cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I come out of the garden? Amex Gold Offer!

tag
Emierja99
Contributor

Re: Should I come out of the garden? Amex Gold Offer!

@Citylights18 wrote:

Amex Gold does have a "Hotel Collection" credit of $100 for on property spend on 2 nights or more. It depends also how you vacation. If you are the type of person to do 3 nights in Chicago but don't want to pay Ritz Carlton prices this might find you a hotel in the $175-$200 range of 4 star like quality.

800 dollars of grocery/dining spend equals 38,400 points. I think that is a huge hunk of points in addition to an SUB you might be popping. I do have to agree with the OP that it might be better to try to optimize your business credit card rewards as a first priority if possible.  Its as good as gardening since you aren't opening new personal accounts.

Really, I was not aware of that credit. When I vacation it is usually a minimum of $1200 for hotel stays and it's usually a minimum of 4 nights or more. That is some collection of points. I am definitely considering something. I might just go along with the business side only because I am going to be doing a lot of spend in those categories as well, shipping and travel especially. I appreciate your input, thank you!

Message 11 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@Emierja99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While the AMEX Gold has some travel protections and is great at earning for travel, its not much of a "travel" card. It isn't going to give you status or lounge passes. The 50k offer is has been there since the dawn of time so I wouldn't feel rushed unless for some reason you were banking on that 50K to travel.

I won't aruge, its a great card. I put all of my spending on it to get those sweet, sweet MRs. (Although I am currently sleeping with Miss UR Smiley Wink ) But its always going to be there and AMEX is much less sensitive to opening of other accounts. If you find that your upcoming travel can be a way to easily hit the 4K spend, then its probably a good time. But depending on how many accounts you have opened recently, it might be time to let them age for a bit.

Bingo! That's what I figured. I really was looking at the Delta Gold for those kind of benefits but I seen the offer and said maybe this would be better. Now I see my initial plan was better. I honestly believe the Platinum would probably benefit me as well, a lot of travel happening. But I'm really not using the lounge access because most flights are nonstop and I don't spend anytime in the airport. I heard that Platinum is best for lounge perks. The spend is not a problem. I would be actually using these cards as daily drivers in order to use the MR for travel and lodging. Yes I opened about 10 new accounts this year and that is why I'm apt to sucking it up and using my debit until the accounts age. Smiley Sad

Yes and I can see your stuck with small CL cards on small banks. You could try to cancel something you don't think you'll have long term use for or convert.

Citi Premier might be a good option for a PC from Citi Double Cash. You'll lose out on the SUB but have a card with more potential. Then you can pair it with a Citi Prestige down the line which is x5 on dining while the Premier is 1.25 point redemption. Get the SUB for the Prestige instead.

If you are strategic enough its possible to get most of the reward you are looking for without having to get into additional cards.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 12 of 16
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Emierja99 wrote: Bingo! That's what I figured. I really was looking at the Delta Gold for those kind of benefits but I seen the offer and said maybe this would be better. Now I see my initial plan was better. I honestly believe the Platinum would probably benefit me as well, a lot of travel happening. But I'm really not using the lounge access because most flights are nonstop and I don't spend anytime in the airport. I heard that Platinum is best for lounge perks. The spend is not a problem. I would be actually using these cards as daily drivers in order to use the MR for travel and lodging. Yes I opened about 10 new accounts this year and that is why I'm apt to sucking it up and using my debit until the accounts age. Smiley Sad

No, don't do this. Use your CCs in the right categories to earn your rewards and either just PIF (preferable) or 5-10X the minimum payment. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Emierja99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

While the AMEX Gold has some travel protections and is great at earning for travel, its not much of a "travel" card. It isn't going to give you status or lounge passes. The 50k offer is has been there since the dawn of time so I wouldn't feel rushed unless for some reason you were banking on that 50K to travel.

