Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I combine 2 BOA Cards into One?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Should I combine 2 BOA Cards into One?

I have BOA Windham Rewards MC $3K CL and Soverign Amex $5K Cl issued by FIA. Should I call BOA/FIA and see if I can combine both cards into card? One card is about 18 months old and other card is about 9 months old. I can close the 9 month old card and ask them to transfer the CL to Windham Rewards MC. With all the prime cards I have, I dont see any reason to carry many open cards if I can consolidate them into few.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I combine 2 BOA Cards into One?

It's your credit but calling any of these banks is just giving them a reason to work you over.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think calling boa/ fia or any other big bank these days may turn into a nightmare ! you don't want them to combine the 2 cards into 1 closed account !! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I had good luck when I called them for a CLI (>2x), but anytime you ask BofA for anything it is a crap shoot.
Message 4 of 13
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

I really don't know what to say here. It doesn't seem like combining really helps you with your credit score much. If all you are after is lowing the number of cards, I'd probably wait till closer to Christmas when the retailers start giving VISA/MC/Amex some heat to make their Christmas a little bit better...
TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 5 of 13
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Karatz wrote:
I really don't know what to say here. It doesn't seem like combining really helps you with your credit score much. If all you are after is lowing the number of cards, I'd probably wait till closer to Christmas when the retailers start giving VISA/MC/Amex some heat to make their Christmas a little bit better...

There will be massive heat in every direction starting about 01NOV this year. It is going to be a very bad Christmas.
Message 6 of 13
Karatz
Frequent Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Karatz wrote:

There will be massive heat in every direction starting about 01NOV this year. It is going to be a very bad Christmas.

That's my goal for having my last CC paid off, so no xmas interest bonus for them Smiley Happy

TransUnion/Equifax
746/754
Date: 9/24/2009/10/02/2009
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't had any problems talking to BoA.  I've request CLI and done a PC on my account in the past 3 months.  They declined the CLI but approved the PC.

An $8k CL would surely be a handier card than either of the two now....IMO. 

Message 8 of 13
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is exactly what I am thinking. Each card I used to $7100 CL and they CLD them to $5k and $3K. I thought if I combine them I would have some decent card limit with $8K than two cards. Or I'll just sock drawer both cards as I stopped using them after the recent CLD.

Message 9 of 13
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is exactly what I am thinking. Each card I used to $7100 CL and they CLD them to $5k and $3K. I thought if I combine them I would have some decent card limit with $8K than two cards. Or I'll just sock drawer both cards as I stopped using them after the recent CLD.

If that is your intention then go for it. I would wait until normal business hours next week before I made the call though.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.