cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I consider closing my BuyPower WEMCs and applying for the new Cap1 Premier Dining WEMC?

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Should I consider closing my BuyPower WEMCs and applying for the new Cap1 Premier Dining WEMC?

Close it.  

IDK, why people are so worried about closing cards.  OP you have plenty of other cards.  Also, I don't even see at one of your favorites so be done w/ it.

I closed a 19.5k Discover, 22k Cap One Venture and 5k Amazon card last year and no AA  but got CLIs from Citi, Amex and Chase, applied for CSR and Citi AA Exec.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 16
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I consider closing my BuyPower WEMCs and applying for the new Cap1 Premier Dining WEMC?

@redpat wrote:

Close it.  

IDK, why people are so worried about closing cards.  OP you have plenty of other cards.  Also, I don't even see at one of your favorites so be done w/ it.

I closed a 19.5k Discover, 22k Cap One Venture and 5k Amazon card last year and no AA  but got CLIs from Citi, Amex and Chase, applied for CSR and Citi AA Exec.

True, but the BuyPower cards are my only WEMCs, and AF-free at that (I don't want a WEMC where there will be an AF).  I do realize that there are new AF-free WEMC since the time I apped for the BuyPower, such as the QS WEMC and the new Cap1 Premier Dining cards, but these were products that were not available at the time of me apping for the BuyPower WEMCs.  As it is, I may close one and possibly keep the other?

One reason I am somewhat reluctant to close cards is because I am finding more and more that the latest T&Cs on the newest cards versions are not really as good as the same cards that were offered further back in the past.  For example, it wasn't too long ago that you could get cards like Chase Freedom and other popular noticeable cards at much lower rates than are available with today's card offerings.

Message 12 of 16
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Existing cards in my selection that are possibly slated for the chopping block and being closed:

(1)  2x BuyPower WEMC (either one or both)

(2)  Chase Freedom

(3)  Chase Slate

Of course, if I close them all, I will be losing ~$14k in total CLs.

Message 13 of 16
redpat
Senior Contributor

@galahad15 wrote:

Existing cards in my selection that are possibly slated for the chopping block and being closed:

(2)  Chase Freedom

(3)  Chase Slate

What's so bad of losing 14k when you have so much to begin with.  There are many that stockpile CLs here but in reality you can only borrow so much.  Even with low interest rate credit cards the costs are high.  The only thing CCs are good for are travel perks/rewards, 0% offers very short-term borrowing and B/T offers for longer-term borrowing.  Other than that they all suck, lol!

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 14 of 16
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

(2)  Chase Freedom

(3)  Chase Slate

What's so bad of losing 14k when you have so much to begin with.  There are many that stockpile CLs here but in reality you can only borrow so much.  Even with low interest rate credit cards the costs are high.  The only thing CCs are good for are travel perks/rewards, 0% offers very short-term borrowing and B/T offers for longer-term borrowing.  Other than that they all suck, lol!

I guess it maybe depends on exactly how low you're looking at, perhaps  Smiley Happy  IME, I am quite happy and satisfied with the interest rates on my BEFCU, Unify, and PACU cards (i.e., very low interest rates in the 5.xx% - 7.xx% range, 2 of them fixed APRs).  The BEFCU and PACU cards also have both cashback and other miscellaneous rewards options.  With interest rates in that range coupled with rewards for example, I would feel comfortable with some degree or amount of longer-term borrowing, if that was something that I hypothetically chose to do for example.  I know that 0% promo cards are another viable alternative to low-APR cards, but if you're like me and sometimes want to set a card on "autopilot", or be able to be in "set-it-and-forget-it" mode, without having to worry about compiling spreadsheets on when exactly 0% promo X or Y is going to expire and timing a new BT accordingly, the low-APR cards thus far have worked very nicely for me.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@galahad15 wrote:

@redpat wrote:

@galahad15 wrote:

(2)  Chase Freedom

(3)  Chase Slate

I guess it maybe depends on exactly how low you're looking at, perhaps  Smiley Happy  IME, I am quite happy and satisfied with the interest rates on my BEFCU, Unify, and PACU cards (i.e., very low interest rates in the 5.xx% - 7.xx% range, 2 of them fixed APRs).  The BEFCU and PACU cards also have both cashback and other miscellaneous rewards options.  With interest rates in that range coupled with rewards for example, I would feel comfortable with some degree or amount of longer-term borrowing, if that was something that I hypothetically chose to do for example.  I know that 0% promo cards are another viable alternative to low-APR cards, but if you're like me and sometimes want to set a card on "autopilot", or be able to be in "set-it-and-forget-it" mode, without having to worr

y about compiling spreadsheets on when exactly 0% promo X or Y is going to expire and timing a new BT accordingly, the low-APR cards thus far have worked very nicely for me.

Even short rate the costs are high? FALSE.  In this economy, you have to be prepared, and not have all your eggs in one basket.  With prime rates slowly creeping higher every quarter, what its slated to hit 5% by 2018??? where else can you get an unsecured loan for that low?

Most cards charge a 3% BT fee.  The BEFCU card doesnt even charge a cash advance fee. Show me another credit card at 5.24% interest that lets you take money out at an ATM with no fee?  There are very few!

We have to remember what works for one person does not work for everyone.  Sometimes its harder for folks  to wrap their minds around getting a card purely for bonus or point earning potential, instead they want to look at it differently.  

Trust me I have tried to get galahad15 to get the 100k offer on the CSR so many times, and there is no branch near by for targeted offers.... it is a mind set many in the rewards community have, to the point they are fanatics. That paying interest is sadistic.  Well, at least galahad15 has bottom of the barrel rate cards that arent 29.99% so if he wants to carry a balance it can be done....

I don't have an issue with banks making a little money off of me. Lord knows I certainly make more from them than they do me.  For example. In mexico, on vacation, without exchanging, I was able to withdraw pesos for only 0.8% fee.  That was exponentially less than the fees some of my friends paid with their debit cards. And I just paid the card off immediately after to avoid interest charges.

I do agree with "in the end you can only borrow so much" for some it becomes an illusion. Theres no way you could actually go past a certain point on all your cards without raising flags, and I am certain that is not galahad15's intention.

If you have any significant amount of rewards saved, see if you can transfer them at least to one card. If not, close it.  IMO you can do better on car pricing. Heck even if you used a friends and family 1% below invoice on a jeep, dodge, chrysler, fiat, you would still have about 3% of dealer holdback to work with plus incentives, not to mention lose your ability to fight over the lemon law.  Its a tossup.  Get a used subaru lol.

I relate to the autopilot thing.  If I could get my SPG card APR at 5.74-6.74% i would move the majority of all my amex CL to it and make that my primary card possibly!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.