I won't aruge, its a great card. I put all of my spending on it to get those sweet, sweet MRs. (Although I am currently sleeping with Miss UR Smiley Wink ) But its always going to be there and AMEX is much less sensitive to opening of other accounts. If you find that your upcoming travel can be a way to easily hit the 4K spend, then its probably a good time. But depending on how many accounts you have opened recently, it might be time to let them age for a bit.

Bingo! That's what I figured. I really was looking at the Delta Gold for those kind of benefits but I seen the offer and said maybe this would be better. Now I see my initial plan was better. I honestly believe the Platinum would probably benefit me as well, a lot of travel happening. But I'm really not using the lounge access because most flights are nonstop and I don't spend anytime in the airport. I heard that Platinum is best for lounge perks. The spend is not a problem. I would be actually using these cards as daily drivers in order to use the MR for travel and lodging. Yes I opened about 10 new accounts this year and that is why I'm apt to sucking it up and using my debit until the accounts age. Smiley Sad

Yes and I can see your stuck with small CL cards on small banks. You could try to cancel something you don't think you'll have long term use for or convert.

Citi Premier might be a good option for a PC from Citi Double Cash. You'll lose out on the SUB but have a card with more potential. Then you can pair it with a Citi Prestige down the line which is x5 on dining while the Premier is 1.25 point redemption. Get the SUB for the Prestige instead.

If you are strategic enough its possible to get most of the reward you are looking for without having to get into additional cards.

I would not pc DC to premier, 60k typ sub is 80% of premier's value, losing it is not good. Plus, OP still needs a baseline card like DC.

Message 14 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@CreditInspired wrote:

@Emierja99 wrote: Bingo! That's what I figured. I really was looking at the Delta Gold for those kind of benefits but I seen the offer and said maybe this would be better. Now I see my initial plan was better. I honestly believe the Platinum would probably benefit me as well, a lot of travel happening. But I'm really not using the lounge access because most flights are nonstop and I don't spend anytime in the airport. I heard that Platinum is best for lounge perks. The spend is not a problem. I would be actually using these cards as daily drivers in order to use the MR for travel and lodging. Yes I opened about 10 new accounts this year and that is why I'm apt to sucking it up and using my debit until the accounts age. Smiley Sad

No, don't do this. Use your CCs in the right categories to earn your rewards and either just PIF (preferable) or 5-10X the minimum payment. 

Yes, totally. I know it's not beneficial at all. But here is a breakdown of how I have been using my cards to get the most from them, please let me know where I can improve if possible. 

This is my current structure for maximizing rewards :

SunTrust- grocery spend
(5% cash back up to $6k first 12 months)

5/3 Trio - dining spend
(3% cash back dining)

BBT Spectrum - Gas and utilities spend (3% cash back on gas and 2% on utilities)

NFCU Cash Rewards - miscellaneous spend such as grooming, pampering, entertainment
(1.5 % unlimited cash back)

Amex Blue Cash - airline + hotel spend along with alternate miscellaneous spend with NFCU along with

monthly subscriptions netflix
(1.5 % unlimited cash back)

Discover - airline spend along with monthly subscriptions such as Hulu and learning apps or usage for 5% spend categories
(5% category spend /1% everything else)

Capital One - one of my oldest revolvers only use for fico subscription
(no rewards)

Mission Lane - rarely gets usage, will be closing because it does not have benefits
(no rewards)

Petal - alternate with miscellaneous spend will consider closing as well because CLI not eligible
(1.25% cash back)

Citi DC - just PC'd this card from DP, haven't even received it yet. I was actually going to begin using this as my daily driver when the spend in other categories are maxed
(2% cash back)

For airline and hotel I have been using my debit mainly, only because I haven't been able to put the whole spend on any one card.

Message 15 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@Citylights18 wrote:

@Emierja99 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just PC'd to Double Cash from Diamond Preferred. I wasn't even thinking about that benefit from Citi. I never really looked into Citi travel Rewards. I think I'm bias in the sense to see either Chase or Amex in that regard. Chase isn't happening for another 2 years, so I'm left with Amex.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.