cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my Nordstrom card? Rebuild the relationship or let it go?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Should I close my Nordstrom card? Rebuild the relationship or let it go?

Back in January 2019 I was able to open a Nordstrom store card. It was paid on time until the end of 2019 and ultimately went to 120+ days status. I was able to pay it off back in April and it's been paid in full ever since. I feel like it's not really doing anything for me. It's paid off and I try to use it every few months to keep it active to try to build a better relationship with TD bank again. But part of me thinks this is all in vain. I asked for a CLI but it was denied.. haven't yet received the letter in the mail. I have gotten approved for other credit since but I'm wondering if I ruined my chances with this card and now it's time to move on. Anyone have experience with growing with the same bank after having a delinquent account? 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I close my Nordstrom card? Rebuild the relationship or let it go?

TDBank is a conservative lender, it's only been 6 months since you paid off. That's an internal red flag, you either need to be patient and suck it up, or close it.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you. I may just wait it out. For another year or so. I guess rather I close it or not those lates are still going to be on my CR for years.. 

Message 3 of 11
sxa001
Valued Contributor

If you can get value out of the card with the current limits, I would just keep it open and use it and PIF, if you aren't getting value on the card sock drawer it and if they close it for lack of use you won't lose much.  I wouldn't proactively close it. 

Message 4 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Honestly no one should recommend closing it or keeping it open without knowing what your current credit profile looks like. For all we know this is your only credit card. Let us know things like current ficos, aaoa, current debt load, how many cc you have etc. That way we know if it will really affect you to close or if its needed at all.

Message 5 of 11
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

The only credit card application I have submitted in the last 12 years that was denied was Nordstrom.  I did not ask for reconsideration.  I simple said to heck with their stupid card.  I don't shop there often, but when I do, I use my general purpose credit cards.  When the cashier tries to hand me the Nordstrom card brochure, I tell them to keep it for somebody else.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 11
drboxing
Established Contributor

id keep the Nordstrom card, use it. The bad payment history is there regardless.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so my credit report looks like:

Auto loan since 2/2018

Nordstrom card since 1/19 

capital one since 9/20 

Soon to be another capital one.. hopefully it starts report early to mid November.. just got approved on Monday. 
I also have my student loan (currently deferred) but that has been reported since 9/2016. 

That's all the credit I have so far. 

Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so my credit report looks like:

Auto loan since 2/2018

Nordstrom card since 1/19 

capital one since 9/20 

Soon to be another capital one.. hopefully it starts report early to mid November.. just got approved on Monday. 
I also have my student loan (currently deferred) but that has been reported since 9/2016. 

That's all the credit I have so far. 

ok thanks for sharing. Its said having like 3 ccs is best for scoring or at least your profile. I would keep it open for now  if its not causing you any issues . As your profile expands and you get better cards you can always close it.   Be careful overloading on Cap One cards as those are usually 3 hps and many can be bucketed so depending which ones you have , use them to establish good payment history and springboard to better cards. My humble opinion of courseSmiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I agree, I'm leaving it open for now! 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.