Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my Citibank card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my Citibank card?

I've been debating for quite a while about this; I've had a Citibank Diamond Preferred Credit card for years now. I put purchases onto it every so often, like a coffee and news paper every morning, and I pay it off each month. I feel like its just a cycle of the same thing over and over. Every month I have the same balance, Every month I write out a check for about $150. (28 Days worth of morning coffee and newspapers.) I could easily pay cash for the coffee and paper every morning, or I could put them onto a different card. But I feel like I have too many cards. Should I cancel it, or keep it just so it looks good on my credit report? Any help? Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Meltdownblitz
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I close my Citibank card?

I would keep doing what your doing. Ask for a CLI every so often as well. It does look good on your credit.

Barclays Uber - 4% Restaurants, 2% Online Purchases/Everyday Card || PenFed Cash - 5% Gas || Amazon Visa Signature - 5% Amazon || U.S. Bank Cash+ - 5% Utilities, 5% Cable/Internet || AMEX BCP - 6% Groceries || WF Cash - Cell Insurance || Rotating 5% Categories - Chase Freedom, Discover It, Citi Dividend || AMEX Zync - For Fun!

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you've had it for years and years you should keep it imho. It's probably helping your score through AAoA.

Mike

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If It's old with a 15K limit, it's probably worth hanging onto.  Is there another Citi card that you're more interested in that you could product change into? Can you set up online payments? Not writing that check every month might make it a little less annoying. Smiley Happy

The 15K limit you have listed for Zync - is that from checking your spending ability?

Message 4 of 11
quest208
Frequent Contributor

I wish i had your problem

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 5 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Keep it.  You gain absolutely nothing from closing it and will eventually loose the age.  Switch your primary spending to another card with better rewards and just put a small charge on it every couple of months.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

In you Sig it shows that card has a 15K CL, The card has no AF right? I don't/won't do business with Citi so I know nothing about their cards.

But if it has no AF and a 15K CL, keep it, if you're tired of using it every day for coffee and newspapers (and having to write a check) stop using it. Use it once every two months or so for small purchases, they won't close the account if you go this route.

Another option is to just SD it and use it once or twice a year or until they close it due to inactivity.

But it is entirely up to you what you chose to do, all we can do is give you our own personal advice, and mine is, keep it. Smiley Happy

And as another member has said, why not set it up online so you can pay your bill that way, its so much easier. (I have not written a check in probably 8 years?)

I'm big on having all my CC's set up online, so I can pay and just monitor my CC's at all times. (paranoid I know)

Best of Luck!

@boomhower wrote:

Keep it.  You gain absolutely nothing from closing it and will eventually loose the age.  Switch your primary spending to another card with better rewards and just put a small charge on it every couple of months.

Very well said!
Message 7 of 11
dalebb
Valued Contributor

i havent wrote a check in like 10 yrs, and have not used my check card in like 3 yrs, everything is online and thru credit cards, im screwed if the world endsSmiley Surprised

Message 8 of 11
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

With a $15k limit and AAoA, I would keep it. You don't need to use it daily like you have been. What if you set up a recurring charge on there -- like your CMS (assuming you use one!) or auto insurance or something that you pay monthly on auto-pay. And you can set up online payments on the same day each month -- either before the stmt cuts or before the due date, whichever you prefer -- which will make the bill-paying part easier for you as well. 

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 9 of 11
dalebb
Valued Contributor

listen to musty, she/he closer to the 850 than u being 58 points off

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.