cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I come out of the garden? Amex Gold Offer!

tag
Emierja99
Contributor

Should I come out of the garden? Amex Gold Offer!

Hey all, 

I just completed a massive spree about three months ago. My file is fairly thin and I have been keeping with the mindset to garden for at least 12 months. During my spree, I was unable to get a travel card and I would benefit from one very much. I log on to Amex and I see that I have been pre-approved for an Amex Gold with 50k SUB for 4k spend. 

On the other hand, I was thinking of applying for the same card but the business version in order to prevent the new tradeline and to build up my business profile. I already have a Blue Business Cash about 4 months old. The only thing with that is that I would like to use it for business and would not like to mix business and personal at all. (So there goes my answer, right)

Does this seem worth coming out the garden for or should I just use what I have currently? I am planning quite a bit of travel within the next three months and this is what really piqued my interest. What say you, MF family?

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I come out of the garden? Amex Gold Offer!

How much you spend at grocery and dining per month?

and how do you plan to use 50k MR?

Message 2 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

How much you spend at grocery and dining per month?

and how do you plan to use 50k MR?

Very great questions! I spend about $800 monthly on groceries and dining out. The reward points will be used for redeeming travel, gift cards, and/or hotel stays. 

Message 3 of 16
NRB525
Super Contributor

Recent spree? I would suggest sticking with your plan to garden for a year.  
The 50k MR SUB is nice, but it is not uncommon. A year from now, you will find it again. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You already have BCP. Do you spend more than $6k in groceries? If the majority of the $800 a mth u spend is on restaurants then maybe gold is worth it. Maybe you should get the Amex Green which has lower AF and if you get the incognito offer you can get 45K MR sub for $2k spend I think. You should find the MR calculator on the Amex site and then decide if you want Green or Gold. It’s all dependent on what you think MRs are worth to you. I personally prefer cash back since I don’t travel that much to make collecting MRs worth the additional spend. I’m sure everyone will say garden but it’s your life. If you think you can spend enough to get the Gold sub in 3 mths and it works better for your spend, then go for it.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

While the AMEX Gold has some travel protections and is great at earning for travel, its not much of a "travel" card. It isn't going to give you status or lounge passes. The 50k offer is has been there since the dawn of time so I wouldn't feel rushed unless for some reason you were banking on that 50K to travel.

I won't aruge, its a great card. I put all of my spending on it to get those sweet, sweet MRs. (Although I am currently sleeping with Miss UR Smiley Wink ) But its always going to be there and AMEX is much less sensitive to opening of other accounts. If you find that your upcoming travel can be a way to easily hit the 4K spend, then its probably a good time. But depending on how many accounts you have opened recently, it might be time to let them age for a bit.

Message 6 of 16
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

Amex Gold does have a "Hotel Collection" credit of $100 for on property spend on 2 nights or more. It depends also how you vacation. If you are the type of person to do 3 nights in Chicago but don't want to pay Ritz Carlton prices this might find you a hotel in the $175-$200 range of 4 star like quality.

800 dollars of grocery/dining spend equals 38,400 points. I think that is a huge hunk of points in addition to an SUB you might be popping. I do have to agree with the OP that it might be better to try to optimize your business credit card rewards as a first priority if possible.  Its as good as gardening since you aren't opening new personal accounts.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 7 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Recent spree? I would suggest sticking with your plan to garden for a year.  
The 50k MR SUB is nice, but it is not uncommon. A year from now, you will find it again. 

Yeah, I see. I really thought it was something special. Thanks so much for the input!

Message 8 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You already have BCP. Do you spend more than $6k in groceries? If the majority of the $800 a mth u spend is on restaurants then maybe gold is worth it. Maybe you should get the Amex Green which has lower AF and if you get the incognito offer you can get 45K MR sub for $2k spend I think. You should find the MR calculator on the Amex site and then decide if you want Green or Gold. It’s all dependent on what you think MRs are worth to you. I personally prefer cash back since I don’t travel that much to make collecting MRs worth the additional spend. I’m sure everyone will say garden but it’s your life. If you think you can spend enough to get the Gold sub in 3 mths and it works better for your spend, then go for it.

Well actually I have the Blue Cash Magnet. I wish I had the BCP because I would definitely use that for the grocery spend. I am using my SunTrust Rewards for the grocery at the moment. I was thinking about the green but the only reason it came to my mind is because of the offer that popped up. I was going to go for the Delta Gold because of the upcoming travel and thought that Amex Gold was better than Delta Gold. I'm going to think on it more but I know it would benefit me to get some type of travel card in the near future. Thanks for your breakdown, it helped alot!

Message 9 of 16
Emierja99
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While the AMEX Gold has some travel protections and is great at earning for travel, its not much of a "travel" card. It isn't going to give you status or lounge passes. The 50k offer is has been there since the dawn of time so I wouldn't feel rushed unless for some reason you were banking on that 50K to travel.

I won't aruge, its a great card. I put all of my spending on it to get those sweet, sweet MRs. (Although I am currently sleeping with Miss UR Smiley Wink ) But its always going to be there and AMEX is much less sensitive to opening of other accounts. If you find that your upcoming travel can be a way to easily hit the 4K spend, then its probably a good time. But depending on how many accounts you have opened recently, it might be time to let them age for a bit.

Bingo! That's what I figured. I really was looking at the Delta Gold for those kind of benefits but I seen the offer and said maybe this would be better. Now I see my initial plan was better. I honestly believe the Platinum would probably benefit me as well, a lot of travel happening. But I'm really not using the lounge access because most flights are nonstop and I don't spend anytime in the airport. I heard that Platinum is best for lounge perks. The spend is not a problem. I would be actually using these cards as daily drivers in order to use the MR for travel and lodging. Yes I opened about 10 new accounts this year and that is why I'm apt to sucking it up and using my debit until the accounts age. Smiley Sad

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.