Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I dispute??

tag
cmd0906
New Contributor

Should I dispute??

I reserved and prepaid for a hotel room (last month). Upon check-in this weekend they asked for a CC to place on file in case of damages (as all hotels do). I was totally fine until today when I see the charge for room pending on my CC. I called the hotel and the guy tells me that he doesn't see that the room was prepaid. I gave him my confirmation from the payment but he says it could take up to five days to straighten it out. That would be okay BUT my statement drops on the 5th and I do not want that much to report. If I dispute the charge with Cap1 will that keep the amount from reporting?
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

Re: Should I dispute??

@cmd0906 wrote:
I reserved and prepaid for a hotel room (last month). Upon check-in this weekend they asked for a CC to place on file in case of damages (as all hotels do). I was totally fine until today when I see the charge for room pending on my CC. I called the hotel and the guy tells me that he doesn't see that the room was prepaid. I gave him my confirmation from the payment but he says it could take up to five days to straighten it out. That would be okay BUT my statement drops on the 5th and I do not want that much to report. If I dispute the charge with Cap1 will that keep the amount from reporting?

Disputes can take up to 30 days. Normally, they don't take that long, but you may have better luck dealing with the hotel. Cap1 may also say that they want you to wait the 5 days and if the hotel doesn't do what they said they were going to do then dispute.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 2 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with hutchj. Contacting the hotel and forwarding proof of payment should take care of it quicker than a dispute.
Message 3 of 13
cmd0906
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses. I guess it's a waiting game now. My fingers are crossed that it is cleared up soon and doesn't report to CRA
Message 4 of 13
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Pending purchases aren't reported as a balance. Only finalized purchases. If indeed the purchase is only pending, and hasn't been approved for final payment at the hotel, this shouldn't affect utilization.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Agreed. Think OPs fear was the pending was going to post since they are not showing a record of payment.
Message 6 of 13
broseph23
Regular Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Agreed. Think OPs fear was the pending was going to post since they are not showing a record of payment.

Yeah but that pending charge could actually post in a couple days before the statement cuts. OP, do you have proof that your prepaid reservation posted to your account during that billing cycle? Some hotels will authorize your card for the reservation even if it is "prepay" but may actually not fully run the card until after the reservation has ended. 

Age: 25 | FICO: TU 802, EQ 782, EX 801 | FAKO: TU 778, EX 769 | Garden: 6/2015 | Total History: 7yr 6mo | AAoA: 4yr 2mo | Util: 4%
........24000...............10000.....................6000................7000................500..................5000................18000...............10000
Message 7 of 13
cmd0906
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I gave them the proof of payment but they're saying it could take several days for the credit to go back to my cc. They gave me the whole computer glitch excuse. The charge hard posted to my CC yesterday and my statement date is on the 5th of the month. I'm almost thinking I should pay it just so it will not post on my statement in case the credit is not in before the statement.
Message 8 of 13
cmd0906
New Contributor

So I just called my CC company to see if the credit had posted from the hotel only to find out that the idiots (excuse the name calling, just a bit frustrated)  charged another room fee instead of a credit. This one is still pending. So now there's one posted and one pending. I went ahead and disputed the one that posted. I called the hotel and they finally sent me a copy of the reversal via email BUT it was only for one charge. I get the feeling this will be a long battle. UGH!!!

Message 9 of 13
john398
Senior Contributor

Just curious was it prepaid via a 3rd party such as priceline or hotwire or was it prepaid on the hotel website?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.