cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my 2 bucketed cap1 QS & QS1 ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my 2 bucketed cap1 QS & QS1 ?

Have both a Cap 1 QS & QS1 

Got them when I 1st started out rebuilding my credit, starting limit on both  $400?

Opened about 3 years ago,  they have sat at a $700 CL on both for over a year and a half. Never get any CLI love on those accounts. 

So honestly have stopped even using them as they don't meet me credit needs. I mean its hard to utilize with those limits when I have other limits much higher and alot better interest rate, even tho I PIF each month 

So I am not sure, should I just put them in sock drawer and let them die off, or should I keep them open to help my Credit Age Grow ?

Any advice would be great thank you to all

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Should I close my 2 bucketed cap1 QS & QS1 ?

Do you have other revolving accounts?

Perhaps, when QS1 annual fee is approaching, if you are not able to do a product upgrade, think about closing it before the annual fee hits.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't stand "hostage" cards. Bucketed cards, subprime cards,  fingerhut, etc.

If at all possible,  close them and get them off your report (in 10 years). You don't want to hurt your credit report, but if you have several other decent cards that you plan to keep for a long time, I'd rid myself of those cards in a ❤ beat.

Message 3 of 6
Slabenstein
Valued Contributor

I don't see any reason not to close them, as long as:

1) clipping $1400 from TCL isn't going to push you over a util threshold

2) you have other cards close to them in age and

3) you would still have three bank cards.

DNA's add the hassle of having to watch them for fraud & remember to do maintenance swipes, so for me it wouldn't be worth it for two bucketed cards.  The QS1 I'd close before the AF comes due, regardless.  No reason to pay for something you could get w/ higher cl from any major issuer for free.

Message 4 of 6
Beast26
Frequent Contributor

I have the same question.  I plan on getting 2 cards in December.  That would put me at 5 total revolving lines.  I have fingerhut and a Quicksilver which is bucketed at $600.  I put heavy spend on it for 6 months $1400/month just to get a $100 CLI and that is not acceptable.  I had to make some pretty big purchases during that time like car repairs that costed over $2000 and I could've gotten so much more cashback if I had a decent credit limit with them.  I'm done with it but I just need to know at what point I should close it.  Should it be right after I get my 2 new cards in December and let them report?  That would keep me over 3 revolving lines of credit.

Revolving history: 2 years 4months across the board
AAoA:
TU: 5yrs 10months
EX: 2yrs 2 months
EQ: ~5yrs 6 months
Inquiries: Ex: 1/12. EQ: 1/12 Tu: 1/12
As of 10-5-2020

Quicksilver $3,000
Discover It Miles $17,500
Chase Freedom Flex $4,400
Amazon Prime Store Card $6,000
Walmart MC $2,500
Wells Fargo Active Cash $8,000
Citi Custom Cash $8,400
Verizon Visa $20,000
Message 5 of 6
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have both a Cap 1 QS & QS1 

Got them when I 1st started out rebuilding my credit, starting limit on both  $400?

Opened about 3 years ago,  they have sat at a $700 CL on both for over a year and a half. Never get any CLI love on those accounts. 

So honestly have stopped even using them as they don't meet me credit needs. I mean its hard to utilize with those limits when I have other limits much higher and alot better interest rate, even tho I PIF each month 

So I am not sure, should I just put them in sock drawer and let them die off, or should I keep them open to help my Credit Age Grow ?

Any advice would be great thank you to all

Without knowing anything about your profile it is impossible to say if you should close them or not at this point in your credit journey. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.