cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I ever expect a CLI on these cards, or is it hopeless?

tag
NewSurrender
Contributor

Should I ever expect a CLI on these cards, or is it hopeless?

Alright, so I have two BoA cards. One is a Travel Rewards card with a $500 limit and the other is a 1-2-3 Cash Rewards with $1,000 limit.

The Travel Rewards started as a $99/$500 partially secured card in February 2011. It was unsecured February 2012, but the limit stayed the same (was requesed for a CLI in May). About a month ago, I PCed to the Travel Rewards card.

The Cash Rewards I applied for in January of 2012, and was approved for a $1,000 limit. DIdn't try to recon the CL, since I didn't know I could do that.

So can I expect BoA to ever give me an auto CLI, or if I take a HP, can I get a substantial increase? I don't want to take a HP for a $500 increase. Or are they going to pull a Capital One on me and keep me stuck at the same low limits? I like both cards, they have decent rewards, but if these limits are going to stay the same, then I guess I'll SD the card, and actively try to replace them next time I have an app spree (A year from now).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Should I ever expect a CLI on these cards, or is it hopeless?

@NewSurrender wrote:

Alright, so I have two BoA cards. One is a Travel Rewards card with a $500 limit and the other is a 1-2-3 Cash Rewards with $1,000 limit.

The Travel Rewards started as a $99/$500 partially secured card in February 2011. It was unsecured February 2012, but the limit stayed the same (was requesed for a CLI in May). About a month ago, I PCed to the Travel Rewards card.

The Cash Rewards I applied for in January of 2012, and was approved for a $1,000 limit. DIdn't try to recon the CL, since I didn't know I could do that.

So can I expect BoA to ever give me an auto CLI, or if I take a HP, can I get a substantial increase? I don't want to take a HP for a $500 increase. Or are they going to pull a Capital One on me and keep me stuck at the same low limits? I like both cards, they have decent rewards, but if these limits are going to stay the same, then I guess I'll SD the card, and actively try to replace them next time I have an app spree (A year from now).

I have never personally had a HP from BOA for a CLI. I also have not asked for one in a while. Last time about 2 years ago.

Unsure about your 99/500 card but your Cash Rewards Card should be entitled to a CLI. 

BOA has tightened up CLI as far as I have been reading, but I am sure it is all dependent on each individual's situation.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
NewSurrender
Contributor

@JM-AM wrote:

@NewSurrender wrote:

I have never personally had a HP from BOA for a CLI. I also have not asked for one in a while. Last time about 2 years ago.

Unsure about your 99/500 card but your Cash Rewards Card should be entitled to a CLI. 

BOA has tightened up CLI as far as I have been reading, but I am sure it is all dependent on each individual's situation.

Last time I asked for a CLI, it was a HP, and I was denied. So not only was it a HP, but a pointless one at that too.

The card isn't a 99/500 anymore, hasn't been for almost half a year now. It was originally opened as a partially secured, but was unsecured 6 months ago, and was changed to a Travel Rewards a month or two ago.

The Cash Rewards is going to be 6 months old very soon, wonder if I'll get an auto CLI. Highly, highly unlikely I think, considering the fact that the util on that card is high, to take advantage of a 0% intro APR.

Message 3 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Or you could just try paying the balance and waiting for the next statement and then aaking for CLI.  That way your util is in check.

I just got approved for a BoA Travel Rewards for $4.5k and my EX score isn't above 700.  I would get util a little better, wait until after 6 months, request CLI, then buy some more stuff to use your 0% APR if you really want to.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 5
heirophant
Established Contributor

+1. As DaveSignal said, I got Travel Rewards card with a 5k limit at beginning of month with less than 700 on EX. Utilization was low, though.
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.