterCard 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Closingracer99 wrote:

Tbh I would close the bestbuy store card and keep the mc card open . Same benefits but you get a MasterCard 

If it's the $59 AF one, I wouldn't keep it.

Message 7 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

We do go over this every day. You have a lot of accounts. I would close any that have no AF and you aren't using. There is little to no point in keeping them open. If you are not going to get a benefit out of something, why keep it? I've heard the arguments for keeping -- AAOA and util -- and they just aren't worth it, at least not in my view. I don't think not having an AF is a reason to keep a card. You aren't married to a card or lender. You can and should move on when you get cards that are better suited for you.

Move on from cards that you no longer want/need. It's simple, really. Otherwise, what's the alternative, keep every card you opened forever?

Message 8 of 33
Jansroom726
Regular Contributor

Hey thanks for the replies so far.

Regarding the BestBuy MasterCard, I actually have no annual fee - as it was a perk while working at best buy just after high school.  I still may close it, as it serves no real purpose and the limit doesn't seem to grow without a HP 

25 years old. Scores around 740. Income = 45K. Chase Car Loan @ 2.4%, AAOA = 2 years. Total Personal CL = 120k.
Message 9 of 33
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Even with no AF, if you aren't going to use it, and it's not going to grow, there's no point in keeping it forever hoping things will change. I'd just move on Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.