Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I get Amex Blue AU Card?

tag
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Should I get Amex Blue AU Card?

I dont have much luck trying to get Amex Blue. My DW has Blue. I am wondering if I should ask her to get me an AU Blue Card on her account. That could give me some boost on the average age of my account and may be eventually Amex might give me my my own Blue Card. What do you all think? Should I ask DW for it. I am sure her fee to do this for me would more hefty than what Amex would charge.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Should I get Amex Blue AU Card?

No, I would not. Read other posts here about AMEX and on other forums.

Best advice: cancel all your cards. I have and am doing great and pay cash for everything.

Message 2 of 14
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Smiley Very Happy
Message 3 of 14
oracles
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Best advice: cancel all your cards. I have and am doing great and pay cash for everything.

Are you serious?

If you are just joking then Smiley Very Happy

If you are serious then dude you really need to do some more reading on here.  Not to be rude but you will learn how that statement is more harmful than anything.

Message 4 of 14
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

I'm not sure which of you hijacked CONCORD'S thread, but I hope he gets some serious reply.

CI

Message 5 of 14
Scamp
Valued Contributor

concorduser wrote:
I dont have much luck trying to get Amex Blue. My DW has Blue. I am wondering if I should ask her to get me an AU Blue Card on her account. That could give me some boost on the average age of my account and may be eventually Amex might give me my my own Blue Card. What do you all think? Should I ask DW for it. I am sure her fee to do this for me would more hefty than what Amex would charge.

Smiley Very Happy @ your comment about your wife's fee.

Concord, while it sounds like this might boost your score a bit, I have serious doubts that it would make any difference with AmEx, particularly right now.  I think (personal opinion only!) that they would completely discount your being AU on your wife's card when it came to evaluating you on things other than just straight credit score criteria.

But of course, it's up to you; I don't think it could hurt, assuming your DW handles her card well, but I honestly don't think it would help you get 'in' with AmEx for your own Blue any sooner.

02/12/09 EX: 701 / 02/08/10 EQ: 719 / 02/08/10 TU: 723

Backdoor Numbers, Credit Scoring 101, Understanding Your FICO Score PDF
Message 6 of 14
marty56
Super Contributor

@oracles wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you serious?

If you are just joking then Smiley Very Happy

If you are serious then dude you really need to do some more reading on here.  Not to be rude but you will learn how that statement is more harmful than anything.

Perhaps the poster is really Dave Ramsey.  I wondered if he lurked here.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CHARGE_IT wrote:

I'm not sure which of you hijacked CONCORD'S thread, but I hope he gets some serious reply.

CI

Do you know hobojon?
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

how  much of an average would you gain, and i thought you already had a plat? if not then you could get credit secure if you did.
Message 9 of 14
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Hey Concord,

For what it's worth , when I recently tried to put DW as an AU on my Blue Cash it set in motion the events to my card being closed.

Until then I had PIF'd and flew under their radar mostly. They would soft me with an AR once a month like most others but there was no AA.

When they closed the card and I called about it I was told that because I requested an AU on my account ( and I had to enter her SS#) it triggered a manual AR instead of the normal computerized monthly.

Be careful with AMEX. If it were me I wouldn't do it based on my experience with adding an AU.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.