cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close all my credit and start over...?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I close all my credit and start over...?

Most of the stuff you have is fixable.  I was in a bad position when I joined this board almost 3 years ago.  I had a 525, 526, and 527 FICO score.  I opened up anything that they would let me have Capital One Platinum, Lend up, BOA 99/500 card, J Crew, Pottery Barn,  Express, Fingerhut, Kohls.  Denied for Target, Walmart, JC penney and Macys.  Even denied for Discover secured.

Things turn around quickly.  I cancelled Finger Hut and Kohls after a couple of months.  Within a year BOA, Cap One and Lend up card were gone. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.   It took me about a year to start getting 20k+ approvals.  I have probably opened 40 new cards since then and never don't get approved.   Well other than 5/24 rules.  And I even got around that this month. 

My one thing of advice is don't max out your card month to month. If you can't pay them off before the closing date than don't charge on them.  I would only let one card report with a balance and a small balance at that. 

Keep your Discover, Amex , Chase and NFCU.  Use them wisely and you will continue to get good cards.  Amex and Citi don't care how many other cards you have open.  You could be 60/24 and they would approve you. 

Message 31 of 47
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
What is AA?

Typically, that means Adverse Action. 

It could also be American Airlines. And speaking of them, they offer two cards from different lenders. One from Citi and one from Barclays. You might look into them. 

I choked on and spit coffee all over my phone!

Perfect 

Message 32 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

This one has me totally speechless...  Smiley Surprised

Message 33 of 47
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Basically the title says it all. About 7 months ago I didn't know what a 5/24 was. Or the difference between a sub prime card or a store card. Points? What are those? I didn't know anything really. I only had a few cards left from over the years.

Victoria Secret $1,000. 
Kohl's $700. 
Target RedCard $500. 
Capital One $300. 

I had late payments on the Target and Capital One. I had 2 30 day late's on the Target and 5 late's on Capital One (2=60 & 3=30).

These cards are from 2013. My last late's were May 2017. Most these late payments fall off early and mid 2021.

I started thinking I could "outsmart" the credit game and I closed my Capital One card thinking I could eliminate my late payments. I guess we all know how that turned out. Lol! 

Then one day I am sitting here and I feel incomplete. I feel like I am missing so much in life. I keep getting YouTube video's popping up in my feed like "how to get a monster CL" or "Best CC's in 2019". So I decided to apply for some credit. 

First I called Discover. I was approved for an $8500 Discover IT card.

Hung up with them and called Chase. They gave me a $5000 CSR card. 

Then I called AMEX. They gave me an AMEX ED card for $1k.

I didn't really want much else but I couldn't stop. I was riding a wave and just kept dialing. 

I called Credit One and they gave me a $1k Visa. (I had a $350 card with them and I closed it in 2016)

Then I called Finger Hut and they gave me $350.

2 days later I drive down to NFCU and open a savings and checking. I immediately apply for their Plat card and CLOC. I received both for $500 each.

Also 2 months ago I was reading about the NFCU SSL. Yup... I did that one for $3010 and paid it down to $253. Next payment is like 2024 or something like that.

When I applied for all these cards I was in the process of moving a business and opening another one... Sooooo I maxed out all the cards except Finger Hut. When I applied for FH they didn't tell me a limit or anything. They said a card was being mailed. It arrived and when I seen the limit I called and told them I didn't want it. It's on my credit report as opened and closed in the same month.

I was at 99% utilization after the 1st month. Lol... Ok. I know. Not funny. Once summer passed and I was done with my relocation I decided to start trying to get these cards paid off. All of them are paid except Disco which I owe $2600 on. My statement date is the 25th and I will pay it off by the next statement date.

After I went on the app spree/binge I started reading here. I realized Credit One was a huge mistake (I told you I didn't know anything about credit and nobody told me this is a builder/rebuilder card). So was the Finger Hut (I didn't know it could show up on my credit report since I never used it). Now I am trying to clean up my credit report...

Should I close the Credit One? CHASE? Disco?

I use 100% of all available credit on all my accounts every month. And I pay in full on the due dates (except Disco. Dec will be the first month it has been paid in full. I charge about $3 to 5k every month on the Disco and pay that amount off every month but there is always a $2 to $3k balance).

