Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I close my best buy gold mc?

tag
colindidit
Established Contributor

Should I close my best buy gold mc?

My CL is only 500 dollars. I never really use it and the last time I used it was in dec and was PIF. It is run by capital one (formerly HSBC ) which im sure most of you know. It has an AF of 59 dollars and the rewards aren't that great. All CLIs are HPs and I asked about getting this removed and they said they couldn't. I don't wanna go through cap1s EO again as I'm sure they couldn't do anything. Any way I could downgrade to the store card and possibly get a higher limit? I haven't used it anywhere but best buy../ I'm leaning towards closing it because the AF is coming next month
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

Re: Should I close my best buy gold mc?

I would close it. 

High AF - Low CL - Low chance of a worthwhile CLI - Rewards that are 'meh' at best. 

From the looks of your siggy it won't impact your UTIL very much so I don't see a reason not to close the acct. 

Just *my* opinion though Smiley Wink

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 2 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

It's appreciated! Thank you Smiley Happy
Wallet: Barclay-5k, Citadel MC- 5k, Slate- 4k, Freedom- 3k, BOA- 3k, Citi- 2k, AMEXBCE- 2k and more...
Message 3 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

I called and they waived the annual fee ill keep it for the rest of the year then lol
Message 4 of 11
SpeedingWheels
Contributor

As long as there is no AF then there is no reason to close it. 

Walmart Discover ($5000) - Amazon ($5500) - Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2000) - Meijer ($5000) - Discover More ($1800) - Car Care One ($2100) - Amex Delta Skymiles ($2000) - Citi Thank You Preferred ($2000) - Chase Freedom ($500) - Sam's Club, GE ($1237?)
Message 5 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

Only for this year they did tho
Message 6 of 11
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

fair enough!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 7 of 11
scuba_steve
Established Member

I'm in the same boat. I called the regular customer service number and was told they will not waive it. Did you call the EO? I don't want to close mine but, like you, it is a low limit and $49/yr. I was able to PC my other C1 card into a reward card with no AF last month.

Message 8 of 11
colindidit
Established Contributor

I just called the number on my best but card and just said I wanted to close it because I can hardly use it because of the low limit and high annual fee and he transferred me to someone and I reexplained my reasons and he waived the AF for this year
Message 9 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@SpeedingWheels wrote:

I would close it. 

High AF - Low CL - Low chance of a worthwhile CLI - Rewards that are 'meh' at best. 

From the looks of your siggy it won't impact your UTIL very much so I don't see a reason not to close the acct. 

Just *my* opinion though Smiley Wink

Agreed. Not sure if you can request the store card on an app.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.