Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my Credit One?

tag
mrsno
Valued Member

Re: Should I close my Credit One?

I had a CreditOne card but kept it until I closed on my mortgage so as to not disrupt my credit score. As soon as I closed on my house, I called CreditOne and cancelled. It felt good.

I can't complain, however. Other than the high fees, it was a painless card.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just paid off the small balance on it. It has a measly $300 CL. I got it in March and I definitely want to cut it up before the next annual fee, but I am planning on a car loan around November, so I don't know if it would hurt my score to get rid of it. It's not my oldest card.

Do they charge you your AF once a year? When I had mine, they would charge me $8 each month to add up to the $100 AF, thus I didn't have a big problem holding on to for the months before I closed.

Rebuilding since 2020 from the low 500s

Wallet

Sock Drawer

Chopped
Message 11 of 23
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@mrsno wrote:

I had a CreditOne card but kept it until I closed on my mortgage so as to not disrupt my credit score. As soon as I closed on my house, I called CreditOne and cancelled. It felt good.

I can't complain, however. Other than the high fees, it was a painless card.

@Anonymous wrote:

I just paid off the small balance on it. It has a measly $300 CL. I got it in March and I definitely want to cut it up before the next annual fee, but I am planning on a car loan around November, so I don't know if it would hurt my score to get rid of it. It's not my oldest card.

Do they charge you your AF once a year? When I had mine, they would charge me $8 each month to add up to the $100 AF, thus I didn't have a big problem holding on to for the months before I closed.

That's how mine was too, until I threatened to close and got a a 6-month AF waiver.  I then SDed the card and closed before 6 months was up.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is bad enough that they charge a monthly fee on year two, but then also charge interest on it as well.

Message 13 of 23
Wovenyarn
Regular Contributor

I did the same thing with First Premier.  They were one of my first cards and only had a $200 limit.  I pretty much stopped using the card until one day I got upset when I got hit with what I believe was an annual fee on top of their monthly "servicing" fee.  I closed the account the same day.  That card was the worse.  

Freedom $3k, DCU $5k, BoA Rewards $1k, BoA Americard $2k, Barclay's Ring $3k, Cap 1 Plat $2k, QS1 $2k, Discover IT $500, Lowe's $10k

Scores: EQ 687, TU 709, EX 692
Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

They charged me $75 at once, but it said it was a promotional rate and I would be charged $99 next time.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMHO, I would close it. Don't pay an AF just to keep an account open. I closed a Cap 1 account and I don't remember my scores being negatively impacted. I will be closing my Merrick Bank next month. Best of luck!!!
Message 16 of 23
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Not only should you close it, you should burn the wallet you carried it in. 😊

+1

Message 17 of 23
MarvelGTR
New Contributor

OP, go for it! I just closed mine  = )

FICO 08/09: EX 826/822 EQ 857/850 TU 814/815

CC's: Platinum Amex NPSL | QS Visa 78K | Amazon 30K | CSP 20K | USAA 20K | Costco Citi Card 43.6K | Discover IT 23.6K | Cash + 10K |

Utilization: 3%

Total credit line: 225.2K
Message 18 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You really don't need them but I keep my credit one visa to serve as a reminder of how things were before my new  credit life .

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Burn it into a small black charred piece, pick it up with pliers, double bag it and dispose of it like the toxic waste it is.

Good riddance and my Best Wishes on your improving credit journey!
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.