I also take cash advances from my cards which now I read raises a red flag and I will never get a CLI. My Disco card gives me $1700 and my Chase gives me $1k. I take it every month. Sometimes a couple times a month. Sometimes I pay back in 24 hours and sometimes I pay back by my due date. It was always just an easy option for me and I didn't know credit card companies flag you as risky for doing this. I guess I won't be taking anymore cash advances. Lol!

As you can see I have a ton of new and poorly managed credit in the last 7 months. Which ones should I close? How can I best clean up this mess (I know time is the the main option) so my profile don't look so bipolar? Since I took cash advances should I close Disco and Chase and start over with them in a year or 2?

My Average age of credit is now 26 months. My youngest is the NFCU SSL which is 2 months.

I wrote this last night to ask advice of this community but I also wrote it to kind of distract myself from applying for more credit. I almost app'd for an Amazon store card and a Walmart card. I had both in 2012 and in 2015 I went through a divorce. I was late on every single card I owned at the time. Lowes, TJMAX, Walmart, Amazon, Chevron, Macy's, JCP's and my first Credit One card. I was 60 days late on all of them. I paid them in full but they closed All of them except for Walmart. Walmart was $1k limit and they reduced it to $100 after being late. I never used it and eventually it was closed. Now... On all those accounts I was late on I wrote letter's to the Presidents and CEO's and asked for goodwill adjustments. All the late payments were removed. Target and Capital One said no. They said no 1000 times already. LOL! HEEEELP!!!

Don't close any of the accounts at this time.

Start using the snowball method:

1. Stop using cards.
2. Pay off smallest balance first, then next smallest, and so on.
3. On other cards pay minimum + something each month.
As each balance turns to zero, that will free up your remaining monthly cash to apply to the next smallest balance.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 34 of 47
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Unbelievable. I wonder if these are ever troll posts. 

Message 35 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

You have to wonder.  They often are books that take 10 minutes to digest. Lol.

BTW, I was assessed a late fee. Should I commit suicide?

Message 36 of 47
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Is this the part where we all say "no", then you go, "oh yes, I'm going to", then we say "okay" and you go "no, I'm not going to"?

Message 37 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

Troll? Not hardly. And why would you think that? Because everything I did is against what the "professionals" here recommend? Lol... Everyone is entitled to their opinions and you know what they say about those. So... Quick update as to how I pushed the limits. LOL!!! 

After everyone freaked out on my post here I logged onto my AMEX account. I initiated a chat with a rep. I explained that I wanted to focus on giving my swipes to AMEX and would close my Credit One acct but that the limit I have with AMEX wasn't enough to sustain my spending patterns.

She says "Ok you can request a credit limit increase. Would you like me to walk you through it?"

I say no because I just paid off my AMEX account and the statement date isn't for a couple more days.

She comes back and says "Well I checked your account and there are no offers on it at the time but that don't mean you won't be approved for a credit limit increase."

I tell her nevermind that maybe I will close AMEX & Credit One so that I can focus on my CHASE and Disco cards.

She types back that she is going to make a note on my account that I chatted with her about an increase so that as soon as there's an offer I will receive an auto cli. Then she says she can walk me through on how to request an increase.

I tell her no thanks because now that I have thought it out I think it's better that I focus on my other 2 cards. I see on the screen that she is typing. Instead of waiting on her reply I close my browser ending our conversation!

LOL! Soooooo... I wake up and check my account and I had a new limit of $3k!!! They bumped my $1k to $3k off a chat! I couldn't believe it! I was so surprised I figured I might as well keep pushing my luck.

I app'd for the Amazon store card. BAM! Approved for $2500!!! Hahahaha... This is nuts! I wanted the Amazon Prime but I knew that would probably really be pushing it.

I thought to myself... I got one more pull in me. Lol... So I log into my NFCU account and app'd for the Flagship Rewards card... The lil wheel was spinning. I thought "welp you finally over did it". BOOM! $20K!!!! Ok.. I am officially done. Going to the garden for at least 3 years!!! Lol! 

Message 38 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

You have to wonder.  They often are books that take 10 minutes to digest. Lol.

BTW, I was assessed a late fee. Should I commit suicide?

Your loved ones might miss you so I wouldn't do that.

Message 39 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:
Is this the part where we all say "no", then you go, "oh yes, I'm going to", then we say "okay" and you go "no, I'm not going to"?

Nope... This is the part where you could have kept scrolling. LOL

Message 40 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.